Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where are you from? (Part 3) #141443 08/11/99 10:17 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The "Where are you from" thread is a popular one. It's great to hear from the new folks joining us here at the forum.

I just closed the "Where are you from? (Part 2) as it had reached 50 messages. Take a peek at the former and leave your message on the new "Where are you from" thread. Let us know where you are from and a little bit about yourself. You'll find a lot of friendly people at this site!

Welcome aboard!!!

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141444 08/16/99 06:52 PM
Mapper Offline
I am from Wisconsin originally. Born and raised in Waupun, outside of the walls! Rolla, Missouri has been my home for over twenty years now. My family (wife and two boys) and I enjoy the life style found in a small town on the edge of the Ozarks. Only two problems, Harbour Lights dealers are a little hard to find, and it is a long drive to the nearest lighthouse. Closest dealer is over 50 miles away, closest lighthouse is probably in Chicago. Thank goodness for the Internet.

Always had an interest in lighthouses. A couple of years ago I was given a Cape Hatteras OE for Christmas and have been collecting Harbour Lights ever since. I continued by finding all of the Wisconsin lights. Gifts for dad are never a problem anymore. I found a need to budget my Harbour Lights purchases, but usually manage to buy one or two MORE than the budget allows.

Traveled to Wisconsin’s Door County this summer. Spent as much time visiting lighthouses as possible, seeing half of I think 10 that are located in the county. If you have never taken the time to travel to Door County, TAKE IT! It’s a wonderful place to vacation and visit lighthouses. The lighthouse art available in the various studios is also very good.

Expect to continue to share with all of you from time to time. Thanks to those of you who put in so much time keeping this forum available and in order for the rest of us.

Allen (or is it Mr Donut)

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141445 08/16/99 11:08 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome aboard, Allen. Harbour Light Dealers are always as close as your computer or telephone in some cases. Retired @ Retail can find those HLs you are looking for in most cases. It is kind of nice to visit the HL dealers looking for the "right" pieces you need for your collection. Even though I have most of the total collection, I still stop by different dealers just to see what they have to offer.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141446 08/17/99 11:34 PM
RezmanDale Offline
I'm new to this, I have been reading some of the forums and am thrilled to know there are others as obsessed as I am with Harbour Lights. I just started collecting this year. Wish I knew about HL when they started. I'm from a little town in the mountains of Arizona working with Navajo and Apache youth. Not much here to connect me to light houses. Went on a cruse in January of 98 and saw Key West. after waiting for our hotel room to open when we returned, my wife and I decided to fine the lighthouse that was supposed to be near by. Turned out to be Hillsbors. We also saw Jupiter inlet, Sanibel, Cozumel Mexico, and Boca Grande. I think I saw Sand Key but didn't know what it was until I started getting into lighthouses.
Thanks to those that put in the time for this forum. Hope to get to know everyone soon! My collection is small when campared with some of you but I already have 12. I was able to find some of the origional 17 at retail. A little shop here in Show Low had them. I was sure surprised to find them here. They don't have them anymore! Look forward to chatting some more. Keep the flame!
Dale

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141447 08/18/99 08:46 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
To Dale and the "Mapper",

Welcome to the forum!!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141448 08/18/99 12:50 PM
LamarB Offline
Welcome Dale and Mapper. Hope to see your participation in the forums regularly.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141449 08/18/99 10:24 PM
JoAnn Offline
To Mapper & Dale
Welcome to the forum from a new WACKO
Looking forward to your posts!
JoAnn

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141450 08/24/99 11:29 PM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Welcome Dale and Mapper,

I new myself to this but have found all the
LC's (lighthouse crazies) really a great bunch! As far as a budget, I threw that out on my second purchase... Although my wife is always looking over my shoulder.

Tony

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141451 08/24/99 11:29 PM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Welcome Dale and Mapper,

I new myself to this but have found all the
LC's (lighthouse crazies) really a great bunch! As far as a budget, I threw that out on my second purchase... Although my wife is always looking over my shoulder.

Tony

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141452 08/25/99 02:48 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Tony --

The Wacko Acceptance Committee frowns on those double postings just to reach the magic 50!!

