cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144954 12/02/06 11:56 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it were not for ebay?

1. Do you think HL limited editions would be going for the same price as in 1998?

2. Do you think there would have been no significant change compared to where they are today?

3. Do you think HL collectables would be allot more valuable today. Maybe twice or even three times what they went for in 1998

4. Why?

DANIEL
Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144955 12/02/06 05:53 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I think that the limited editions would be holding at least their 1998 retail value if not for Ebay. This is in spite of the over production and GLOWS figuring in. The demise in lighthouse collecting and continued decline in lighthouse interests in general would have basically kept prices down even without Ebay playing a factor.

I think that not only Ebay, but overproduction and GLOWS, destroyed the value of Harbour Lights limited editions. I don't think that the values overall will ever return to even the suggested retail prices. The interest in lighthouses has come and gone except for the true collector. The buy-them-now and sell-them-later-for-a-profit concept went the way of Ebay while the overproduction and GLOWS went hand in hand with Ebay to destroy the collectible value of 80% to 90% of the limited editions.

Rich
Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144956 12/02/06 08:55 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by DANIEL:

1. Do you think HL limited editions would be going for the same price as in 1998?

2. Do you think there would have been no significant change compared to where they are today?

3. Do you think HL collectables would be allot more valuable today. Maybe twice or even three times what they went for in 1998

4. Why?
Ebay is not the bad guy in this situation. Harbour lights, thier dealers and greedy collectors have more culpability in this than ebay does.

The over production by HL spurred on by it's dealers and fueled by those who bought up multiple numbers of each issue for pure speculation caused the downfall in the value of HL.

EBay is just a mirror and a barometer of what is out there. Yes, individual auctions can be out of whack but generally speaking the prices in a market a set by outside pressures not the physical market place itself.

The value went down because HL flooded the market at the wrong time and did not correct it's mistakes quickly enough. the amount of items out there on dealers shelves became untenable for them to hold onto and they dumped them en masse into the market- Ebay- whiach lowered their value.

An item can only go up in value if there are more people chasing less items- not the other way around.

Ebay is not the villian here.

Dennis

Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144957 12/03/06 12:22 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Ebay is not the bad guy in this situation.
... hear hear ...

Ebay can only fascilitate what people want to do. So - if there is a villan - it is, like Dennis said, the greedy folk that always wanted more

No, they should have improved, had the market not been flooded with too many

No, without the flooding the price would have improved

Yes, without the flooding

4. Why?
I think if Limited Editions would have been issued in smaller numbers, they would have and will improve their value in time. And that goes for each issue as well as for the number of issues.

Personally I think there could be room fdr a multi-pronged approach.

1 Limited Editions, few in number and high in price/value

2 GLOW like editions, lower in value and price to make them more affordable for the folks that can't keep up with the expensive ones

3 OF COURSE the LLOMs....

... just my opinion ...

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144958 12/03/06 03:01 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No
No
No
4. Why?
Ebay is not the problem, it's the economy since 2000. If the economy was better, Ebay would be a good thing. The whole collectable market is down, not just with Harbour Lights collecting. With money is short supply in our wallets and pocket books due to needing to spend it on living expenses first, we have less to spend on our favorite collectables.
Look at the last election results. I feel voters are most conserned with their current financial state then whats going on in Iraq. Not taken any conserns away from the Iraq situation, just putting a higher priority on our finances.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144959 12/11/06 01:42 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think it is a combination of everything. I went to check out the value of my retired Hummels, LLadros and Norman Rockwell. Worthless. I think its Ebay and the fact that most people today dont collect like we did in the past. I collected plates and cant sell them for $2.00. I said before that if you collect you better love them because it is rare to make a profit years latter.

Re: What do you think Harbour Lights would be worth today if it was not for ebay? #144960 12/11/06 04:13 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:

4. Why?
1. All collectibles have suffered as of late. Ebay makes the non-believers easier to do business with. The non-believers are those who feel they must sell their collectibles because the sky is falling. If all collectors refused to fall victim to the hard times the collectible industry is going through, the worth of their collection would be more.

2. The worth of a collectible is only what someone is willing to give you for it. It doesn't matter whether it's 1998 or 2006. Supply and demand effect pricing. I have it and you want it, then you will pay. On the other hand, I have it and really want to get rid of it so I would accept any reasonable offer. Then you must take into consideration the "loss of interest" factor. People lose their motivation to collect and just want whatever they can get for it, and then move on.

3. Once again, your collectibles are only worth what someone is willing to give you for them. Ebay has opened the door for former collectors to dump their collections in a buyer's lap with little effort on the buyers part. A world full of potential buyers is only a click away. In the old days it was a lot more difficult to advertise your collectibles to potential buyers. Ebay has made it easy for sellers to give their collections away, and that's just what many of them have done.

4. Why? Because that's just the way it is in the collectible industry.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users