cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Warning about ebay seller! #143412 08/29/99 03:29 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had difficulties with the ebay seller tresures@bellsouth.net. I would not recommend buying from this seller. Email me if you want details.

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-30-99).]

Doc John
Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143413 08/29/99 12:03 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Thanks Doc for the heads up. I'll make sure to remember to ask all questions before bidding. I've had about 50 transactions on ebay and except for one seller, they have all been great. I wish I had previous notice about that seller. Unfortunately, when I asked the seller questions, I received false answers. I should have paid closer attention to the feedback. It's always good to be forewarned.

Joanne

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143414 08/29/99 10:22 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Did any of you receive an email warning about someone on eBay with an ID of "shefourth"?

I received a message warning me about dealing with this person. I haven't checked this info out to see what kind of feedback "shefourth" has.

I've had great luck on eBay and haven't had a bad experience yet. (Knock on wood!)

Bob

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143415 08/30/99 12:04 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes Bob, I received the same warning. From my own personal experience with "Shefourth" a few months ago, I couldn't complain about her as a seller. Everything about my transaction with her went perfectly.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143416 08/30/99 01:55 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
I would like to urge consideration and restraint when making comments about those with whom one does business. A person, particularly a seller, may have many successful transactions, but all it takes is one bad comment to ruin a reputation. And the person who makes the comment may have nothing at stake.

I for one would rather not see this forum turn into buyer/seller feedback. E-bay has a mechanism in place to support that already.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143417 08/30/99 02:45 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I feel I have the obligation to warn other collectors about problem sellers on ebay or in the Marketplace. I certainly would like to be forwarned, wouldn't anyone. Of course, individual buyers can assimilate all available comments/opinions about a seller make their own decisions. When dealing with the seller I mentioned, I would be sure to ask her the edition number of the piece in question if this fact is important to you...see how she responds. I posted an appropriate comment about her in the ebay feedback forum as well. I certainly would agree that one shouldn't use this forum to express ones opinion about a seller without the appropriate proof to back up your statements. If you don't have the proof, you risk prosecution for slander. However, communication among us is very important and we should not be afraid to share our experiences.

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-30-99).]

Doc John
Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143418 08/30/99 09:02 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Doc,

I agree with you on this point. I feel a "heads-up" is very appropriate if someone has a less than pleasurable experience with someone dealing in HLs, and that deal was an actual misrepresentation on the part of the seller.

Perhaps the posts should be phrased a little differently. Maybe something like, "Before you consider a purchase from XXXXX, I strongly recommend a thorough check on his or her feedback." You can't be held liable for stating the truth.

Bob

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143419 08/30/99 12:02 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Doc J: The fact that this seller referred to you as an "idiot" certainly doesn't make one feel warm and fuzzy towards him/her regardless of prior feedback. Talk about slander!

Two most important items to consider when shopping at Ebay are: Always check feedback and ask any questions before bidding. If you are not satisfied with either, do not bid. Most sellers will occasionally have a neutral, if not negative experience. With the revisions at Ebay we are now able to see rebutal comments as well, when checking feedback. With the millions of items offered for sale every day on Ebay, chances are the item you're wanting will certainly come around again before long.

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143420 08/30/99 01:06 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Very good advice Bob! I went back and editted my original post.

I thought about a potential problem here and that would be if both buyer and seller were members of this forum. Then posts could get argumentative and ugly. I'm an advocate for open communciation but this should not serve as a forum for debating between 2 individuals. Perhaps others have some ideas about this.

In response to you Mombo...you should have seen the email she wrote me. As far as the feedback comments themselves, I think they speak as to the respective character of the authors and I will leave it at that. My opinion is that when a transaction goes bad in any stage it is the responsibility of the SELLER to take reasonable means to try to correct it. This means being courteous to prospective buyers, describing your product without acting "put out" by requests, refunding payment without question for damage during shipment, etc. Running a business behind a computer screen is the same as running a business behind a counter top in a store...some people tend to forget that fact. The best sellers make customer satisfaction their number one priority!

My advice...don't be afraid to buy over the internet (after check references of course). The overwhelming majority of my transactions are 100% positive. However, don't let any seller treat you badly. Because they are not in a face to face transaction is no excuse for unprofessional behavior. Call them to task and let others know.

Now...off my soapbox once again.
Sorry for the long post.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143421 08/30/99 07:40 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Hear Hear, Doc, I agree with your comments about running a business. I don't want to get on the stump here but I feel that a lot of businesses in our society today are negecting and browbeating their customers all in the name of technology. I personally make it a point if at all possible to stop doing business with companies that I am required to push #1 for this, push #2 for this etc. I get sick of it. It seems like the bigger a company is the more of this they do. My advice is as soon as someone comes on the phone tell them you resent it and if they lose enough business due to it then someday they might change their ways. Sorry to go off but it seems that customer service is becoming a lost art. That is one of things that is so enjoyable about doing business with HL. You call them you get a person on the line. I don't know what this had to do with the other subject but as far as this column goes I don't feel like we should restrict it in scope. A bit anal retentive isn't it. THIS GOES HERE AND THAT GOES THERE. LOL I think all discussion pertaining to secondary selling of HL's is okay here. I also feel that if a person is going to be a seller on ebay or any other platform then they need to realize that the customer is important. These folks that act like they are doing you a favor to be selling you something need to wake up. I have run across a couple of ebay sellers that act like they're too busy to respond to your emails and post feedback. Sorry, off the stump now.

ORV
Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143422 08/30/99 11:19 PM
DeDo Offline
Doc J:

I agree with your posts especially today's. I appreciate any info regarding less than desireable sellers. There are so many on e-bay, I'm sure most are fine but if our forums can help other members avoid potential headaches I say post it.
I have bought most of our forty HLs from all over the country. Many thru HL dealers and the rest thru the marketplace. I've had nothing but good experiences with the sellers/members. One shipping problem was promptly refunded by the seller. Another advised of a damaged box before the order was completed.
I feel much more comfortable dealing with other people that are members of the forum. I would buy again from any of the forum people I've had the pleasure of purchasing from.
I do appreciate the tips on e-bay however, I have bid without success several times. I think if you have a choice on e-bay between bidding on a HL from a person with bad feedback & one with good feedback it better be a real great deal or rare piece for the bad feedback seller to get my bid.
Keep the tips coming for us Newbies that may not know the negative sellers.

Donna

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143423 08/30/99 11:25 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Maybe specific details on a bad transaction don't have to be given on the forum, but I see nothing wrong in stating that a transaction was particularly negative and if you want to know details, please send an email.

If anyone does have a problem with a seller, you can contact Peter@ebay.com. They do keep a very close watch on what's going on.
The seller I had a problem with was being watched by ebay and they were keeping a file on her which led to her suspension.

In the meantime, I won two auctions this week: Alcatraz LE and Sanibel. Both have gone just wonderful and I have nothing but praise for ebay and the seller.

Joanne

Re: Warning about ebay seller! #143424 08/31/99 04:49 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I am agreeing with Tims comments on the nature of this thread. It is not appropriate to be making these comments in this forum. Ebay has plenty of checks and ballances to find out who you are dealing with. You simply need to do research as you would before buying anything. Lets close this thread and get back to what what the Secondary Market Thread is all about.

Heres a quote taken from the Webmaster when the Secondary Market Thread was added.

Quote:
Do NOT use this forum to promote or complain about a particular secondary source. Your experience may be unique. Each secondary 'dealer' may have unique policies and practices

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum28/HTML/000001.html

Sean

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 08-31-99).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users