Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142834 12/29/06 11:17 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I thought I would start a topic relating to experiences we have all enjoyed, or didn't enjoy, while utilizing eBay.

My overall experience has been good with the majority of people I have dealt with. Sometimes shipping has been slow but that's to be expected. My worst surprise was when I purchased a AB Tori Dawn, and the seller left the boat within the glass case destroying it and severely damaging the boat. Yet again, my money was refunded.

I had a New Point Loma shipped to me and destroyed. The seller left it at a UPS Store to be packed and shipped. Unfortunately, the store workers packed the original box very well within another carton, but they never opened the original box to see if the piece was secured in it. The piece was in its original box with no bubble wrap, peanuts or whatever. Needless to say, it was ruined as it bounced around during shipping. Yet again, purchase price was refunded via UPS insurance.

Recently, I received two HL's from separate auction/different sellers, that had the ventilator ball snapped off in shipment. Both sellers did the right thing and refunded my purchase price.

I guess one of the major complaints that may be revealed here is the improper description of an items condition. People love to describe their wares as mint, brand new, perfect, never displayed, non-smoking home, no pet home, hermetically sealed at the factory, etc. Recently, I purchased a Nauset that was described as mint. Once again, needless to say, the piece has a paint flaking problem. I bought it right, so I kept it.

Another experience was winning an auction, paying for the piece and not receiving it. Then I saw the same piece up on auction again (it had a unique flag#). I contacted the seller and advised her that the piece I had paid for was up on auction again. A few days later I received a message that they never had that flag# and my money order was returned to me. Go figure! I guess the right hand doesn't know what the left hand was doing.

Although my eBay disappointments are few, they still do happen. My positive experiences far exceed the unpleasant ones. "Caveat emptor", Latin for "Extra cheese and hold the anchovies, please!" (Not really)

Let's hear about your eBay successes and horror stories.

smile Bob smile

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142835 12/29/06 01:55 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Let's hear about your eBay successes and horror stories...
Good idea; but please don't have this thread be a review of the good/bad records from specific sellers. Describe the problems or the wonders, but no specific seller names/IDs either way. Deal with that through eBay, please.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142836 12/31/06 07:47 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OVer the past 5 years , I've bought about 8-10 HL's (without checking my log book) over Ebay. To date I've had nothing but success. But..... I usually ask a lot of questions BEFORE I bid, both thru Ebay and off-line. If there is the slightest hint of anything out of the ordinary with the auction words, I just don't bid!!! Most of my bids have ended up with Forums Members and that takes all the pressure/concern off.

In non-HL Ebay, I've had goo success in both buying and selling with only one bad selling experience, and one bad buying experience. No matter what precautions you take there will always be some element of risk involved. Don't count on Ebay or Paypal to resolve your issues, basically they could care less and will only provide gentle assistance on anything not in the Big Bucks realm.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!

Pharologst laugh

Geo H.
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142837 12/31/06 10:02 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have not done any HL buying or selling on eBay or anywhere else. I used to do a lot of selling on eBay, with mostly good results. I have bought a lot of items through them, and almost all has been a good experience. Everything was exactly as represented, and was shipped on time and arrived in good condition.

The problems I've had were all with selling. I sold a mustard seed earring and pin, and the buyer complained that the mustard seeds were almost too small for her to see. Duh. That's the whole point!!!

I shipped an item to another seller with tracking and the PO said she received it, and she said she did not get it and claimed I never sent it. Even though I refunded the money, she still wrote a negative report.

Another time an Australian girl bid on an item even though the TOS specifically said that I would not ship outside the US. She tried to make out that I was a non-performing seller, because I refused to send her the item.

The PO lost two items - one was not packed well, and one I don't know what happened to it. In both cases I refunded the money.

And I've had arguments about the shipping and handling charges because people seem to think that the only thing that should be included in those charges are "actual postage" without considering the cost of packing. And they don't want to pay for insurance either.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142838 01/01/07 01:33 AM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hay Grandma Rosalie, my sister's name is Rosalie!
I have been using Ebay quite a bit for filling out my collection. Have had few problems with anyone. The only one that stands out is an individual who advertised a product I feel he didn't have and then went about finding the product after is was sold to me at a lower price. Thought it was quite funny that the individual would not contact me nor answer emails uintil Paypal was sicked on them and a product was soon mailed out.

I generally don't use Ebay for new product because I want to keep the dealers working. I have lost 4 dealers in this slump and now have to deal close to 85 miles away and have even doubled up with a friend to be able to get low numbers when they don't buy one I'm interested it.

