Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Such a deal! #142456 09/12/09 11:55 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've been thinking about reducing the amount of duplicate pieces in my HL Collection. The thought that came to mind was to literally give them away. I don't mean having people come to my house and load their trunks and trailers, but rather a slower reduction in my collection without a lot of aggravation and work on my part.

I was thinking of promoting this site by giving posters here a chance to get a free HL by just being a poster, and help reduce my inventory. The only strings attached would be the receiptient would have to pay for the shipping and insurance.

Here is what I'm thinking. I would start a special thread for each piece to be given away, and everytime the thread reaches 50 different posters I will give one HL away. I will write the amount it cost to ship it on the outside of the mailing box and the receiptient must reimburse me for the shipping and insurance charges before I'll give another HL away.

Once the 50 mark has been reached, I will start another thread looking for 50 more posters to join in. It can be the same 50 from the first giveaway as long as each poster only posts once for each giveaway. There is another catch to this. You do not get to pick what HL you will receive. I'm just going to grab the next available one from my storage, make sure it's a duplicate, then mail it to the person who was chosen at randon from the 50 posters. The giveaway will continue until someone fails to reimburse me for postage or I determine enough has been given away.

I make no guarantees regarding condition of the HL's, the fact it may or may not have the original box, paperwork, etc. As "Geraldine" (Flip Wilson) stated, "What you see is what you get!" I don't expect to hear complaints and no returns. All you are paying for is the actual cost to get the HL to you. Your cost to receive the free HL will probably be between $10-$15 depending on size, weight, and where you live.

Before I start this "Give away", I would like some feedback on my offer. Do it as a reply to this thread. Let's here both pros and cons. I'll read your comments and if enough people think this is a good idea, I will start the program in a week or so. Let's hear what you have to say.

smile Bob

Re: Such a deal! #142457 09/12/09 12:23 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, I think your idea is a good one and a very generous one too !!!

Interesting to see how many post replies.

A random HL, great for us collectors with a lot of missing pieces!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Such a deal! #142458 09/12/09 01:22 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
That's very generous. As you are giving these away, perhaps maybe add a stipulation that the recipient give $5.00 to the lighthouse fund preservation fund? Still a great deal and it would help the preservation efforts.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Such a deal! #142459 09/12/09 01:39 PM
M
Mystery Guest Offline
Wacko
Wacko
M
Bob, your offer is generous, but have my own duplicates, so wouldn't be interested. Frankly, I would be surprised, based on the level of current postings, if there would be 50 posters for an unknown item even with a cost of only $10-15. Just my opinion.

mg

Re: Such a deal! #142460 09/12/09 04:11 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
VERY creative idea Bob! Haven't ever seen someone do this before as an individual from their collection.

You may have to revise the 50 posts amount downward, but just reserve the right to adjust your giveaway program after each piece is given.

Like the above idea of a SMALL gift for lighthouse restoration, etc. with each piece given.

Also try to keep S&H as reasonable as possible.

For new collector's and those who need many pieces, this would be a great program and interest builder for Lighthousekeepers web site.

Hope things work out for you to do this!

Re: Such a deal! #142461 09/12/09 07:09 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I think it's a very interesting and creative idea. I'm not trying to throw water on the fire, but, I feel you will have a very hard time getting 50 different posters. I may be wrong but 35-40 posters would be the number I would pick for the first time until your idea spreads arount to the lurkers.

Rich
Re: Such a deal! #142462 09/12/09 07:20 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Why not do a trial run? $20 and what you don't need for shipping goes to the fund.

Laura
Re: Such a deal! #142463 09/13/09 10:32 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think it is a good idea. Definitely worth a try. And a very generous offer too! If it gets more postings on the board then it can't be a bad thing. I know I am a little lax when it comes to postings. A little incentive wouldn't hurt.

Cathy

Re: Such a deal! #142464 09/15/09 01:21 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very generous indeed!
I like the notion of cost of shipping plus a small donation to lighthouse preservation.

Debbie
Re: Such a deal! #142465 09/15/09 01:56 PM
ginnyanne Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Very generous of you. You set the rules.

Re: Such a deal! #142466 09/15/09 04:12 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Only eight indididual replies since the 12th so I think that the 50 posts from different members will not happen. I'm not being negative, I'm only being realistic.

Rich
Re: Such a deal! #142467 09/15/09 07:01 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I was seriously hoping for a better initial response. Apparently, my hopes to generate more people visiting the CF will fall short of what I wanted to do. I thought what I offered was a good opportunity.

