Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Great Lakes Lighthouse Collection #144993 11/03/00 01:07 PM
S
Shepherd62 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Is there a market for the complete collection with all piece numbers being the same and...has there been any history on the error that was made in the early release of this collection when the letter preceeding the piece number was "B"..(an error)...and was later changed to the proper "A" letter preceeding the number of the piece...also...would there be a secondary market value for 2 sets of the five pieces...with consecutive numbers..e.g. one set all 5 pieces were numbered 500 and all 5 pieces in the next set were numbered 501....

Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Collection #144994 11/03/00 02:06 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Shepherd62 - Welcome to the forums.

I see you're from Houghton Lake MI. I spent many a youthful summer at Higgins Lake where my folks still have a summer cottage over by Gerrish Township Park.

As for the Great Lakes Stamp Set. I'm afraid I can't be too encouraging to you. Others may provide different opinions.

I'm basing my answer on the statement that your sets are #500 and #501 - if you only used this as a hypothetical, please state the actual numbers of the sets which will affect my comments.

The so-called "B- error" affected something less than the first 500 sets (but more than 400 as I recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong). Unless you can show a receipt that indicates you purchased them in 1995 the first year of issue and that receipt shows the serial number as B-something, it would be hard to prove they were issued in the first year of availability with the "B" prefix instead of the "A" prefix.

There is some conflict as to whether, in fact, an "A-" set was or wasn't issued in 1995 (and perhaps again in 1996.) There have been collectors who have claimed to have purchased an "A" set with a serial number under 400 in 1995.

As for the consecutively numbered sets, they might have extra value to a speculator. There might be a small premium paid by some collectors who value 3 digit numbers. Over 5,000 of the releases were shipped as matched number sets (but dealers may have broken up some when selling individual pieces.)

Overall, the stamp sets seem to sell for less than or approximately original retail today.

Of course 3 of these pieces were originally issued as "GLOW" open editions and were later changed to limited editions. For more information see:
Open 2 Limited Harbour Lights

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-03-2000).]

Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Collection #144995 11/03/00 02:36 PM
S
Shepherd62 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wow...thanks for the quick reply....Higgins Lake is as beautiful as ever...even more so during the great October we just had.......
I was a Harbourlights dealer...I received two complete sets right at the beginning..(or near the beginning)...the numbers are B170(1 of each of the 5) and B171 (1 of each of the 5)....I think I would have a hard time producing my invoice...I sold my business in 1997 and don't think I kept any invoices on anything...A Harbourlights collector from Cheboygan..who also happens to be (or was) the postmaster there...gave me a First Day Issue envelope with the 5 stamps issued showing those Great Lakes Lighthouses...Yes...first day issue was in Cheboygan, Michigan. He told me I might want to keep those two sets because of the "B".."A" thing....Now I'm thinking of getting rid of them because I'm not a lighthouse collector.........I have NO idea about the value or collectibility...except what "he" told me 5 years ago..............

Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Collection #144996 11/03/00 03:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, so the two sets do fall within the 'B-error' and you should know when you got 'em. You might check with HL to see if they saved a copy of your invoice and if so if you can get a copy, but that may not be necessary.

In my secondary-market-dealer days, we sold one B set for about $450 as I recall. This isn't a well-known error, isn't the same as a flag error (that's 'carved' into the flag).

There have been some other GLOW letter-prefix errors since then and I don't know that they are bringing any premium over retail (not many GLOWs do). The best prospect for this set will be collectors who 'gotta-have-em-all' including the various 'errors'. There aren't a lot of these guys and gals out there. But there may be a few in here (in the Forums). Why not post the availability in the "Marketplace" Forum and see what offers you get?

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,092 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users