Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Maybe it's just me, but don't you wish people selling HL's on eBay would:

Put the flag# in the description;

Come right out and state whether the original box comes with the piece;

Forget the history lesson about the light;

Give an accurate description of any damage to a piece;

Don't put any confusing things in the description just come right out and state if it is a LE, GLOW, LLOM, etc.

Post the shipping and insurance charges or include one of those handy "put your zip code here" things;

I'm sure many of you browse through eBay quite frequently and would benefit from the above. Do you have any other suggestions for eBay sellers?

smile Bob smile

Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142792 03/28/04 10:43 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Yeah, just one suggestion. Take them off Ebay and post them on the Forums so Forum members can make all buyers aware if they are being ripped off by misrepresentation of the piece.

Rich
Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142793 03/28/04 10:54 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I agree with you. I usually don't consider an item unless it has what mentioned plus the country of origin (if it is an older version) and any apecial items like lighthing rod (& condition), signatures or known variations (paint, spelling, etc.). I'm sure there are some people selling that may not know some of this information,but I have found that unless it is something that I am really looking for without this type of info I'm not real interested. If I am interested I may take the time to email them, but normally not.

One thing that I have looked for a lot lately is pictures. People who take multiple pictures of the piece usually show me that they know the piece and it's value, and are interested in the real collector and giving them all information. A picture of the flag, the bottom, the latern room (& rod if present), and a picture of the whole piece really let me make up my mind quickly. I really like whole view pictures that have the piece in front of the box (sticker showing) and multiple views are also nice. Taking the time to give the info visually really helps me seperate the knowledgeable sellers from those just dumping extras on the market.

However, I must admit that things are getting better in some respects. I remember a few years ago we would get much more that was distracting than helpful. Things like music, a three page history of the lighthouse, and useless pieces of information seem to be less now than when I first started using ebay a long time ago. Also I am glad that there are actually more of the unique older pieces available that only used to be available from secondary dealers. I have seen Canadians, Hatteras mold I, and even the Split Rock MI pop up somewhat frequently as compared to years ago. However, this has also meant the demise of the secondary dealer who you could trust and depend on. But the best thing that I have found is that I have never been burned by a sale, although I did get one piece that streched the desctiption of "excellent condition" a long way. Bottom line for me is that if you look for good sellers who contain good information you get a good piece. The others that advertise with a song and dance with little useful info are no help and I just click the back button and go onto the next item. Actually I've gotten to the point that I can tell from many sellers name, or their page style who I don't want to deal with very quickly and avoid them completely.

Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142794 03/28/04 11:51 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I surf Ebay quite a bit too and agree that the history of light is of no importance to me. It certainly would be great if the seller would include the number and pictures with a background that causes some of the detail to be lost.

I just got burnt on a piece that was listed in excellent condition, but when it arrived the ventilator ball is missing and the broken off piece was not in the box. Piece was also very poorly packed. The picture posted had a partial black background so I was not able to tell that something was amiss. I've emailed the seller but haven't heard from him yet. frown Only thing that makes this situation a little more tolerable is the price I paid.

I haven't had much luck getting a reply to any inquiry I've sent to find out about box and number. So when they don't reply, I make a mental note about that person, and don't bid on their items.

All other completed transactions on Ebay have been great.

Melody
Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142795 03/29/04 02:43 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bob, you bring up an issue I have had some problems with over the past few months. I must say though that prior to summer 2003 I had few to no problems related to an Ebay Harbour Lights purchase. As a result I developed a list of 16 questions that I ask the seller only on those older or more costly lights for the most part. I have also found that the old saying " believe only half of what you see" rings true with some item pictures on Ebay. I have posted my list of questions below. To be sure I have received varied responses to these questions with most being nice, some being fun and in jest and others being ... well you get the Idea.
Oh by the way Bob thanks for helping me to find that low Flag # Charlotte Genesee I was looking for. All Please look over the 16 questions for Ebay sellers below and please respond with your comments. My guess is these questions may cause a little debate here on the forums,and I hope they do!I will give the debate a little help by stating that these questions fall under the "A" retentive category(LOL).I do not want to pay for something I do not like,and I don't think I have ever met anyone who did.

So here goes... My "A" retentive list of questions for Ebay sellers...........

Hello,

I have several questions regarding your Ebay auction of Harbour Lights. The questions are the result of buying experiences as there are different methods and opinions to define, or describe the condition of an item. Not all of the questioned requirements must be met for me to consider bidding. I have never given a negative or neutral feedback comment to any seller. I would appreciate your consideration and careful attention in answering the following questions.

1.Does it come with certificate of authenticity?

2.Does it come with registration card?

3.Does it come with hand painted card? (Small white card with initials signed and string whole in one corner. Applicable to Malaysian mold pieces 1991 to 1998).

4.Does it come with a tent card? (Where applicable. Early pieces did not come with a tent card)

5.Any chips, cracks, or breaks in material, or missing broken off parts of material to include base, landscaping, tower, and buildings or any other areas?

6.Any chips, rubs, flaking, fading of paint, missing paint, or excessive dust to include the roof, landscaping, light room, ventilator ball on top, tower or any other area?

7.Any repairs made to the piece that you know of, or can detect?

8.Does it come with country of origin sticker on felt on bottom of piece?(I.E. made in Malaysia gold round sticker with black print 1991 to 1998, made in china clear oval sticker with black print where applicable, or made in Canada round or rectangle white to gray with red print).

9.Any price stickers or other non – Harbour Lights stickers on the green felt on bottom of piece?

10.Have any stickers been removed from green felt on bottom of piece showing a dark outline where the sticker glue remains?

11.Any marring, or removal, of Harbour Lights sticker, country of origin sticker, or green felt on bottom of piece?

12.Does it come with the original box with number in marker pen not corrected or changed, or pencil for Canadian boxes not corrected or changed, matching the flag number on piece?

13.Any rips, tears, water damage, fading, removal or missing Harbour Lights label, or other damage to box?

14.Any price stickers or other markings on box other than Harbour Lights label and flag number?

15.Does packing include original bubble wrap bag 1991 to 1996, or Styrofoam insert 1996 to present?

16.If I am not satisfied with the piece will you allow return for refund?

I have sincere interest in your auction(s) for bidding purchase consideration, and welcome any questions.

Please write back.
Thank You

Lonnie
Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142796 03/30/04 12:38 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jazzer/Lonnie,

I think you've got an excellent set of questions, in fact the entire email is very well put.

May I use?

Melody
Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142797 03/30/04 10:51 AM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think the above email is excellent, and if all of of Forums members who bid on ebay would use it with all of our bids, it might just help to reduce the repeat HL sellers who "shade the truth" in words or pictures. It will not eliminate the outright lie, or the inadvertant oversight. Very well thought out list.

Geo H.
Re: A wish for eBay sellers... #142798 04/01/04 04:07 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jazzer/Lonnie,

Very good post. If everyone would provide the information to address the questions you posed, suprises would be kept to a minimum .... good list!! smile smile smile

Dan

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users