Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142015 10/07/04 04:28 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We're already seeing requests from collectors who won't be able to attend the reunion but who want to work out deals to purchase or trade for one of these Reunion Exclusives.

Reminds me that before the first Reunion in 1997, I 'sold' a New Point Loma for about $375 prior to the reunion. After the reunion, several were sold at $1,000 and higher so the 'future buyer' got a pretty good deal.

Everybody hates a 'profiteer' but we live in a market-driven economy. Couples attending the reunion could have 4 of the Reunion exclusives (but only 2 of the miniatures) on their hands.

My guess is there will be less than 900 made and I don't think there will be a 'Collectors Society version'.

Could the pre-sale of 2 or 3 of these pieces help to underwrite the expenses of the trip?

What kind of deal would you want to strike as a buyer and/or a seller? Half up-front, half on delivery? All up-front? All on-delivery?

What happens of the prospective seller ends up not being able to attend?

What other issues might there be?

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142016 10/07/04 07:25 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, I see an opening already. One person has reported that they ordered 3 of the Waugoshaunce when they were entitled to order 4. So to that person, the value of an extra piece is nothing.

If I were in the market for one of these rare beauties, I'd be in touch with that person and at least offer them $75 + a few dollars for their troubles to up their order to 4 pieces.

Shipping would be extra since the pieces will be shipped to the attendees' homes rather than being brought to Mackinac Island for you to schlep home afterwards. All will be pre-signed as I understand it.

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142017 10/07/04 09:08 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Maybe I totally misunderstood. I was under the impression that the total any attendee could order was two.

Bob

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142018 10/07/04 09:55 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That was a couple who ordered 3. wink

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142019 10/07/04 11:44 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yea, Yea, John..... you don't have to rub it in.... I know I screwed up!

Should have ordered 4 and was already kicking myself as I hung up the phone.... but it was too late. eek shocked shocked :rolleyes:

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142020 10/08/04 03:58 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I doubt it's too late. Call them back tomorrow and tell them you want 4. They're flexible, I'm sure.

"And would you like fries with that order?"

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142021 10/08/04 08:02 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
There's no denying that the worth of HL's has decreased tremendously if only in the minds of nervous collectors who originally purchased their pieces figuring the value would steadily increase. Then came the stage where collectors got even more nervous and decided if they could get their money back, as compared to making a profit, they would be happy. Then came the stage where people are ready to jump out the window because they see pieces like the ones in their collection selling for half-price or even less.

The only reason this is happening is because collectors are forcing it to happen. If every HL Dealer stayed true to retail pricing with no discounts, and collectors refused to sell pieces below their original price, their would be no bargain pricing.

Auction houses are the latest people to flood the collectible market with cheap prices on HL's. Stores go out of business and dump their stock for whatever they can get for it. Collectors fall on hard times or develop health problems, cash problems, or whatever, and look for a way to dispose of things they can no longer afford to keep. Bingo, bargain prices for buyers and a kick in the butt for sellers. Fellow collectors everywhere suffer because the overall value of their collections is lessened.

In conclusion, I would say that everyone attending the reunion should buy the maximum amount of pieces allowed. You have to strike while the iron is hot. It is your chance to at least double your money while the interest is high, and we all know you're not going to double your money at your local Savings & Loans in this economy.

Keep what you want and sell the rest. Holding on to the extras will not guarantee an even greater profit a year after the reunion.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: A 'Futures Market' in Wagoshaunce? #142022 10/27/04 01:20 AM
W
wishigan Offline
W
I will not be making it to the Reunion but if those that are there wave flags, I may see them. I live 16 miles from Mackinac on the Les Cheneaux Islands (to the east on the north shore of Lake Huron).
Being so close, I wanted to register as a "day" attendee and go back and forth on my boat. But they say no "day" people.
That means I need to find someone to get me the reunion piece. Anyone willing to get an extra one for me?

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users