Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Newbie looking for info #145444 09/17/08 11:15 PM
N
nessy Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi thanks for the warm welcome in the welcome mat the reason I joined is I got five of these lighthouses a few years ago that have been stored in a box and I just brought them out and wanted to find out more about them. I really only collect the Hallmark lighthouses only have room for so much so wondering if anyone can tell me what they might be worth.

I have St Augustine Florida- LL121
Split Rock Minnesota-LL115
Sea Pines South Carolina- LL104
Bolivar Texas- LL120
Southeast Block Rhode Island- LL114

I saw on the other posts people talking about LE, HL, and I am clueless as to the differences. All I know is they have been in boxes since I got them and they were brand new when I did 3 or four years ago.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nessy

Re: Newbie looking for info #145445 09/18/08 12:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights makes three basic "lines" of lighthouses.

LE's are numbered limited editions. They have a maximum set production number. They would be considered as 'collectible' since they are limited in production numbers. They are larger, the smallest generally being around 6" or so in size.

OE's are open editions and sometimes referred to as GLOWs - Great Lighthouses of the World. They were also numbered, for some reason, and normally have a letter preceeding the number. The letter indicates the year of production (not calendar year as in 2008, but first year of production = A). The number is reset each year, with the letter incrementing. There is no limit to how long these may be made or how many are made. They are slightly smaller than the LE models. A light is supposed to be first manufactured as an LE before it is later introduced as an OE. In the earlier years, the OE / GLOW models were often more detailed than the original LE models. In recent years, the OE / GLOW models are being rescuplted and produced with a lantern room that will actually light up.

The Little Light, or LL models were made to satisfy the giftware market. These models normally max out at 3" - 4" in height. They are incredibly detailed for their price point, which ranges from around $15 to $22 or so. They are not limited in production. Many of the LL line represent lights that may not have been produced as LE models. This year and last, there has been an interesting twist on LLs - some have been introduced as numbered special editions, with the initial 300 - 500 of them numbered and sold to (generally) a lighthouse preservation group or dealer. 6 to 9 months after the numbered version is introduced, a general release of the exact same model comes available. Some of the lights produced in this manner include Point Aux Barques, MI and Pottawatomie, WI. There have been about 10 of these types done.

As to value, they would be worth the retail price at most since they are still available in the system.

I'm sure others can give you a better description of the various lines and other insight, but this is a start.

Welcome.

Re: Newbie looking for info #145446 09/18/08 12:22 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights over the years have put out many versions of the same lighthouse. They have put out Limited Editions(LE), Open Editions(OE), Lighted Editions(large Open Editions) and Little Lights(LL). The LEs, OEs and LLs are still being produced. Limited editions are the pieces that retain or have increased in value. Open editions and Little lights have no secondary market at all and are produced year after year while Limited editions have a run of 500 to 10000 depending on when they were produced and how much of a market there is or was for them.

You have what is known as Little Lights by the designation LL121, etc. Their secondary market value is actual retail value running from $9.95 up to $21.95 or slightly higher. The Little Lights are very popular with collectors that have a small amount of space or want the entire line and don't want to spend the money for a Limited edition or slightly small Open edition.

Rich
Re: Newbie looking for info #145447 09/18/08 12:22 AM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nessy - Dave gave you an excellent description of the three lighthouses you asked about. He's the expert on Harbour Lights.

This website will also be a great resource for you. In addition, I bought The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights book which provides a wealth of information on Harbour Lights and the lighthouses themselves, plus a place in the back to record the lighthouses you own.

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: Newbie looking for info #145448 09/18/08 12:58 AM
N
nessy Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the info that makes a lot more sense. I was confused looking at some of the sites with different models of the same lighthouses.

Vanessa

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users