Next Thread
Print Thread
INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144063 08/01/10 10:45 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY

Doing a top ten on ebay just isn’t practical anymore. So I decided to just pick interesting Harbour Lights on Ebay. I have listed two below from a total of ten that I have chosen. Hopefully the rest of ten is to follow.

1. Pharos collection- Wants $1500 but didn’t sell

Quote:
Set of 5 Harbour Lights, Pharos Collection. Needles Point, Truyn Du, Bell Rock, Ballinacourty Point, Portland Bill.
This set is from a limited edition of only about 400 of each made. My son gave me this set some years ago. Only out of box to take photo's. and are in brand new mint condition. My son sold over 200 sets in the states from his nautical shop in England, as I am sure people will remember. The price will include free shipping on a 3day international delivery, Any tax incurred in the US to be paid by the buyer. This is a truly rare chance to buy this set.
Well this obviously didn’t sell for $1500, and it probably would even have a hard time selling for $150. The Name of his Son that the seller is talking about is Mark and the name of the dealership was “All Things Nautical”. Just after the Millennia, Mark was able to offer cheap shipping at $40 making him cheapest overseas dealer to buy from. He sold around 200 and I doubt that no more than another 50 were sold in U.S. by other UK dealers. Even though 400 Pharos was produced and sent to the UK, I estimate that only 250 of them actually made it to the States.

For the few that may not have heard of the Pharos, The story goes back to 1999 when HL intended it for marketing outside the US - starting in England and Germany. Then in February of 2000 Harbour lights decided to add US to the marking plans for the Pharos. With an edition size of 8,000 and the first 2,000 was now to go to the US. It didn’t take long till all the orders in the US were filled.

But in October 2000 because of quality control problems HL decided to Table the Pharos but 400 of them where released in the UK. Their numbers started with 2001 and the ended with 2400. The hunt began. The Harbour Light dealer search had 49 UK dealers with their phone numbers. Many collectors started their search and came up empty. But those that was resourceful where putting the Pharos up for Market in the US for as high as $750. Then in August of 2001 it was announce on this forum the email address of Mark at “All Things Nautical” and that opened the door for all the forum members to purchase the Pharos at a reasonable price of $279 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290448239585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2. HARBOUR LIGHTS HL102 $203
LIMITED EDITION: #668 of 5500 "MADE IN CANADA" WITH ORIGINAL BOX

Quote:
This Lighthouse Sculpture was issued in 1991
This Lighthouse measures approximately: Base 4 1/2” by Height 9 ” These items have been “Displayed” in a smoke free environment and may have some worn spots needing touch up. The original box may have some worn rough edges and small tears on the lid flaps. This box is “NOT” in new condition due to being in storage.
For a Hatteras HL101 this went a little high. They have been going around $100 to $150.
But lets look a little closer.
Before reading any farther, take a look at the picture of this Hatteras and see if you can tell what’s different about it. If you said that its number was gone over with a brown sharpie, while that is true but there is something different about this particular Hatteas that makes it stand out from all of the rest.

That’s right, it’s the stripes. This Hatteras starts its white stripe at the door while the standard figurine starts with black. If you have never heard of this variation you are probably not alone and the reason this variation has not been publicize is that it was never considered a variation but an artist preference. Jim Rutherford who was the first Author on Harbour Light material started the game rules on how we identified variations.
He felt that since the painting was done by human hands and that there were so many variations of painting style that they should not be considered variations but as artist preference. He went one step farther and stated that only factory changes was a variation.

To a point I agree with Jim. It would be ridiculous to identify all the Old point Loma flower color types or all of the Michigan City green water varieties. First of all somebody would have to identify these paint types so we can classify them as a variation. Well I don’t see that happening. But when it comes to hard case black and white evidence I think we should consider ones like the Hatteras stripe color change as a variation.

Okay back to the white stripe Hatteras variation. As far as I know they have only been found on the Canadian versions. There are at least five of them to exist; generally their numbers are from 668 to 718. But they are not held to those numbers. One has been found with a number as high as 2020. My guess-timate of how many exist is around 50, but no one knows for sure.
The last White stripe that was one ebay about two months ago went for $350. I would use that as the going price since I believe the one that went for $203 to be devalued because of it not having the original hand written number. I also would have no problem seeing this variation valued at $500 for insurance value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200485017561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

DANIEL
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144064 08/02/10 12:22 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Very interesting story about the Pharos Collection. I bought my set in late 2004 or early 2005. I found 3 sets in England and I bought 1 set, I believe that Rock also bought a set and I have no idea who got the 3rd set. I think I paid about $350.00 with shipping.

