Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A New Forum #143118 07/20/99 02:03 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This forum is intended for a discussion on the secondary market.

First a few definitions.

The PRIMARY market consists of the authorized retail dealers for Harbour Lights.

The SECONDARY market is all other sources for Harbour Lights. This typically includes:

1. Brokerage Services
2. Retail dealers who also carry retired items at appreciated prices
3. Individual collectors who are selling 'extras' or part or all of their collection
4. Auctions - online or in person

By the broadest definition, a 'secondary dealer' is anyone who is selling a Harbour Light Lighthouse. However, we expect that what this individual is offering are lighthouses that have been retired and are no longer available at retail dealers.

This forum is NOT intended as a place to buy, sell, trade etc. (Use the MARKETPLACE forum).

Do NOT use this forum to promote or complain about a particular secondary source. Your experience may be unique. Each secondary 'dealer' may have unique policies and practices.

But this is a place to list sources and provide links to sources.

If YOU are in the secondary market, please feel free to contribute to this Forum, but please do state that you are in the secondary market.

Please DO use this forum to observe and report on trends in the secondary market.

Prices on the secondary market are based on supply and demand. Both supply and demand may fluctuate over time. One reseller may have originally paid $60 for a retired item. But they are free to ask whatever price they want. Buyers can decide to purchase or not.

Obviously, each purchaser should educate themselves as to the 'market value' of the retired item they are considering purchasing.

This can be done by using guide books such as Green Book, Collectorbee, or CIB. Or by comparing offering prices over time in the Marketplace thread or other on-line sources and resources.

I'd like to invite individuals who follow on-line auctions at e-bay to contribute to this forum with the trends they see.

Other suggestions and ideas for this new Forum are welcome.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-20-99).]

Re: A New Forum #143119 07/21/99 10:29 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi John, ... I think this new thread should be interesting especially for those folks who are unable to locate a particular HL through their area dealers or Retired@Retail.

I follow eBay each day and hope to get a deal on those HLs I need to fill in my collection. I am happy to say I did purchase a Burrows Island last week but it wasn't on eBay. It was right through the "Marketplace" in this forum. I have purchased many HLs through the listings in the "Marketplace" and have been very satisfied with the results. My advice to the eBay users is to make sure you check the "Marketplace" thread each day. You may save yourself a few dollars over what you might pay at the eBay auction site.

Bob

Re: A New Forum #143120 07/21/99 06:27 PM
O
orv Offline
O
I completely agree with Bob on checking the Marketplace Forum, there are some great deals there. Geez, I wonder who got the Minot's Ledge listed there a couple of months ago for $25.00. If anyone has any input on information they would like from ebay I would be glad to help. Most of the records I keep are for my own purposes and may not show others a lot. I could tell you that right now would be a great time to buy an Alcatraz on ebay. A couple of months ago they were $115.00 to $120.00. There is a dealer that has dropped quite a few of them on ebay and yesterday one sold for $76.00, a buck below retail. Average price has been around $85.00 for the last couple of weeks. Good luck.

ORV

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users