John

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141453 08/26/99 01:35 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Sorry Saint John,
Although my wife thinks I'm way beyond wacko status right now, (at least after the last shipment of HL'S). Anyway I think the reason was the that I had just gotten out of the Marketplace and was still in shock over some of the prices!
Tony

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141454 08/26/99 02:38 PM
RFoster Offline
Welcome Allen, Dale & Tony,

It's always refreshing to find new members of the HL family of collectors enjoying this wonderful hobby & forum. You won't find a nicer, more dedicated and helpful bunch of friends than here in these forums.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141455 08/26/99 07:32 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Welcome to the Harbour Lights forum Mapper, Dale, and Tony, and, welcome to the "family" of HL collectors. Its so exciting to see so many new lighthouse enthusiasts join our ranks. This forum is an excellent resourse for guidance and help, you can never go wrong here!!

Have Fun, and Keep the Flame!!!
Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141456 08/30/99 01:27 AM
C
charlie97 Offline
C
I was born in metro Atlanta and have lived here all of my life. The only lighthouse I have ever been in is Ponce Inlet. Back in 1984, my wife and I were on vacation in Daytona and we saw the lighthouse while out cruising around ( we were still young enough to cruise back then ). My sister-in-law has been collecting Harbour Lights for several years and I always enjoyed looking at hers. I was out with my wife and sister-in-law a couple of months ago and we went into a store that sold Harbour Lights. I saw the Ponce Inlet 'GLOW' they had on display and it ended up coming home with me. I now have nine lighthouses and my wife has all 18 of the 'Spyglass' series.
We have joined the the Harbour Lights Collectors Society and are in the process of joining a local Harbour Lights club. My wife has pulled my purchasing privileges so I guess there won't be any new HL's for a while. I hope to get to know some of you better as time goes by.

Chuck
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141457 08/30/99 01:28 AM
C
charlie97 Offline
C
[This message has been edited by charlie97 (edited 08-29-99).]

Chuck
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141458 08/30/99 03:55 AM
T
Tom & Monica Offline
T
I'm originally from a little town in Central California called Hanford, now we both reside in the desert where there are lighthouses galore (ha, ha). I'm talking none other than Phoenix, AZ. I am a country girl at heart...been raised on a farm that grows cotton. I visited the west coast numerous of times, but I have to admit I never really noticed any of the lighthouses until I met my fiancé Tommy.

Tommy's originally from Florida. Our first vacation to Florida was spent in Fort Lauderdale and Stuart. This is where I really "saw" my first lighthouse... Jupiter. Tommy has a passion for the sea, and has used these beacons to navigate back and forth to the Bahamas many times. Our next vacation was the west coast just for the sole purpose of seeing every lighthouse we could. We saw Alcatraz, Point Penos, the one at Big Sur from a distance. My son Paul loves to go with us on our hunting for Harbour Lights. (He thinks the one at Sea World was a real lighthouse, but hey he’s only four.)

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141459 08/30/99 08:28 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
A big Hello!! and welcome to the forums to Charlie97, Tom & Monica.

You will find that this is the best site on the net to share your news and views about LH's and lighthouses in general.

You will make many new friends as I have!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141460 08/30/99 08:32 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Charlie 97 and Tom & Monica!

Welcome to the best Internet site for Harbour Lights information! The Collector's Forum and Harbour Lights.com are two places you can spend several hours a day in and not see or read everything.

The people who frequent this site are the friendliest you'll ever meet. If you have a question, ask it. If you have something to share with the gang, by all means do so.

It's great to have you aboard!

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141461 08/30/99 01:02 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome Charlie, Tom, Monica!

Charlie: Hope you don't get "cut off" for too long.

T&M: Was at Jupiter Beach many years ago but at that time I only had eyes for the lifeguard, lol!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141462 08/30/99 07:51 PM
RFoster Offline
Welcome Charlie, Monica & Tom,

It's great to hear from you and about your lighthousemania. I'm glad that you decided to post a message here and share your experiences with us.

