Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143701 10/04/02 03:26 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Here's the link below if you want to follow the Gold Fort Tompkins that is for sale on ebay!

Gold Fort Tompkins

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143702 10/05/02 02:24 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Starting to climb! With 7 1/2 days to go, it's at $1375. Reserve not met, but should go alot higher.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143703 10/06/02 02:07 PM
Larry Offline
With 6 1/2 days to go, it's at $1625. Reserve not met.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143704 10/08/02 12:58 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just an update on this:

$1800 with 4 1/2 days to go! Reserve still not met at this time!

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143705 10/08/02 03:40 PM
lhlover Offline
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy for some one to pay $1,800 or more for a Harbour Light that was originally given to a person for free because he/she was lucky enough to have their name(s) pulled from a hat? I mean, with that much money you could travel to the Lighthouse and the others around it. You could even donate a good portion of that money to help save that lighthouse and to help keep it running for years to come. When did the replicas become more valuable than the lighthouses themselves? confused

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143706 10/08/02 04:05 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
BJ, what about $4000 for an Eddystone GOLD? (At least that money will go to help a great lighthouse!) These are very rare pieces and only a very few will ever win one, much less buy one at these prices! The Fort Tompkins GOLD should/will go much higher before it's over in a few days! If someone wants one bad enough, they will have to pay big bucks to get it!

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143707 10/08/02 04:08 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
You think that getting something for free and then selling it for $1,800 (or more) is a crime?

Check out this controversy over Barry Bonds' 73rd home run ball said to be worth $1.5 million:

http://www.bonds73rd.com/

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143708 10/08/02 04:17 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Very interesting, John! Who will be the winner of this dispute? The lawyers, of course!

With that kind of money, someone could buy a whole bunch of GOLD lighthouses!! laugh laugh laugh

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143709 10/08/02 04:26 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
What's the number of gold colored editions?
Eddystone 1?
Fort Tompkins ? 5+ for each season?
Hannibal?
Previous year's and the one's auctioned at the Reunion?

Randy's Mrs's silver(ed RK) Stonington may be the pick of the litter? laugh

Is Eddystone one of a kind( or less than a handful)? which would make it much more valuable than the 20+ Ft Toms!

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143710 10/08/02 04:46 PM
lhlover Offline
Whatever happened to common courtesy? The man drops the ball or catches the ball - it's still his. My grandmother would have taken each one of those people by the ear and taught them common courtesy. I guess now-a-days everything is about the amount of money it will bring in. frown

No, I wouldn't spend $4,000, $2,000, or even $1,000 on a rare Harbour Light. Like I stated before, I could visit the lighthouse itself for less than that or even donate a good portion of the money to the Lighthouse to help restore it. My main love in life is to visit the lighthouses and help save them from destruction - collecting replicas (like Harbour Lights) is just a nice hobby to remind me of the lighthouses I am helping to save. I don't begrudge any one for selling their Harbour Lights, whether purchased or won, but it's a bit much to put a extremely high reserve on something that was given freely. I hope though that the selling HL helps Irish22's sister out - she should be able to pay all her bills and then some.

Good luck also to the rich people that are bidding on the item - I guess when you have more money than you know what to do with you can spend that kind of money on something that only the few select people that enter your home will be able to see. And while your spreading around all those extra thousands of dollars you have, you may want to forward a buck or two to the actual Lighthouse to ensure it's future.

Just stating my opinion, smile

BonnieJean
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143711 10/08/02 05:04 PM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
I am sorry the Gold Fort Tompkins has created such a stir here. I only set the reserve after talking to many people here at lighthousekeepers. The only thing I wanted to do was make sure I had all my facts straight and do a good job showing the Gold.
As for the money going to benefit someone or something, my sister (who won the Tompkins) felt this was a Godsend. She needed to do something to pay off some bills before November because she is losing part of their income. All of the sudden this Golden Lighthouse falls into her lap.
For those who don't already know, the reserve on the Gold Fort Tompkins is $3700.00. For those of you that wrote me and gave me the help and the suggestions, I thank you all very much. I appreciate it greatly.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143712 10/08/02 05:23 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Irish22:
I am sorry the Gold Fort Tompkins has created such a stir here.
It's an interesting topic, Irish. I don't see any negatives being tossed around. I think it's fun to project what we might do in your situation? You should prepare yourself for the 'what if' - ...the reserve is not met. It is possible to negotiate with the high bidder. BUT as many of us who follow ebay know, the last hour or minutes of the auction might bring some serious bidders 'out of left field' who do not want to enter a bidding war. (This you probably know with a 282 rating.)Good Luck to you and your sister, and enjoy the speculation and bidding.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143713 10/08/02 05:49 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
I, too, am intrigued by this whole situation. I thought about what I would do had I won a gold HL (I probably wouldn't keep it...). And I concluded that I would try to work out a trade of some sort to try to get some of the most famous LE's that I would never be able to afford otherwise (Ocracoke, Hatteras, Portland Head, St. Augustine, etc.). But, I guess selling it would help me accomplish the same goal since I could sell it, and then use that money to buy those pieces.

