Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144837 02/18/02 05:59 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
About once a month I get an email from a collector who is looking for a current valuation of their collection. Sometimes they want to insure it, others they want to sell it.

All of us have seen posts in the MarketPlace Forum that appear to have prices based on the 1998 Greenbook (now out of print.)

How would you respond to this question? And what advice can you give someone who wants to find realistic current values?

What would you say to someone who has pieces either not retired or readily available at Retired@Retail?

What advice would you give about selling GLOWs?

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 02-18-2002).]

Re: A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144838 02/18/02 07:29 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Interesting topic, John.

GLOWs? If you bought a GLOW you shouldn't be selling it. The reason you bought the GLOW is because you thought you couldn't find the limited edition at a reasonable price. Now you did find the LE and you don't know what to do with the GLOW. True value (not the hardware store)? Check eBay and you'll find all the GLOWs you want for $30-$35 each.

Pieces not yet retired and still available at retail? You could probably ask the retail price but who is going to pay for shipping? Most people will try to find a dealer from out of state who offers free shipping and no sales tax to out-of-staters and buy from them. They would be paying retail but probably saving $5 - $10 in tax & shipping costs.

Hard to find limited editions? Get yourself a 1998 version of the Greenbook Guide of HLs. Deduct around 30% from their estimated value. Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would pay that amount for that piece. Be prepared to wait a considerable time at that asking price. Consider lowering the price little by little if you are really interested in selling.

Any other questions?

Bob

Re: A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144839 02/18/02 09:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Bob's thoughts except I would like to add a few things that I feel.

On GLOWS: Most GLOWS will sell on the secondary market in the $30-$40 range because there is no increase in market value as long as they are being produced. Once they retire for whatever reason, they may increase a small amount depending on the reason for retirement. Boston "Harbour" is a good example of a GLOW increasing in value but it can still be found selling for anywhere from $60-$70. Another example is Barnegat with it's "Slim" tower selling for around $50-$55. Not a big return on you investment, however, your investment was not large and when you buy the GLOW you must understand that when you decide to sell, for whatever reason, the market for GLOWs is very small.

Current Issues/Recent Retirements: Call around and try to buy retail. If no luck, call HL and they will put you in touch with a dealer that still has the piece you are looking for. Retired at Retail in the Forums is another good choice and finally post in the Forums and indicate you are looking for that piece. I would expect to pay shipping unless you find a dealer that ships free and the free is usually if you pay over $100.00. Very seldom will you find a free shipment because that takes away from the profit of the seller.

Older Retired Pieces: Lots of luck and pleanty of patience is what I would advise, unless you are rich and money is no object. The time to buy is now because I have never seen the prices in the Marketplace as cheap as they are now (with a few exceptions). You can always hold on and hope that you find that special piece "just a little cheaper" but, you may loose it trying to save $5-$10 and then you will be sorry you tried to save the extra few bucks. If you are selling something, look at the Greenbook and as Bob said "decrease the selling price by 30% and give it a shot or try looking at the Marketplace and see what that same piece is averageing and if you can live with that price, or reduce it another $5, give it a try. And again, ask yourself "would I buy this piece at that price" or am I looking for a unsuspecting buyer to pay the cost. Most serious collectors, and even novice collectors, know what the product is currently going for.

Rich

Rich
Re: A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144840 02/19/02 01:32 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Out of curiosity, how much is your time worth? How many long distance toll calls are you willing to make to save the cost of shipping? How much time are you willing to invest in searching the web looking for dealers who ship free? Perhaps that first one provided, who charges a nominal fee for shipping is in fact the best deal.

Don't disagree with your suggestions, but when you spend $10 to save $5 have you saved?

FWIW,
Dave

Re: A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144841 02/21/02 01:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said, Dave.

Harry

Re: A Recurring Question: Help Forumulate The Answer #144842 02/21/02 02:28 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
No toll calls here just toll free to my auto ship dealer in Delaware and they only charge me 4.95 shipping. Although I do buy from my local dealer the 4.95 shipping is still a savings in most cases over the 8% sales tax in NY.

I have a four year relationship with my autoship dealer in Delaware where we did live before moving to NY. My local dealer here in NY is very good as well so I buy from both of them as evenly as possible.

Lonnie

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users