Charlie, maybe it will be awhile before you can go purchase that next lighthouse but the upside is you already have some to enjoy......together (that's important). I must say that Ponce is one of our favorite light stations. Mary Jane and I had the chance to climb the tower several years ago and enjoy the wonderful restoration job that has been done there.

Monica & Tom, when you mention Jupiter Inlet it brings back memories of when we ate dinner next door to the lighthouse and for desert Mary Jane had a red chocolate lighthouse filled with chocolate moose. It's great that lighthouses are something the two of you can enjoy together.

I look forward to hearing from all of you through these wonderful forums. Best wishes to you.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141463 08/30/99 10:12 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
To Charlie, Tom & Moinca:

Welcome to the Collectors Forum!!!!

There is a wealth of information to be found here on a number topics and some humor to make you laugh along the way.

Everyone here is friendly and always willing to help out or answer a question. Feel at home, sit back, and get comfortable. Most of all, have fun!

-Todd

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141464 08/30/99 11:33 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Ron: Hope it was a mousse Mary Jane ate, not a moose!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141465 08/30/99 11:33 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
To Charlie, Tom, Monica and Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find many interesting people and stories here. We've had threads on everything from lighthouses to chipmunks or is that chipmonks? All I know is, some of it has been quite enlightening, some very funny and most are informative. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

To Tom and Monica, it's good that Paul is interested. Nice to see the next generation start young.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141466 08/31/99 08:49 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hello! I'm from New Jersey. As I type this I'm listening to John Gorka who has a popular song (with his fans, at least) called "I'm From New Jersey".The most appropriate lines go something like this- "it's loke Ohio, only more so"; "I'm from New Jersey so I don't expect much". You get the gist. He is originally from NJ and if he comes to your area go see him . He puts on a grat show. He's a singer-songwriter/ folk singer. Anyway, as I said I'm from NJ and I've lived in the same area (Trenton/ Hamilton) all my life. I just got bitten hard by the lighthouse bug. I had visited several Lighthouses in Maine in 1997- Portland Head, Owls Head, Marshall Point and Permiquid. I went o Hilton Head this past May and visited the Sea Pines lighthouse. I shortly thereafter purchased the GLOW for it. I then went hog wild and purchased way too much stuff. I have purchased most of my items from eBay or the Marketplace. I did purchase some locally. I have visited 15 Lighthouse as of this past Sunday (Absecon was the latest).I have a trip planned for the week after Labor Day where there is a potential of visiting/photographing 50. I plan to go to some in CT( New London, Stonington, etc), RI (Block IS, Rose IS, etc), and MA(M. Vine., Nant., Cape Cod .I hope that my namesake Hurricane Dennis coperates and goes far out to sea.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141467 08/31/99 10:13 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hi, My name is Bert and I'm from Eastern Massachusetts. I've been collecting Harbor lights for about Three years now, and the only one I visited before bying was Beavertail.. Been fishing off Beavertail for years, even though I haven't done any for the past 20 years. I guess you might say I've done it backwards, I buy the Harbor Lights and then I go visit the actual lighthouses that I can get to. I,m a retired crimefighter and I do manage to get some time to go and see many of the beautiful lighthouses here in the New England area. Glad to be part of this group and I've met more than a few very nice people while visiting lighthouses with my wife.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141468 08/31/99 11:42 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Bert and "wheland" (or is it Dennis?),

Welcome to the Collector's Forum! This is a great place to visit and a good way to share your thoughts and experiences relating to lighthouses and Harbour Lights.I hope you visit often and share your personal experiences with us.

Hey Bert...we certainly have plenty of lighthouses to visit in our area. I live in Massachusetts also. I've probably passed you at Beavertail when I head out to Block Island. I think we were in the same business too.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141469 09/01/99 09:05 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Welcome to the Newbies "Wheland" and Burt!!

I will echo Bob's sentiments, please visit often and share.

And above all............................