But, at the same time, if selling it would allow me to better my financial outlook, then I think that would be a laugh GREAT laugh way to do it. Good Luck to you, Irish22 (and your sister). You're doing the right thing...

(P.S. Who do I think should end up with the Barry Bonds/73rd home run ball...? How about giving it back to BARRY BONDS!!!!!!!)

--Jeff
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143714 10/08/02 06:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
No need to apologize Irish. This is just a spirited group with lots of opinions. Yours are just as good as anyone elses.

Hope you maximize out what you can get. With the Gold Eddystone selling for $4,000 (I believe 10 were made), it bodes well for a similar outcome for you.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143715 10/08/02 09:30 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Irish, I agree with John and the others. It makes for great discussion! Everyone has bills to pay and I see no reason not to sell this piece if this is what she has to do! It's a great piece and I bet she would love to keep it, but bills have to be paid! I wish her luck in getting a great price for it! I see no reason for it not to go higher! I hope you don't have a problem with me posting it here in the forums. It's great to watch and see how it will do!

Bob, my (my wife's) Stonington is SILVER! Nancy told us there are only two and the other is sitting on her desk back at the office! I feel very lucky to be able to display this beauty! It made that 9 1/2 hour drive home from Baltimore so much nicer!

So, how many GOLD Eddies were made? I have heard 10 and also 20! Which is it?!?

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143716 10/08/02 09:44 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Irish, GO FOR IT and good luck. I applaude you for taking the ball and running with it by trying to help a loved one. There are many here on this Forum, that if they had the chance, would probably do what you are doing. If I had the chance I know I would because I would use the money to buy new lighthouses as they come out rather then keep just one. The other thing is all of us have our own opinions and whos to say anyone is right or wrong. Do what you have to do and never look back at what others are saying or doing. GOOD LUCK and I hope you double your reserve.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143717 10/10/02 01:00 AM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
Thank you all very much for the positive feedback. I was worried that I may have done something wrong and started an argument here among all of you and that was the last thing I wanted to do. This is a really super site and I know you all have been here so much longer than me :rolleyes: <--newbie here. You all seem to have such a good rapport with one another and I felt I may have done something to damage that. You are all a terrific bunch and I love reading all your postings because you are knowledgable in what you talk about and you all are quite witty at times. Ok...quite hilarious! laugh
I sort of envy lhlover going out and doing the work she does with the lighthouses and all. She must be very proud of all the accomplishments. I sure would be if it were me! I congratulate you on all your fine work. But, right now, to me, family comes first. It always has.
Now, if I were to be getting the proceeds from this sale, you could bet that I would be down at my dealer buying every Little Light they had on the shelf! smile And the Baseball money...probably donating part of it to save lighthouses :p and the rest buying a house to store all the Harbour Lights I could get! laugh

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143718 10/10/02 02:48 PM
lhlover Offline
Irish22, please don't think I'm mad at you, quite the opposite. If I have to admitt to being mad at anyone it would be the money-loaded people that pay the outrageous price for a lighthouse such as yours, but complain when they have to pay $5.00 per person to climb a lighthouse. Honestly, I would probably have sold your lighthouse also - I don't really think it's that nice to look at (I hate the color gold - I'm a silver/white gold lover). I like the normal colored HL's - they look more like the real thing. Don't get me wrong - if I won a gold one, I would probably keep it for a while, until I either got tired of looking at it or needed the money like your sister. Though I'm probably like everyone else - I would either buy more, normal colored HL's or use it at a Lighthouse or two. smile

