Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shipping costs #143121 07/30/99 02:49 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
To date I have only bought HL's from dealers but was wondering what a reasonable shipping charge would be if I were to purchase through a secondary source. Have seen prices on Ebay, for example, range from $5 to $12. Obviously, if the original box was packed in an outer box the package could get pretty large. And then the actual weights of the pieces vary. I know some of you sell and thought you could give us an answer as to what would be an appropriate charge. Thanks.

Re: Shipping costs #143122 07/30/99 05:52 PM
K
Kevin Offline
K
For a smaller/lighter Harbour Lights piece, such as an event piece, I would expect to pay or charge for priority mail in the range of $5-$7. For one with more heft, $8-$10 is reasonable. Note: these shipping charges include insurance. Without insurance, the actual priority mail shipping charges are in the $3.20-$7 range, depending primarily upon weight. Insurance on a several hundred dollar piece can really mount up, so then if you want it shipped insured and priority mail you might pay $12-$15. For an average piece (under $100), I expect to pay or charge around $8 to cover shipping and insurance.

Re: Shipping costs #143123 07/30/99 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mombo,

We use the actual USPS postal rates. We usually ship Priority Mail with Insurance unless a seller requests that we go with a cheaper rate (which is usually nominally less expensive) or without insurance. We make it clear that if they don't want insurance, we can't guaranty against damage or loss and we have actually had buyers do that. It scared us. But we are happy to say they arrived in fine condition - Whew!

There are a few sellers that actually make a bit of a profit from the shipping/handling/insurance charges, but this fortunately is not happening as much as it had a few months back.

The source we use for figuring our shipping and insurance charges is http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Hope that helps.

Re: Shipping costs #143124 07/30/99 10:09 PM
DeDo Offline
Hi everyone,

Interesting topic. I have purchased over 30 HLs since last Sept. Most have been shipped to me from all over the country.
My experince has been that the HL retail dealers are the most reasonable. Usually $ 5-$7. Some actually ship free over $50 which isn't hard to do with HLs.
The secondary market dealers I've dealt with have been $8 -$10.
I have noticed on e-bay that some of the shipping charges seem excessive. It annoys me that the seller is trying to make a profit on that too. Some of the marketplace sellers fall into this category.
If it is a common/new HL it shouldn't cost any more than what the HL retailer ship for about $5-6.
If I see a $10 shipping fee it turns me right off unless it is a rare HL or a tremendous deal. The reverse is true too, if I see $5 S+H on e-bay or the marketplace and the HL price is right I want to buy from that person because I don't feel I'm getting ripped off on shipping charges.

Donna

Re: Shipping costs #143125 07/30/99 10:20 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Although I'm not a dealer, secondary or otherwise, I assume shipping cost is more correctly understood as 'shipping and handling' - this also includes insurance.

Suppose you don't have a box in which to ship the HL box, or the styrofoam peanuts or other packaging with which to protect the inner box. Where do you get such a box and how much time does it take you. How much is your time worth to go to the Post Office or UPS when it is open? I don't think $10 is excessive cost for sending a $125 lighthouse half way across the country when these other factors are considered.

Packaging does nothing to add value to the piece and should not be included in calculations thereof. And yes - everybody wants a good deal.

__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 08-04-99).]

Re: Shipping costs #143126 07/30/99 10:27 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I've purchased 40 HL's over the past six months, about 30 of the from ebay and other sources. Some stores will not charge any shipping if I spend $50 or more.

On auctions, shipping has averaged about 5.50 to 7.00 for one piece and about $8.50 to $10.00 for two which includes insurance. On two occasions, the package cost more to mail than what I sent and I sent the additional $1.00 or $2.00 to the seller.

Joanne

Re: Shipping costs #143127 07/30/99 11:32 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for your responses. Think lots of people on ebay are buying as well as selling so they have lots of packing material around. I've purchased other items there and before you know it you have a mountain of peanuts, shrink-wrap and assorted boxes. The retailers can afford to ship free or for a lesser amount because of volume. As far as handling charge, maybe that should be built into the reserve price for the item. Although we, being so knowlegeable on the subject of HL prices, couldn't be taken in on that score, lol. But now I do feel as though I have a better handle on what an appropriate charge should be. Thanks again.

Re: Shipping costs #143128 08/02/99 05:35 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Interesting topic. One of my pet peeves actually. I certainly feel like that if a person is going to be in the secondary business the packing and time taken to do it should not be charged for. Actual shipping and insurance is a different item altogether. The main complaint I have is if I am buying 2 or more pieces from the same person and they are not willing to reduce the shipping, especially if it is 10.00 or more. I feel in this instance the seller is just trying to make a profit off of the shipping. Most sellers I have dealt with are more than happy to reduce the price for combined shipping. Another point is if you are selling, which I sometimes do, is that offering free shipping doesn't tend to increase the value of your auction any. Most people tend to think of that separately. I look at it as "How much does it cost me to get it to my door".

ORV
Re: Shipping costs #143129 08/15/99 09:37 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Tim is correct when he speaks of purchasing materials to ship items in, and the time it takes you to purchase these items, package your sold item, and travel to the Post Office to mail it.

I've sold a lot of items on eBay. I've purchased many items too. I try to "recycle" the packing material and have never had to purchase any material to use for packing purposes.

I only charge what the actual shipping and insurance is. It's been a while since I shipped an HL, but I think it cost me around $8.00 or so with insurance. Needless to say I bought more items then I sold in the HL line. My Postman even asked, "What is all this stuff?"

I agree with you folks that excessive shipping charges can be a turn off when I review the items for auction on eBay. Yes, I do believe some people make a profit on the shipping charge. Maybe these are the people who are trying to earn a living doing this. Remember: "Time is money!" My view is, "It's Only Money!"

Bob

Re: Shipping costs #143130 08/15/99 12:00 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
In my previous incarnation, I sold and shipped a lot of Harbour Lights. Almost always used USPS Priority Mail and insured for the full amount. Most always bought NEW boxes -- and USED peanuts. Now I have no peanuts to fill my collection boxes should I need to move those. (Have you priced plastic peanuts? WOW)

I think $10-12 is a fair amount for shipping a $500-$800 lighthouse, but competition forced that down to $8-$10. (For one lighthouse). On multiple purchases, it was often a matter of charging actual shipping costs (no box, no peanut costs.)

The dealer from which I buy my Harbour Lights charges no shipping - but ships them parcel post uninsured, and uses 'used' boxes and shredded paper as packing. Sometimes the HL box doesn't come through perfect, but the lighthouse does.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users