Many of you have made good suggestions but I don't want to deviate from my original planned HL Giveaway. I figured if enough lurkers visit each day it should be rather easy to gather 50 different people in an individual thread for a free HL if you pay the postage and insurance. If a group of fifty was to establish itself, it would be easy for those fifty to just check out the CF and post again for another free HL.

I'll see if there is more response in the next week or so. I feel once you get people in the habit of posting again they will have a tendency to visit more often. That's what we need to keep this thing going.

smile Bob

Re: Such a deal! #142468 09/16/09 12:58 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
It's a great idea Bob! I think there are lots of lighthouse wackos who may stumble across this website looking for lighthouse info. The connection to collecting Harbour Lights may be the last thing on their mind. But a free offer and a little of the HL collecting dust...

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Such a deal! #142469 09/16/09 07:27 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Keep in mind that alot of the members are on a trip right now. Sept 12 thru 26. Maybe there will be a better response later.

Laura
Re: Such a deal! #142470 09/16/09 09:22 PM
WVsister Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I am afraid I must admit to lurking. I look and read but do not often post. This is a very generous offer and I hope you don't give up on the idea.

Nancy
Re: Such a deal! #142471 09/21/09 08:16 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch. Only a handful of CF members responded. That's not enough to make my offer work. I thought it was a good idea but the majority of the people who visit the CF must have thought otherwise. My extras can sit in storage until another idea comes my way.

smile Bob

Re: Such a deal! #142472 09/22/09 12:52 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It was a super idea Bob and very generous of you. Very sad that it didn't inspire any one to take a moment or two and post. A Harbour Lights piece for a few posts and shipping.... such a deal!
I know that things have changed drastically with the economy and stress of day to day life. I know personally that I don't have enough time to do as much as I'd like and sometimes I feel because I can't afford to collect the new pieces or couldn't afford to take a lighthouse trip that I desperately wanted and needed... I don't have as much to contribute as I'd like.

Debbie
Re: Such a deal! #142473 09/22/09 07:05 PM
S
Sooner Schooner Offline
Wacko
Wacko
S
I would suggest to keep your idea "open" until say the first of next month.

It has already been mentioned that there are a lot of members that are off on trips right now.
Also, such as life is these days, folks might not be able to check the site more than once a week. And they just might not have anything to say/post then.

Might I suggest one amendment to your idea, it might generate more responses. List the one to be given away. Current economic times may prevent some from taking a chance, even for just the cost of shipping. OR, at least, a list of the possible ones to be given away. So folks can have an idea of which ones are in play. You don't even have to list all that you have in mind. Just pick out the first few you are considering.

Just some humble thoughts offered up for your consideration.

PS: To get 50 different posters might be a little too high of a number. I have been the organizer for postcard exchanges of varying types for a little while now. Considering the responses I have had for those, you might really want to consider lowering that number. At least to get started with. I would suggest 20-25 max. If all goes well with the first offering, how about raising that number by 5 each time. Start with 20 for the first offering. The second one 25, etc.

Re: Such a deal! #142474 09/23/09 01:51 AM
Bill38429 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I agree with the last post. I think it's a very wonderful and generous offer. I already own a number of HLs and there are particular ones I am interested in (obviously, for only a $10 to $15 shipping fee I would add some to my list). However, things are very, very tight for me financially right now. While paying only shipping is an incredible deal, I don't know if I would take the chance on getting a duplicate or a light I'm not that interested in.

Please don't take this post negatively because I feel people should jump on this offer. It's an incredible and more than generous offer. It's just my personal situation dictates that I hold on to as much money as possible unless it's something that I really, really want. I do hope others can do it because I think it's a wonderful deal.

Re: Such a deal! #142475 09/26/09 10:08 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The responders to this thread make some interesting and valid points. I was surprised by the lack of overall response on a site with so many registered members. The opportunity to receive a Harbour Lights Lighthouse for free, if you pay the shipping, is a good one.

I often think about the HL Collectors who would literally travel hundreds of miles and would be ecstatic if they were fortunate enough to win most any HL product. The cost of them traveling was far more than a $10-$15 shipping and insurance cost. As a matter of fact, I won a Pemaquid Point on two seperate occasions. I do believe I have 4 or 5 of those in stock. There was no, "I don't want to win those prizes because I have all of them now." Duplicates were always welcome. They were good for gifts, for trade, or even for sale.

I do totally understand the poor economic times and the fact that people must be concerned about what they spend their hard-earned dollars on. There are many necessary things you must have to survive, and collectibles is not one of them.

Things have certainly changed in the HL Collecting World. I'm still hoping things may turn around some day.

smile Bob

Re: Such a deal! #142476 09/26/09 06:39 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am sure that they will turn around when the economy does.
I know I have my list of must haves ready for when it does!

Debbie

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users