I just think that it's crazy that there are people that will pay over a thousand dollars for an item that was original given as a gift to someone. In this world you've got to make money where you can - if someone is willing to give you $4,000 for an item that you didn't pay anything for - damn, that's excellant! Too bad your sister didn't win two of them! :p Family though is one of the most important things in life. I hope your sister is grateful that you decided to help her. And just think, you met a bunch of new friends in the process. laugh

Honestly, I wish there was more I could do for the Lighthouses, not only here in Florida, but here in the US. But my being part of the Florida Lighthouse Association and helping other Lighthouses is also a bit selfish - I enjoy visiting each and every Lighthouse and this way I get to do that. I usually donate extra money when I pay for the Lighthouse fee, I also try to purchase the HL of that Lighthouse there if I don't already have it. I also buy a bunch of postcards and other gifts because I know that the profits go directly to either the Lighthouse or the people that help run the Lighthouse. I not only get satisfaction by having the "gifts", but also knowing that it's going to a good cause. wink

There are many people I envy here. But I respect each and every member here, and everyone that isn't a member, that either takes time out to help, donates money to, or just drives down the coast to visit a Lighthouse. Every little bit helps to save a lighthouse, even just getting other people interested in Lighthouses helps - you never know who you may light the spark in - it may just be someone important. smile

Also, don't worry about causing an agrument, I think we live for things like this. It just helps show each of us that we are all individuals with our own personalities and opinions. We may have a common interest and love - Lighthouses, but we are still our own person. We have a good rapport with each other because we try to respect each other no matter what each of us thinks, we are still moving toward the same goal (well, most of us are) and that is saving Lighthouses for the future generations. This is a great site, the best that I found, to exchange information about lighthouses. Really, don't ever be afraid to ask a question, post an answer, or express an opinion - Be yourself! smile

BonnieJean
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143719 10/10/02 04:53 PM
lhlover Offline
By the Way, I just purchased Spring at Fort Tompkins, HL652, on ebay for $31.01. Some times you really get a GREAT deal on ebay. Some times you win, some times you lose. smile

I just received the HL, everything is there and in perfect order - now that's the sales I like. wink

Good luck on the Gold Fort Tompkins.

BonnieJean
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143720 10/10/02 06:34 PM
ga light man Offline
Bonnie I hace gotten a few great deals on e-bay myself. I bought St.George's Reef for 30.00. So the deals are there but one has to be careful.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143721 10/10/02 06:38 PM
ga light man Offline
In reply to what I just posted, I witnessed Portland head go for 177.50. Too bad I was such a dummy and didn't outbid it.LOL. This was before I found the forum
and all you great people in here.Gosh I sure hate being totally uninformed and naive about something.Education is a great thing heh?
Rick

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143722 10/10/02 06:52 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Only half-way to the reserve with a little over 2 days left. Will be interesting to see how this turns out, especially seeing how someone just paid 4K for the golden Eddy.

Maybe the fact that there are more golden Ft. Tompkins out there, albeit slightly different, than Eddy's is relevant?

Irish the way I see it, it's your sister's to do with what she wants. Keep it, sell it, give it away. She had to buy something to be entered into the drawing so she didn't really get it for nothing. Man, if I had a lighthouse sitting here I thought I might get a big price for would I be dusting it until I croaked so my kids could sell it.......probably not! wink

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143723 10/10/02 08:41 PM
pierhead Offline
I have to agree with selling "the gold". Personally, I think they're hideous. If someone were interested in buying one from me for a few thousand dollars, I'd be more than willing to part with it. Congrats on winning the gold, and good luck with your auction.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143724 10/10/02 08:52 PM
ga light man Offline
If I had it given to me I would keep it but I would never buy a gold plated anything! Gold does not adhere to pewter too well for any long period of time.The person that buys it will be highly upset once that gold stars flaking off and it will in time
Rick

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143725 10/11/02 05:13 AM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
I forgot one thing on that last post....Randy, please do continue to post the progress. Since it is getting down to the final countdown, it is getting kind of exciting! I think you were doing a great job!
And as far as silver vs. gold, I would take the silver-no question. It seems cleaner for some reason...maybe more refined. But then, I'm one of those people that can't stand to see water spots on silverware or chrome bumpers! laugh
When I saw the Tompkins Gold next to one of the regular painted ones, I think I would have much rather had the painted one. They have so much more character. When I asked my sister about this, she said when she entered the drawings, she was hoping to win one of the other lighthouses. Well, maybe if she has anything left over she can visit the Marketplace here and find one of the pieces she's missing. Right now, I am in search of my 2nd Little Light...any suggestions? confused

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143726 10/11/02 04:11 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
OK Irish, here's an update. With 1 day, 9 hours to go, the price is at $2024! Still a ways to go to get to the reserve!