Generally, Ebay is a good place to do business with. Most people are honerable and honest in their dealings. Prices can be very desirable if one is patient. But if a deal goes wrong, it can be a bit of a problem to solve. I recommend using Paypal because they will do something to help you when there is a problem. Just remember, dealers can't stay in business if we don't help them.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142839 01/01/07 03:51 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have had good luck so far using eBay. I read everything and ask question when needed. I only buy items I can no longer get from a dealer.
I have one dealer that is not to far away. I have bought some GLOWs from them that I may not have normally bought. But they have also tryed to order in LEs that I have asked for. I think I am the only one who buys the HLs from them. Before they started carrying Harbour Lights, I was having to order them from a dealer on line.

Cyndi
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142840 01/01/07 11:45 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I generally have had good dealings on ebay. Personally I think dealing with ebay and using pay pal is a lot safer than the old days when you would make transactions on the AOL lighthouse bulletin board. On the bulletin board there was no other way to check out the seller, except to ask the questions and request references. On ebay before you bid you can review the sellers feedback and when you make the money transaction you can use pay pal that insures you for product satisfaction.

I never have been surprised on ebay and the few times where I had problems were ones I all ready had my doubts about the seller. The next question is if I had doubts why deal with them. The reason is even if the seller gives you the warning signs to stay away, the item or the price of the item maybe just to tempting to turn away.

DANIEL
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142841 01/01/07 12:58 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just thought of another disappointment I received via eBay. The seller advertised one of the newer HL's, 3-digit flag, with the original box and paperwork. I was the high bidder and received the light in excellent shape but no original box. I contacted the seller about the fact she advertised the piece as coming with the box. She told me the box got wet so she threw it away, and she was new to eBay, yaddi, yaddi, yaddi.

I bought the piece right but I did so believing the box would be with it. It wasn't, such is life. I didn't gig her with negative feedback because it wasn't worth it. I truly believe she didn't realize what she was doing when she advertised that the box came with it, and then threw it away because it got wet. It wasn't the end of the world for me.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142842 01/01/07 07:53 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I always look at feedback. I like 99 to 100% positive rating. If a few negative, I read the comments and can usually tell if the problem was the seller or the buyer. People with lots of complaints I just skip.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142843 01/02/07 09:43 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
One problem that may arise out of leaving negative feedback is receiving negative feedback. Once a negative is on your eBay record, it's there forever. People don't get mad, they get even. You try to play the game the way it's suppose to be played and you get screwed for complaining. That is why you should make sure the person you're dealing with is somewhat reliable before you bid. Low starting and ending bids could cost you more in the long run.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142844 01/02/07 05:27 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
One problem that may arise out of leaving negative feedback is receiving negative feedback. Once a negative is on your eBay record, it's there forever. People don't get mad, they get even. You try to play the game the way it's suppose to be played and you get screwed for complaining. That is why you should make sure the person you're dealing with is somewhat reliable before you bid. Low starting and ending bids could cost you more in the long run.

Bob,

That's one of the problems with the concept of feedback. You just know that many others would have liked to leave truer feedback but don't because they've been burned like you point out.

I have had almost no problems with my eBay dealings. I managed to get satisfaction from almost everybody I had a problem with- and vice versa. I was given 2 negative feedback from the same person because I left Neutral Feedback after contacting the person about the problem and getting flamed by them.

I acknowledged in the feedback that there were both good and bad things in the transaction and in turn he gave me Negative Feedback for doing so.

I employ the same logic I use in reading reviews of hotels restaurants etc on certain sites- read between the lines of what has been written. I steer clear of sellers that have too many one or two word feedbacks. it's worked for me.

Dennis

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142845 01/02/07 10:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have followed a simple set of rules for my eBay purchases.
(1). Number of positive feedbacks.
(2). Reasonable shipping and insurance.
(3). Are they HL Dealers?
(4). Number of repeat buyers.
(5). Return policy.
I have had 100% success following these rules and will continue using these "prefered sellers."

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142846 01/03/07 10:09 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I think the biggest turnoff next to negative feedback is an excessive shipping charge. I do recognize the fact tht some people do not recycle boxes and packing material, and may very well bring their goods to a store to be shipped. Then it's three or four bucks for packing peanuts, bubble wrap, and a charge for the box. Then you add the actual shipping charge and it's costly.

