Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What are they worth #144308 10/26/07 04:24 PM
T
ted1944 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have 4 very low numbered (101, 102, 104, 112)Lighthouses that I'm trying to find out what they might be worth. Any websites where I can get that info.
Thanks
Ted1944

Re: What are they worth #144309 10/26/07 05:01 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
By low numbered, do you mean:

The four pieces with those "HL Numbers" (item numbers), i.e., HL101 - Admiralty Head, WA; HL102 Cape Hatteras, HL104 Sandy Hook, and HL112 Sand Harbor, WI?

Or, do you have four random Harbour Lights pieces that are numbers 101,102,104 and 112 in the production run of that specific light?

Depending on which one of those scenarios you have, your answer could be VERY different, although there is strong value in both.

Re: What are they worth #144310 10/26/07 05:36 PM
T
ted1944 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
#101 - 550/5500 with stamp and original box
#102 - 481/5500 with stamp and original box
#104 - 304/5500 with stamp and original box
#112 - with original box

Re: What are they worth #144311 10/27/07 06:27 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
If you sold them six years ago, you would have fetched a great price. Nowadays, these pieces don't bring what they used to. The fact they are three-digit flag numbers does help. If they have their original boxes and paperwork, that is a plus.

Now to the facts of life:

HL 101 closed on eBay for $76.00 in mid October. Not a 3-digit piece but not everyone cares. The most I ever paid for a lightning rod HL 101 was $150, but that was many years ago when the market was better.

HL 102 is the treasure of your group of four. Most people don't want to part with theirs unless they collect big bucks. I just purchased a 3-digit Canadian with original white Castle Studio box for $280. I was happy to get it for that price. I would guess that if someone really needed a 102 for their collection, they would probably try to spend no more than $300-$350 at this stage of the economy. Not every one wants to open their wallets and pocketbooks like the old days.

HL 104 is not fairly common but never sold as high as the 101 and 102. I just purchased another 104 for $70 with a lightning rod and original box. I also purchased two 104's a couple of years ago at a store closing for well below retail. I would guess your 3-digit might bring as much as $100-$125, but that's only a "guesstimate". I was once told that New Jersey has more HL Collectors than any other state. Sandy Hook is a Jersey light.

HL 112 is probably worth less than your others. Three-digit flags are rarely seen on eBay, which is the major source of secondary market sales. That is something you have going for you. My "guesstimate" would be somewhere around $80-$100. The regular 112's sell for a heck of a lot less on eBay.

Now comes the "If I were you" part: Post your HL's in the New Marketplace section here at the Collector Forum. Grab your fishing rod and cast out into the collector's sea and see if you can reel in a buyer with your "best reasonable offer" lure. If you like an offer, take it. If you don't, then hold on to your HL treasures and try again later.

The next step is eBay. The only problem is price flucuation. Sometimes a piece brings top dollar, other times rock bottom pricing. Set a reserve to cover you investment. Always remember your HL's are only worth what someone is willing to pay you for them. If you paid retail for your pieces you are in a very good position to capitalize on that fact. If you paid top dollar many years ago, be prepared to take a substantial loss.

The fact you posted this topic at the CF may bring a few offers your way. If not, post your HL's at the New Marketplace. You will connected to the most connected-collectors of Harbour Lights. Surely, someone amongst the group will contact you.

smile Bob smile

Re: What are they worth #144312 10/27/07 01:37 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
If not, post your HL's at the New Marketplace
It's now called the Trading Post, you can post any Harbour Light item for sale in that forum..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What are they worth #144313 10/29/07 01:12 AM
W
wishigan Offline
W
If some collectors place a higher value on 3 digit pieces over 4 digit, in comparison, what would 2 digit do to the value?

Re: What are they worth #144314 10/29/07 02:45 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think it today's marketplace there would be much premium on a 3-digit piece. Unless something else made it more unique -- such as a variation that occured only in the earliest pieces of a production run.

Even a 2-digit piece doesn't seem to matter too much to today's collector. And maybe it shouldn't either.

With the production runs so small compared with the old days, all of the pieces are produced in one run. They are uniform in appearance -- no painting variations, no improvements during the production run, etc.

Re: What are they worth #144315 10/29/07 08:59 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
It's now called the Trading Post, you can post any Harbour Light item for sale in that forum
New Marketplace? I guess my fingers were typing before my brain went into gear. How could I forget it is now the Trading Post. Sorry for the wrong info, Ted, and thanks for the reminder, Paul. I can just see Ted saying, "I don't see a New Marketplace."

Things have been really hectic with my bride in the hospital and my selling of my elderly aunt's home happening at the same time. I was stuck handling everything for my aunt (no kids) including the lovely task of cleaning the place out before the closing.

The good news is Lorna may come home today and I will be taking care of her for the next few weeks. More good news is the house is sold and my aunt is living very well in an assisted living place about five miles away. She went from her home to a nursing home, and then to assisted living. The assisted living is like living at a luxury hotel. I should be so lucky when I get old(er).

Quote:
If some collectors place a higher value on 3 digit pieces over 4 digit, in comparison, what would 2 digit do to the value?
Wishigan, I place a higher value on lower flag#'s. I faithfully "patrol" eBay each and every day looking for special flag #'s. Yes, I will bid if they have one I find interesting like 2-digit, lower 3-digits, all the numbers the same like 2222, 3333, 4444, etc., even though I already have that model.

I have a 2-digit auto ship on LE's and on AB's. That means I pay full retail pricing. In many cases these same pieces with higher flag #'s are available on eBay at discounted prices, therefore, making them available at a considerable cost savings. I choose to support my HL Dealer and buy at retail when it comes to brand new pieces. After that I head for the secondary market to find the best pieces people are selling for deeply discounted prices. Then there's the case of finding those rare pieces that would have never been found if it wasn't for eBay.

I've seen plenty of 2-digit HL's go for a lot less than retail on eBay. It's the luck of the draw. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose when you play the secondary market game.

cool Bob cool

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users