Rich
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144065 08/02/10 09:15 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Why would a true collector write over the number. Modifications like that lower the value. If the number is faded off, so be it. Leave it original means leave it alone.

smile Bob

Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144066 08/02/10 10:46 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob
If he did it in black it may have not been so obvious.

Rich
Didn't you buy your Pharos set with the rest of us in 2001/2002?

DANIEL
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144067 08/02/10 03:25 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Daniel

Thanks for bringing back one of my favorites on CF--HL on ebay-- even if it is now down from 10 to 2. I really enjoy learning from your research and experienced opinions as you take the time to write at length about each featured lighthouse!!

Thanks for taking the time to share this info. with us. Great to see you posting again on CF. Missed you and your insightful posts.

Max

Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144068 08/02/10 04:40 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You are welcome.
I still plan on doing the ten but instead of taking a couple of weeks to totally finish it, I decided to release sections as I go. I already have the ten picked out, I just have to sit down and put something together for the rest of them.

DANIEL
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144069 08/02/10 08:18 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Daniel your postings on this subject is my favorite part of this Form.

Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144070 08/02/10 09:52 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
An interesting HL history story for many of the newer collectors, and perhaps even for some of the more experienced ones.

Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144071 08/02/10 10:21 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Daniel - Yes I did buy the Pharos Collection when everyone else bought them. It was, as you said, the British Isles Collection of three that I bought in 2004-2005. I found the 3 sets sitting in a small shop in England and I bought one set, Rock bought the 2nd set and you were going to buy the third set and then didn't. I have no idea who bought that 3rd set but I know I spent over $60.00 on calls to all the shops listed in the HL Dealer pamphlet looking for a set.

Old age and too many HLs is starting to take over my brain. I believe I paid $240 for the set and $60 in shipping. It took almost 4 weeks to get them as they got lost at the London Airport for about a week.

Rich
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144072 08/02/10 10:22 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As usual, Daniel, Information that is interesting and relevant the new collector and informative to those of us who are not well educated in HL histry and lore!!
Like others above have said one, of my favorite threads on the Forums! Thank you!!
Rick

Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144073 08/02/10 11:57 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Daniel, I followed these two auctions as well, but it always good to get your insight. Thanks !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144074 08/04/10 07:24 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the information Daniel! Always learn from your postings!!!!

Debbie
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144075 08/08/10 05:59 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Daniel, Thanks for the wonderful post on the Pharos Collection. It is always a facinating read if it is yours. I bought the three British Isles lights in three seperate auctions (same day, same seller) last May on eBay. I paid under $250. for all three, including shipping, and fianlly parachuted off of cloud nine about a week later! Please, Daniel- I have NO INFORMATION on the British Isles Set because they are not in the GUIDE, so ANY correct info on them would be a plus. Also, I bought the Pharos Collection from a private collector, and paid $1000.00 for them, incl shp, and I felt lucky to get them. Those of you who were collecting years ago, got a better price, but now, they are rarer than hen's teeth! Even so, there wasn't a long line of buyers willing to pay that price, so I wouldn't call it 'the going price' for the Pharos Collection. For me, these were simply MUST HAVE pieces.

Angels Gate
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144076 08/16/10 11:25 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
My internet is down now for over a week.
I had a lightning struck at my home and took out our modem, router and the modem/motherboard out of three computers. I made sure I had the outlets surge protected but I neglected to protect the phone line. Another lessons learned.
Got the main router working but still waiting for phone man to check lines and I have a router on the way. Getting one computer fixed on warranty but still have to work on mine and my daughters.

Angels gate your British Isles was on my list of most interesting lighthouses on ebay.

DANIEL
Re: INTERESTING LIGHTHOUSES ON EBAY #144077 08/27/10 05:06 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Daniel, I have been down with a very painful condition in my heel, but am feeling human again, and hope you get all computers up and running, so we can enjoy (and benefit from) your posts again soon.

Angels Gate

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users