Keep the Flame!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141470 09/01/99 07:01 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob, It is Dennis. I realized I had not put that in my message. I just use wheland because it' eas y to use for everything that needs a user name. I guess I suffer from lack of imagination. Dennis

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141471 09/03/99 12:04 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just wanted to say "Hello". I am from the Atlanta area, and just started collecting HL's just a few months ago. I have joined the Collectors Society, and am having a ball reading your forums. The information has been great for a "newbie". My wife and I spent a few weeks in Florida, and coastal Georgia taking some time off and visiting several lighthouses. We Visisted, St. Augustine, Ponce, St. Simons, Tybee, Amelia, and Cockspure. Had a great time, and took a lot of pictures. My first HL lighthouse was Big Sable. (Just liked the piece). Have since purchased Amelia, (2)Boston Harbors(1 with rod), and Sannibel.
Thanks for your forums, they are a big help to a new collector!
Rusty

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141472 09/03/99 02:09 PM
Augie K. Offline
A big Hello and an even bigger Welcome to all of newbies. Glad to see you here.

The Flame

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141473 09/06/99 06:38 PM
C
charlie97 Offline
C
Hello and welcome, Rusty, from another 'newbie' in the Atlanta area.
I didn't realize there were very many lighthouse lovers in land-locked north Georgia.

------------------

Chuck

Chuck
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141474 09/07/99 03:12 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
A big HELLO and welcome to the forum Rusty!!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141475 09/07/99 04:03 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
Rusty welcome to HL and this forum. If you ever need any help this is the place to get it. All the forum users have been a great deal of help to me the last few years.

This is for ALL newbies and wantabes.

------------------
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob St Clair (edited 09-07-99).]

Bob
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141476 09/07/99 05:54 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome Rusty! It's really great to have new folks joining us here at the Forums. The Harbour Lights Family of Friends just keeps getting larger every week. If you are interested in HLs, you've definitely come to the right place for all the information you will ever need.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141477 09/07/99 08:33 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you all want a change of pace, I could give a seminar on "Gravedigging"!!!!!

Digger

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141478 09/10/99 10:22 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Hi all you newbies. Great to see so many enjoying this forum. Great people here.
A special hi to fellow zonies Tom and Monica. It's interesting that a fellow Phoenician climbed their first light at Jupiter Fl. That was mine as well. I've been to 40+ lighthouses since. I live in Show Low, AZ now and am trying to visit all of California's lighthouses. Have you seen all of the LA light haouses yet? (Angel's gate, Point Fermin, Point Vicnete, Point Huemene, and Long Beach Robot?) Welcome to the forum.
Dale

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141479 10/13/99 07:48 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Slowly but surely the new people take a moment to say "Hi" and post something on the forum. I've been watching the number of people registered here go up slowly each week. If you're new to the Collector's Forums, and you haven't posted anything yet, how about starting with this thread to let us know where you're from. You'll find everyone here is friendly and willing to answer any questions you may have.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141480 10/19/99 06:07 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's been a little slow in this thread for six days even though a half dozen new people have registered since that time. Don't be shy! Let us know who you are and where you're from.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141481 10/19/99 06:07 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's been a little slow in this thread for six days even though a half dozen new people have registered since that time. Don't be shy! Let us know who you are and where you're from.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141482 10/19/99 06:07 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141483 10/19/99 06:24 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That will bring them in Bob, Blitz them with posts! LOL

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141484 10/20/99 12:15 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Maybe I should offer them a "get out of jail free" card, Todd. Or maybe even a ride on "It's Only Money."

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141485 10/20/99 06:54 PM
Firstmate Offline
We're the "newest" Newbies, number 550. We live in Seattle, are sailors, and have long appreciated our Puget Sound Lighthouses. We live a few blocks from the major Seattle port-of-entry lighthouse, West Point. It's short and stubby, will probably never be a HL, but we love it, anyway.

My husband, the Captain, grew up in North Dakota. Lighthouses? Da-aa! But then he was stationed at Pensacola, where he first "saw the light". I grew up near Chicago and have long loved Chicago Harbor and Grosse Point, IL. Wind Point, WI, is very special - my father did major repairs on it in 1929 and asked if he could bring his fiancée [my mom!] to visit. The light keepers prepared a picnic lunch for my folks to eat in the tower while they watched the sunset! We think my grandfather may have been affiliated with the Bois Blanc Is. Lighthouse around 1914 (or possibly the Lifesaving Service there).
The Captain and I spent our honeymoon on Sanibel Is., so lighthouses have been a long-time ingrained interest for us. We are loving our new hobby of collecting HL's, visiting lighthouses, and being entertained BIG TIME by The HL Forum.