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143727 10/13/02 07:22 PM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
Good day everyone smile
Well, we didn't get up to the reserve, but I spent the morning emailing lighthouse-antiques (the high-bidder at $3100.51) and we came up with $3500.00 for the Gold Fort Tompkins! Mary will be able to pay her bill off and it will make it easier on her now. That was all that mattered.
The gentleman that bought it is also looking for the following items: lighthouses, lightship, Life-Saving Service, Revenue Cutter Service, US Signal Service, Mass. Humane Society, or Early Coast Guard, Edward Rowe Snow, or Nantucket items. I should email him back and tell him to visit here! laugh
Anyway, I thought you would all like to know the final outcome. That last bid came in about 4 seconds before the end of the auction. Thank you all for the great support you showed smile I LOVE IT HERE!!! laugh

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143728 10/13/02 08:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Congradulations Irish. I'm glad that it worked out well for your sister. You know, a lot of us get tangled up in supporting lighthouses that are in need and completely forget that there are fellow human beings in greater need. I am extremely pleased that it turned out the way it did for your sister. You are a true blue supporter.

Rich smile

Rich
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143729 10/14/02 03:24 PM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Good for you and your sister, Irish! Sounds like everyone is happy with the result of the sale. You got a great price for a very rare figurine!

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143730 10/14/02 04:33 PM
lhlover Offline
Congrats Irish. I'm glad that you were able to help your sister out. I also hope that the money from the sale is able to help your sister as much, if not more than, she needed. Glad that you have joined the forum, hope you will continue to post now that your initial reason for joining us is over. smile

I'm curious what the person who purchased the Lighthouse will do with it? Too bad he wasn't on the forum to tell us.

BonnieJean
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143731 10/17/02 10:38 PM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
Just one more thank you to you all. I intend to keep right on posting because ya hooked me! LOL
Right now, I am trying to still figure out which Little Light to buy. I know that they aren't as beautiful as the big ones like you all have and love, but I live in a very small place so I have to think tiny.
I love the Sanibel, but I also have been looking at Key West, Morris Island, Ponce De Leon, Jupiter, E Brother Island and Pensacola. There are more, but if I listed them it would just take up waaaaaaay too much room! Decisions... decisions... Forgive me, but I am new at this collecting thing. I don't care if the value ever changes...they are wonderful to gaze at. I'll let you know next week which one I get (but I think the Sanibel is in my shopping bag) LOL
Also, forgive me if I seem ignorant, but most of the Little Lights seem to be from the south... is that just where more lighthouses are or are there more that I'm not seeing at my dealer's? (a small Owl Drug Store)
So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Hope to see (read) you all again soon...take care and have a lovely weekend smile

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143732 10/18/02 12:11 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Irish,

There are way more Little Lights than you have probably seen. You should go to the harbourlights.com page and explore. There you will find this page about Little Lights which has them broken down by region. HL has made LLs of some lights they have not yet LEs of.

Dave

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143733 10/23/02 12:25 AM
I
Irish22 Offline
I
Thank you Dave and Mombo (for the email). I went there and they have ALOT more than what we have in this little bitty store! I went to the HL web site before, and I don't remember seeing the link for the Little Lights but I think I was more busy oooooing and awwwwwing the big lights at the time. I may not have noticed it.
I did get the Sanibel and it is just lovely. Now I have a whole country of light houses to chose from for my next one! This is going to be fun! laugh

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143734 12/18/02 10:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A judge has settled this case today. The original catcher and the person who ended up with the ball will have to sell the ball and split the proceeds.

Estimates are it will go for $1 million.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143735 12/27/02 07:21 PM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I would never sell my gold even for $5,000.00

RIP
Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143736 12/28/02 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Derith said she would pay $5001.

Re: Gold Fort Tompkins on ebay #143737 12/28/02 02:25 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
But only if RIP's picture is included! wink

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users