Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ebay Urgent Udate #142970 08/09/04 08:14 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
For the past two months, every time I win a bid for a lighthouse I receive the following email. Its claims to be from ebay and it request an urgent update or my account my be restricted. Has anyone else ever received a request like this. The information they are asking sounds more like I am applying for a loan then verifying my identity.
The following is the request.

Quote:

Valued eBay Member,

For security reasons, your eBay account has been blocked due to
several unsuccessful login attempts, made by you or someone else.
As a result, your access to buy or sell on eBay has been restricted.
According to our site policy, you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account.
To reactivate your account, please click the link below, fill the eBay
verification form and then submit as we will verify your identity
and reactivate your eBay account. Your account will be fully functional immediately if the submited
information will be succesfully verified.

http://updatebilling.info/updates/

(The following is what is on the update billing website)

Verify your identity
Your credit/debit card and bank account information along with your personal information will be verified instantly.
All the data is protected by the industry standard SSL encryption.
All information is required and is kept confidential in accordance with eBay's Privacy Policy.
•Your credit/debit card and checking account information is used to verify your identity.

Enter Your Ebay Information
Ebay User ID

Password

Email Address

Enter Your Credit Card/Debit Card Information

Credit card/debit card number

Expiration date Month: Day: Year:

CVV Code 3 Digit code at the back of your card; next to signature

Your name on card

Name of Bank
( that issued your Credit Card )

Bank Routing Number

Bank Account Number

Bank Phone #
( found on back of card )

Enter your billing address as it appears on your credit card statement
Billing address

Primary telephone ( )

Secondary telephone ( )

City

State/province

Zip/postal code

Country

Verify you are the real holder of this credit card.
Enter Your Personal Information

Social Security Number eek

Card PIN Number eek

Mother's Maiden Name

Date Of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)

Driver License Number eek

State of Issue

After clicking "Continue," please wait up to 30 seconds while we process your information
Is this for real? confused

DANIEL
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142971 08/09/04 08:31 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pfishing e-mails are getting more popular. Here's a link to an interesting test.

Pfishing test

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142972 08/09/04 08:32 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Daniel, what you have here is a "PHISHING" atempt.This is NOT EBAY!!!! This is some creep trying to get your information. Remember you don't have to have a credit card on file with Ebay to buy an Item. I get emails like this all the time. Most of the time they are from Banks where I don't even have an account or Paypal which I don't have.

Eric
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142973 08/09/04 08:38 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I would not even consider giving that kind of information to anybody. If you did you probably wouldn't have to worry about buying something on Ebay because you wouldn't have any money left to pay for it.

Rich
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142974 08/09/04 09:41 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
That request to 'wait 30 seconds' is so they can see how much money they can Phish out of your account while you are waiting.

What a scam. The FBI site has links on where to report these scams.

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142975 08/09/04 10:28 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Tammy's pfishing test link is interesting.

I hope that folks are paying attention out there. You NEVER want to give all the info they are asking for. One dead give-away of their intent (to me anyway) is that the link is to a web site other than EBay. If a request similar to this was legit in any way I think they would ask you to go to the site, log in and verify. But, then again, they may even be able to hijack that attempt to go to the correct site.

Unfortunatley, they still don't catch enough of these dirtbags, and I doubt the consequences are anywhere near what I think they should be.

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142976 08/09/04 11:31 PM
B
Bill Bowen Offline
B
I have in the past received several e-mails similar to the one to which you refer. Do not open any links contained therein and forward the inquiry to spoof@ebay.com. You will receive a return e-mail from ebay's Trust and Safety Department most likely telling you that the message is fraudulent and instructing you never to respond to or open any of the links in the e-mail message.

ebaybay will not ask you for personal information (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc.) in an e-mail.

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142977 08/10/04 07:31 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have never received a message like the one you speak of in your post. I will not give anybody any of my personal information over the Net. As a matter of fact, I never gave eBay a credit card number when I registered. They just email me a bill when my tab goes over $10 or so. That's how long I've been using their service. I do think a CC is required now.