Then there are the sellers who don't discount shipping charges for multiple pieces. I bought six HL's from one seller where the individual shipping charge was $10 per piece. There were six separate auctions. I asked the seller if she would be willing to discount the shipping because you can ship six HL's together or in two or three boxes for much less. She didn't respond to three separate requests, so I paid $60 for a shipping charge. I figure she made an additional $25 or maybe a little more because of it. Needless to say I didn't smile over that deal. I also didn't leave any feedback either way. She advertised the shipping at $10 per auction, so she didn't lie, but it would have been nice to receive a small discount for buying six of her pieces. Such is life...

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142847 01/03/07 04:49 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
eBay does allow a response to negative feedback.

They'll also "fire" anyone receiving more than 3 negative feedbacks, altho' they may have increased that number since the beginning. That seller or buyer can then get back using a different eBay handle, but there's probably a way to discern whether they've been rejected in the past.

More than excessive shipping charges, I find eBay's and PayPal's fees exhorbitant. eBay nickels and dimes every keystroke and that's annoying and expensive. PayPal is just plain greedy and I won't use them for payment from buyers when I list something. I'm always after Stan to transfer PayPal monies to his personal checking account, even tho' PayPal pays more interest, because of the horror stories I've heard and read of PayPal freezing your account if you receive negative feedback. He's been selling heavy-duty equipment and receiving thousands of dollars through his PayPal account. Having a few hundred dollars frozen would be easier to swallow than having a few thousand dollars frozen because some disgruntled jerk decides s/he has a beef with something they've purchased.

The only negative I've received was from a fool who complained because I refused to send the item I'd sold him before his personal check cleared. Needless to say, I responded to his comments, gave him negative feedback, and blocked him from bidding on any future auctions I might have. bash bash bash

Sandy

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142848 01/03/07 05:31 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Some people are adamant that there should be no shipping charge other than 'actual postage', and I think that is short sighted. For fragile things like HL items, or anything valuable or expensive I would also insist on insurance.

But most of my items that I was selling were small, non-fragile items, or they were magazines which are heavy but not fragile.

Quote:
Originally posted by sandy:

More than excessive shipping charges, I find eBay's and PayPal's fees exhorbitant. eBay nickels and dimes every keystroke and that's annoying and expensive. PayPal is just plain greedy and I won't use them for payment from buyers when I list something.

Sandy
I originally would accept USPS money orders - specifying that they had to be USPS ones and not any other kind. That is because I could cash the money orders in for postage when I was mailing things out and get cash back for the excess. The post office won't cash in any other type so I would have to go to the bank, or have to mail the MO in using a stamp.

But so many people didn't read the TOS that I eventually decided to only accept Paypal. It is much less hassle for me. I do try to keep my account quite low, and when I buy something where I use Paypal, they just charge my bank account directly so I don't have to keep a balance in there.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142849 01/03/07 09:59 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've had pretty good success with Ebay, have been burned twice. Item arrived broken and aeller wouldn't reply to my request for refund, and a seller listed an HL with a 3 digit LE in original box, but shipped a 4 digit of the same item and not in the original box. Replies to my inquire were answered with "Oh my store had several of these they must have shipped the wrong one, I'll have to check. Then, can't find the one listed, must have been sold." Yeah right! I left negative feedback. I made a mental note of both sellers, and ignored all their future listings.

Bob,
Quote:
Then there are the sellers who don't discount shipping charges for multiple pieces. I bought six HL's from one seller where the individual shipping charge was $10 per piece. There were six separate auctions. I asked the seller if she would be willing to discount the shipping because you can ship six HL's together or in two or three boxes for much less. She didn't respond to three separate requests, so I paid $60 for a shipping charge. I figure she made an additional $25 or maybe a little more because of it. Needless to say I didn't smile over that deal. I also didn't leave any feedback either way. She advertised the shipping at $10 per auction, so she didn't lie, but it would have been nice to receive a small discount for buying six of her pieces. Such is life...
Out of curosity, did the seller combine the 6 HLs into a couple of boxes, or did you receive 6 different shipments?