Of course, the checkbook is a little lighter, we've maxed out space for HL displaying in the living room, and I'm talkin' addition to the house - and we're not alone in all that from what I read on The Forum! Love all you guys - ya make us feel like normal HL Wacko's!

(Bob, is "It's Only Money" your boat? We'll take a ride, if it is! Our boat is "Whisper".

------------------

Seattle Sailors

'Bama Boaters
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141486 10/20/99 10:45 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
My last two boats were named "It's Only Money". I didn't know what to name the boat until my wife reminded me everytime I pay for something and it costs much more than I anticipated I've always stated, "It's only money!" And now you know the rest of the story!

I keep the boat in Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. We visit all the islands off the coast including Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cuttyhunk Island, Block Island, and Long Island New York. We also do coastal ports.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141487 11/17/99 05:53 PM
CarolZ Offline
I thought I'd tell my story...how I got addicted to Harbor Lights. I have posted a few notes on the Forum over the past few months but never in "Where are you from?".
I live in a small town in NJ called Harmony where there are no lighthouses. My husband and I have a boat that we dock on the Hiudson River and over the past 2 years have seen all of the lighthouses here from Jeffrey's Hook all the way north to Hudson-Athens. I decided over this past winter that I really wanted to start collecting "something". When I saw a few Harbor Lights, it was love at first sight. I originally told myself I would buy 1 a year and quickly realized that I HAD to have more. In 3 months I have bought 15 of them and have managed to scheme a few more as Christmas presents. I also enjoy visiting lighthouses and plan to spend all my vacation time looking for them. All my family and friends think I need help. But I sure am glad there are others out there like me!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141488 11/17/99 06:04 PM
JeffB Offline
Carol, welcome "Lighthouses Anonymous" ! Unfortunatly, you have an addiction shared by all of us, one with no known cure. Just take 2 HL's, and post to us in the morning! Sounds like you got bitten like quite a few here. Welcome, and keep on posting. You'll be a Wacko in no time!

Jeff
Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141489 11/17/99 06:48 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome CarolZ! I'm glad you shared that information with us. Sounds like you're off to a great start with your HL collection. Isn't it great that they added the Hudson River Series and you keep your boat on the Hudson? I hope you visit often and share more experiences with us.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141490 11/18/99 01:41 PM
CarolZ Offline
Actually, I had BY sign my entire Hudson River series while he was in Long Island on Halloween. I had planned on having him sign only one, Esopus-Meadows, but then when my sister saw everyone with a lot more to be signed, she went for it! I wasn't actually there, but I heard it was a great lecture on the lighthouses of LI.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141491 11/27/99 02:15 AM
S
Skip H. Offline
S
Hi everyone! I am new to collecting anything,started with other misc. lighthouses until i discovered HL's.I only have one piece at this time,just rec'd my membership kit in the mail today.Live on the shore of Lake Erie, near Vermilion,Oh.Took my dealer listing today and went scouting.Hope to meet others in my area who are collectors.

------------------

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141492 11/27/99 01:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome, Skip - glad to have you aboard. And every collection starts with "1".

You'll find lots of collector information on these forums -- and over at the official web site:

www.HarbourLights.com

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141493 11/27/99 02:51 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome to the forums Skip! We are glad to have you here and are looking forward to your participation.

-Todd

Re: Where are you from? (Part 3) #141494 11/27/99 03:35 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome, to the forums Skip. We are always happy to see another "face." And for St. John, My collection statrted with Four. I got Four HL's for christmas, now I have almost 75 pieces.
Skip, just beware of "Wackotosis," Harbour Lights are alot like Lays potato chips, you cann't have just one. Good luck and welcome again!

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 11-27-99).]

Eric

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users