If you do a lot of buying on the Net, more than likely you will be using a credit card or something like PayPal. I would suggest that you have a separate card for "Net purchases" so that you can more easily trace any type of misuse.

cool Bob cool

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142978 08/10/04 11:31 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for all the info.
No, I would never fill out this type of information sheet. However, it looks so real the site is even linked to ebay. The asking for social security is ridiculous
I only give my social out to the government, employer and my bank. That is all. I took my social off my medical insurance card and got a dummy number for it. It was hard at first. My doctor’s office told me I had to give them my social. I told them I did not and gave them my dummy number. The girl insisted I give her my social. I told her that my social doesn’t work anymore with my insurance and is not required. The woman got so upset with me that she brought in her manager. When the manager so how insistent I was, she said okay.
We have become so used to giving out our social that we forget that in most cases we do not have too.
When someone now ask for my social. I tell them that I heard on the news that it is better not to give it out and that I am not required to. The person usually responses with Yes I saw that too, and that is a good idea.

DANIEL
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142979 08/10/04 01:07 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I got one of these emails yesterday and I don't have an ebay account -- they were using one of my one email addresses to send it to me.

Go Figure.

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142980 08/10/04 01:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you question any email from EBAY go to the following link and they will let you know if it came from them.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142981 08/10/04 02:06 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I think we just tapped in on a lot of important information here that is important for all Forum Members to know.

DANIEL
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142982 08/10/04 02:46 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I get these "E-Mails from E-Bay" all too frequently. As others have indicated, it's someone else and not E-Bay trying to get personal information. When you get one of these, forward it on to "spoof@ebay.com", for E-Bay's review and follow-up. I guarantee you that you'll get a response from E-Bay that indicates that the original E-Mail did not from them.

Don't give out any personal info!!

Dan

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142983 08/11/04 10:39 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I sent it to ebay
and they sent me a responce stating that it was not their email and Emails such as this, are commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
messages and they are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or financial information from the recipients.

The email I reported was not sent by eBay and they have reported this email to the appropriate authorities.

More information provided by ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

DANIEL
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142984 08/11/04 08:54 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Like I said .... I keep sending them to E-Bay and they keep saying that it wasn't from them ... but, I continue to get them and I've never heard from E-Bay that they were successful in tracking down "the perps". They need to nail some of these folks and make them pay heavily!!!! eek laugh eek I get the feeling they cover their tracks too well such that they are untraceable. mad

Dan

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142985 08/14/04 01:34 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The same goes for Paypal (which is owned by E-Bay). I have received several official looking E-mails "from E-Bay" requesting information .... again are attempts to extricate personal information. I forward them back to E-Bay too.

Don't give out that personal information!!

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142986 08/16/04 03:06 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I received a similar email, which said my account had been compromised and not to change my password ect act. I reported it to ebay and they said they would look into it. I never give out personal info on anything like that. However, I am waiting for my payoff from the International Lottery in Spain, which will go very well with my secret windfall from Nigeria. When those payoff I will buy all of the Harbour Lights I can find. eek laugh

Chuck laugh laugh

bigdragon
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142987 08/16/04 09:11 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I got an e-mail from PayPal a week or so ago about a class action law suit settlement which I (and many others) may be part of. It looked very official but I haven't gone any further to file a claim form. Did anyone else receive this? Is it legitmate?

Larry

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142988 08/16/04 10:35 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Larry
Come to think of it, I did receive a email to file for a class action suit. I didn't filed.
What was suit about?

DANIEL
Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142989 08/17/04 12:32 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I got it too and deleted it. My involvement with E-Bay and PayPal is rather minimal and, with that being the case, I wasn't interested in participating in any law suit. In the back of my mind, I fear some devious ******** are trying to get information to which they are not entitled.

Dan

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142990 08/17/04 09:26 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The suit had something to do with alleged violations of the Electronic Transfer Act (whatever that is). Apparently they settled out of court and there is $1 million dollars set up in a fund for all PayPal members who joined between Oct. 1,1999 and Jan. 31,2004. You have to file a claim form to participate and this is what worries me. I haven't actually looked at the claim form because you have to click on a link to get it and I am leery about doing that.

Larry

Re: Ebay Urgent Udate #142991 08/20/04 02:54 AM
Larry R Offline
Here is the link to the administrator's web page. Not much here, if you were wronged and had been denied access to your accounts, you can get up to $50, or I think you can fill out the large amount of paperwork if you don't qualify and they give you $5. Not worth my time for either, paypal has done anything wrong to me.

PayPal Class Action Administrator\'s Home Page

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users