Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141938 04/03/04 12:44 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just posted a New Point Loma flag# 813 at the New Marketplace. Here's a copy of the ad:

Quote:
Here's a little experiment to see if people are paying attention. I have a New Point Loma flag# 813 for sale a little further back at the New Marketplace. My asking price is $375. NPL are very hard to come by and this particular piece often sold for $450-$600. I have had no inquiries on this piece. Is it because the price is too high? This piece often sold for $450-$600. Is it because no one who actually reads the items offered at the New Marketplace needs this piece?

Well here's my experiment and your chance to get a great deal on this extremely rare HL. If you contact me by email before 0930 hrs on 4/4/04 (my time on the East Coast) I will sell you this piece with it's original box and paperwork for $300 plus $12 towards shipping and insurance. The piece has been displayed in my glass enclosed curio so it would be considered in excellent condition. I purchased this piece for $450 from a fellow forum member a few years ago. Since then I acquired another one so the one for sale is an extra.

I must stipulate that if you email me that you want to purchase this piece at this drastically reduced price, I must receive your payment within ten days or the offer is off.

My email address is biri97@aol.com and it's first come, first serve.

The clock is ticking ladies and gentlemen!

I'm offering this piece for less money than I ever saw this piece offered for in the past. The reason I'm doing this is to show whether or not people pay attention to what's for sale at the New Marketplace, or just occasionally read what's offered. I paid $450 for this piece so I'm taking a chance of a real beating on it. Yet again I now have two of them so I'm willing to offer the piece at a reduced price.

Place your bets! Will it sell within the 24 hour period? How many inquiries do you think I'll receive? This is a Saturday-Sunday thing when most people might be off and browsing through the CF.

Time will tell!

cool Bob cool

Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141939 04/03/04 10:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'd be very surprised if you sold it for $300.00 Bob. I might be way off base and I think the price is great but the buyers now want you to practically give things away. Most of the serious buyers already have one (I have) and the newer collectors don't really want to spend that much money on something they figure will eventually come out in a GLOW for $50.00. This is of course is only my opinion and I wish you luck. Keep us posted.

Rich
Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141940 04/04/04 12:57 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What happens if you don't get any replies, Bob? Try and sell it for $375 again? laugh (LOL) laugh

I had a chance to sell one a few years ago for $600 and passed because I had sold one for $675 just a month before! Wish now I did it!

My... My... how things have changed....

Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141941 04/04/04 10:41 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good morning gang, ...With two hours to go, there have been no takers on this special offer. I received three emails about the ad and the NPL to show that a few people are paying attention.

You're absolutely right, Randy, when you said, "How things have changed." NPL's were certainly hard to come by and commanded a high price not long ago. I truly believe that they are still worth $400-$450. The problem is finding a person who needs one for their collection and is willing to spend the money to get it.

I read the ads at the New Marketplace several times daily. I see great pieces being offered at great prices. I only wish those pieces would have been available at those prices when I was building my collection.

Rich, you are also absolutely right about buyers wanting sellers to practically give their pieces away. The flames of passion for collectibles has been doused. There is no longer a demand for pieces at a premium price. Collectors are now accustomed to paying less than retail to fill their curios. Collectors have developed a mindset that cheap is good.

I still believe there are many extremely dedicated collectors out there who are still passionate about what they collect. The problem is finding a way to spread the enthusiasm to new collectors and fan the flames. Without new collectors our "ships" are dead in the water.

Most every one of us have collected what we intended to collect, ranging from complete collections to regional collections. Some of us are on autoship while others pick and choose what they want to add to a collection. The thrill of the hunt is gone. We no longer travel great distances visiting dealers hoping to find a little treasure hidden on a shelf or in a stock room.

Will the secondary market ever come back and thrive like it once did? Will collectibles bounce back from the current slump they are in? Are complete collections a thing of the past? There are so many questions, but too few answers.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141942 04/04/04 11:00 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob I notice your post but I all ready have a NPL. Paid $750 and thought it would never lose its value.
I don't need an other one. Now if Harbour lights made one with a variation I might be interested.
There are obviously no new collectors that collect the rare ones. Us old collectors already got the easy to find rare ones. Now we are searching for the hard to find rare HL.
Like the Canadian Southern Bells.

DANIEL
Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141943 04/04/04 01:02 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I just read this post.

And if you will extend your time frame (just an hour or two)you have a buyer.....ME! laugh

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141944 04/04/04 02:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder, at some point does the supply dry up and then the market begin supporting a higher price?
You figure that since 2 pieces were available per attendee that approximately 50% could be resold.
If my record keeping is correct 950 were made, leaving about 475 to be potentially resold, out of that 475 I would guess that maybe half or more of those have been sold already. So at some point in the future will the price come back? only time will tell. I still believe there are new collectors just finding Harbour Lights each day, Will they go back and try to collect all the older retired pieces, a few will...

just my 2 cents (1.485 cents Canadian)
Mark

Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141945 04/04/04 06:37 PM
Medicman Offline
Bob, you bet your butt I'm interested.... but the wallet is empty! Well...not empty but surely not running over. Sure I'd like to have one in my collection. The 153 pieces I have is a nice show... but if I had the cash laying around, I'd rather buy Randy's CH102 and I can't afford that one either... unless he still has it this fall when the Christmas club check comes in the mail.
Just to let you know... I'm not waiting for the glow version to come out. There's just abunch of others I still want to get for my collection.

Re: Will this experiment generate interest in this NPL? #141946 04/04/04 06:53 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I will honor Stephanie's request so the piece has been sold. I really felt it was a great deal at that price, and it's nice to help another CF member fill in an empty spot in their collection.

I still have many more doubles but not as rare and valuable as the NPL. Watch for more "special offers" in the very near future. Hopefully, I will be able to make another fellow collector smile.

smile Bob smile

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,342 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users