Melody
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142850 01/04/07 08:49 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Out of curosity, did the seller combine the 6 HLs into a couple of boxes, or did you receive 6 different shipments?
I believe I received two boxes, maybe three. I do a lot of buying and selling so I figured the shipping charge would have been around $35, give or take a couple of bucks.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142851 01/04/07 10:39 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I've bought over 400 items on ebay, and never had a problem that wasn't corrected. I've only had a handful of problems - mostly delays - only one breakage. I've only left 1 negative feedback and that was for items I ordered for Christmas on November 1. The seller was a bulk dealer and gave me 3 excuses. 1 - I'm a bulk seller so needs to acquire item 2 - I thought I sent it 3 - refund with no communication. I've ordered from England and Hong Kong and had good experiences. BUT you do have to check out feedback history. Shipping is always a must check. Some have an item price, others calculate, and some offer multiple discounts. You can always ask for a discount but don't expect it. I always calculate the shipping as part of my cost when I bid. 'If it sounds too good of a deal' - you know you're gambling.
But new sellers with no history need to establish themselves too. Communicate with the new seller before you bid, you just might find a good buy.
When I'm looking for something, I always check Ebay to establish a price for auction or retail. Checked the completed items for completed auction prices.
Be careful out there! welcome
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142852 01/04/07 11:00 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My latest Ebay purchase just arrived. I got BOTH Cleveland HL266 and Southwest Reef LA for $37.00. I thought it was too good to be true, but both were in mint condition with all the paperwork. I didn't expect to win, so I didn't bid very high as it was offered by a firm which sells items for others on Ebay. The pics provided were oK and I looked at them VERY CLOSELY and all seemed well. In any event, this one makes up for some of the other times things weren't so good. wink

Geo H.
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142853 01/05/07 11:34 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There are some great values to be had on eBay. That's what keeps people coming back time after time. Unfortunately, some people get burnt early and never return.

Once again, "Do you feel lucky?" My pluses on eBay far outnumber any bad experiences that happend.

cool Bob cool

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142854 01/07/07 11:49 PM
JoAnn Offline
Have bought a number of HL on Ebay and never been disappointed,however I was the winning bidder on a Red Hat Cigar Box Purse as a gift for my daughter,The winning bid was 1.98 truly a bargain and should have been a red flag.For the first time I did not ask about shipping!The shipping was 29.97,the actual shippinp was $4.95.
My fault for not asking about shipping so didn't leave neg feedback but I certainly learned a valuable lesson!
JoAnn

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142855 01/08/07 12:36 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think Ebay is great. Thanks to Ebay I been able to collect many older HL's, some at a super bargain, some moderately priced. Free's up some budget to purchase newer HL's at my local dealer.

I have been burned once. anger I won an auction for a Wrestling figure my nephew wanted. Paid with a MO. I now only participate in auctions that accept Paypal. Not sure if that's a false security. confused

I did receive a couple HL's that had a broken piece on them. cheers

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142856 01/08/07 09:57 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just received an oddity as an eBay auction winner. I bid and won a 4-digit Buffalo LE. The flag# I won was in the low 3000's. When the package arrived the number on the box was in the low 5000's and didn't match the HL flag# within.

The Buffalo LE that was in the box had a flag# much lower than the box or the piece I originally bid on. I unwrapped it and noticed a small hole in the ventilator ball. Sure enough, it was a lightning rod piece without a lightning rod. I checked the hole with a common pin and it will easily accept a make shift rod as a replacement. I'll trim a bristle to size from Lorna's hair brush and this piece will once again proudly display a rod.

I didn't get what I bid on, then the flag# on the box didn't match the piece within, and now I ended up with another lightning rod piece as a surprise. I don't know whether I should be happy or sad. Just another eBay oddity, I guess.

Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142857 01/08/07 11:13 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
A newbie collector question...is the lightning rod version more desireable or not? It sounds to me like alot of these seem to have the rod broken or missing.

So as a collector...what is more desireable? One with a rod version or the version without the rod?
Which came first???Rod version or no rod version?

And I guess the box needs to match otherwise...I guess it is just that...a box!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142858 01/08/07 11:33 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The lightning rod came first.
Yes a lighthouse is worth more if it has a lightning Rod.

DANIEL
Re: Your thoughts on eBay experiences... #142859 01/09/07 08:51 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The lightning rod pieces are certainly much more rare. I've never personally seen a LR piece with the rod broken off. I've seen plenty of bent lightning rods. Then I've seen LR pieces with the rod missing. A quick fix is to remove one black bristle from a hair brush, and insert it in the hole. No need to glue it in, gravity will hold it in the ventilator ball.

Not all collectors think alike but I always felt it was nice to have a few different things in my collection. Things like a variation, lightning rod pieces, 3-digit flag#'s, 2-digit flag#'s, Flag#'s with all the same numbers like #1111 or #2222 and so on, maybe a gold piece if you're really lucky, and the ultimate would be a single-digit flag#. It changes things beyond the norm in a collection.

smile Bob smile

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users