Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The quick, and the bitten... #145188 11/10/03 08:35 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There have been so many rare and great pieces being offered on eBay lately. It's like a collector's dream but the problem is they are all coming at once.

I've bee trying to grab a couple, here and there, concentrating on the old pieces with lightning rods.

Like all wise bidders on eBay, I try not to run the bid up in the beginning. If the auction is going to close at a convenient time, I try to be at the computer clicking on the refresh icon.

I was doing that last night after I had put in a reasonably high bid that I thought would win. Nay not so! I was refreshing the screen once every minute and was winning with 12 seconds to go. Needless to say, someone out bid me in the last 12 seconds (LOL!).

I learned a lesson from this. If you really want the piece, bid as high as you are willing to pay in the last minute or so. Don't take being the high bidder with a few seconds to go as a sign you will win.

In this case I was the bitten and not the quick.

smile Bob smile

P.S. I'm still buying older pieces and will quote you a price if you contact me with what you may want to sell.

Re: The quick, and the bitten... #145189 11/13/03 12:43 AM
Medicman Offline
And Bob,
I'm one of those collectors that just picked up an old piece. Just got notified of winning St. Simon's Island for UNDER $110.00 laugh and saw she had West Quoddy too so I figured I might as well save on shipping so I got it too. For the opening bid of UNDER $70.00.
No boxes...(no big deal cause I don't show them in the curio cabinet with boxes anyway) and the seller had 100% rating...
I'll let ya know when they arrive for viewing.

Re: The quick, and the bitten... #145190 11/13/03 08:21 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Those are great prices for those two hard-to-find HL's. You snuck those bids through. I got "bitten" again a couple days ago and was outbid in the last 14 seconds of the auction of a rare HL. It wasn't a proxy bid that won rather it was someone making the bid in the last few seconds. Such is life...

cool Bob cool

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 840 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users