Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13566 02/29/00 08:21 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is a book review for the purposes of advising ANYONE who reads this Forum on how he/she may help in the obtaining of donations towards lighthouse restoration/preservation; at this time it being directed towards Morris Island Lighthouse.

This book has an intriguing title, which your eye at first glance reads as Bacon. But upon closer scrutiny, it says “BEACON AND EGGS.” Read on further here to see how a beacon can relate to eggs; and discover how this book can help us RAISE FUNDS for lighthouse restoration, starting with the Morris Island project.

“Beacon and Eggs” by Dana L. Cadman
Heath Press 1999

ISBN 0-9672993-0-6

Softcover, 7 ½” x 8”, spiral bound; 52 pages, photographs and maps; $12.95 plus S & H

No, this is not a cookbook with a misspelled word, but rather a very useful guide, in a handy size, to
take with you as you visit lighthouses throughout the U.S. This is a book that lists and describes which
lighthouses you can actually stay overnight at; or inns and B & B’s very close by, and the meals that might be included. It should serve as a companion book to lighthouse books that give only the history and facts, but not up-to-date information on the usage of the lighthouses today as places for enthusiasts to spend the night. It is this reviewer’s advice that the book not be used for a drop-in stay, as popularity demands advance reservations to stay in lighthouse keepers’ houses or even these inns in close proximity.

There are 20 such accommodations described in detail in the book; with listings of other nearby lighthouses. A table of contents lists them first by type and then by state. A third page divides most of them into categories of: smoke-free; pet-free; adult-only; and near golf courses.

Each individual chapter briefly tells something about the lighthouse, but then goes on to describe its
grounds and surroundings, such as nature trails for hiking, and historic and cultural sites and sometimes other lighthouses to visit (or have views of) nearby. The book’s main value is in narrowing down, amidst hundreds and hundreds of lighthouses, which ones are open to the public for overnight stays. Every year additional lighthouses are being turned into such B & B’s or hostels, as a way to not only make them accessible to the public but to bring in money to do further restoration and maintenance. More have been opened even since this book was written and will provide material hopefully for a Volume 2 in this series.

The chapter also provides detailed descriptions of the bedroom(s); common room(s); what meals if any come with the price; any special amenities; and what is NOT on grounds such as in a more quaint accommodation that sports gas lights rather than electricity, and no phone. How blissful to escape from the modern world and technology for a day or two! Information is given on where and how to make reservations via phone, mail, or web and e-mail addresses.

The following quoted material from the book comes from two lighthouses which I would particularly love to stay at some day. They go from a metropolitan lighthouse inn with plush amenities to a more rustic stay at a lighthouse on an island ,part of Acadia National Park.

1. East Brother Lighthouse, Marin County, California (on a tiny island separating San Francisco and San Pueblo bays) : “A 10 minute ride by motor launch transports you from the surrounding metropolis to this San Francisco Bay sentinel. Greeted with champagne and hors d ’oeuvres, guests can settle into their period-furnished rooms, then join others for a five course meal. Breakfast is also a treat you won’t want to miss.” There are four guest rooms with rationed shower water .Open year-round, Thursdays through Sunday.

2. The Keeper’s House, Robinson Point Lighthouse, Knox County, Maine (on Isle au Haut, isolated from the coast and reached by the mail boat from Stonington): The boat winds …”through a chain of emerald islands before landing. The remote nature of the island and the frontier amenities at the lighthouse beckon the adventurous traveler who knows how to find gratification in the undeveloped splendor of thick woods and virgin shore.” “The lighthouse is just as it was when built in 1907. No telephones, no electricity, no rush hour traffic, and no crowds. Evening lighting is provided by gas lights, candles, kerosene lanterns, moonbeams, and , occasionally, the northern lights. Large cozy bedrooms are furnished with painted antiques and every room offers an exceptional view of the area. Dinners by candlelight feature fresh native seafood and chicken with a gourmet touch. No red meat is served.” There are five rooms, one in a separate building. All meals included in the room price. Use of bicycle included; 17 miles of hiking trails. Open May 15-October 31.

HOW TO ORDER AND ALSO OBTAIN FUNDS FOR OUR LIGHTHOUSE RESTORATION PROJECT.

Author, Dana Cadman, has offered to donate $4.00 from EACH book that anyone on our HL Forums orders and will send HIS check to the lighthouse project which I have designated. For this period, I have told him the donations should go to Morris Island Lighthouse, as that is the project we are supporting at this time. Orders may come from newbies, wackos, or anyone who logs on and wishes to help support this worthy lighthouse restoration. This expense will not be tax deductible to you, as Dana is the one who is making the actual donation to the lighthouse fund.

Think of gifts you might like to give to friends and relatives who like lighthouses or just traveling. Pass the word on to others to log onto this site or print this out and send to others who might be interested. On page 51 is a section advising other non-profit lighthouse preservation groups of their ability to buy these books in quantities, which must be sent to one same address , to re-sell at their meetings as a fundraiser. We are being given a special break, as Dana is willing to ship a book to you individually and still offer us the $4.00 donation deal.

In order for us to take advantage of this offer, you must enter some extra information on the “special instruction box” within his order form. Please write this in the box: “I would like the $4.00 donation to go to our Forum project which is Morris Island Lighthouse restoration.”

Order on his website at: http://f2p.com e-mail is Info@f2p.com

For any further information on quantity orders for non-profit charity groups, contact Dana Cadman at
Fit to Print, 1071 Kirts Boulevard, Suite 208, Troy, MI 48084-4812 or call l-877-FIT-PRNT (348-7768)

Be sure to look at Dana’s list of other current and upcoming books.

I would appreciate your e-mailing me at this address (up til late April) to let me know if and how many books you ordered, so that I will have some idea of how much of a donation will be going to Morris Island each month and keep you informed on our success on this project. (after late April, please use my NH e-mail address which is ladylightkeeper@webtv.net Thank you

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 02-29-2000).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13567 03/03/00 12:03 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Dana, author of this book, has already e-mailed me to say that a book order came in even before I could send him info on how he could see his review on the forum here. Thank you for being so swift in backing this project.

I thought this would be a good project to fill in with to help Morris Island, until our Wacko pin orders can be taken. Please e-mail me when you order the book so I can track our progress.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

KTF

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13568 03/03/00 04:29 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 10-25-2000).]

Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13569 03/03/00 11:12 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Sean: Thank you kindly for putting up the website address for Morris Island. This may remind everyone of the plight of this lighthouse. Just a reminder, that this is the light which the wackos have voted in as their choice to receive the funds from the wacko pins. But here with Dana Cadman generously contributing $4 on any sale of his book, any of us can just help out a bit more towards Morris's direction.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13570 03/14/00 08:43 PM
LamarB Offline
Bringing this topic back to the top to emphasize how we can help Morris Island by book purchase.

Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13571 03/27/00 11:02 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Spring is here for some, and coming soon for others of you. Are you starting to make plans to visit lighthouses? How about staying overnight in a keeper's house or at least very close by? Please consider adding this book "Beacon and Eggs" to your library. Not only does it have good information on which "lights" you can stay at; but the author has made a generous offer to donate $4 from each book order to the Morris Island preservation group directly. This is just another way to increase the wacko project this year; but is open to non-wackos also. Help keep this message up on top for all eyes to see by posting a reply once in awhile. Otherwise it gets buried at the bottom. Please keep it on this thread so I don't have to re-write it for the next new thread. Many thanks.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13572 03/28/00 12:39 AM
Art Offline
I purchased the book, and it has already arrived here. It's worth the price even without the $4 donation kicker.

I intend to give it as a gift to Mariann and let her choose one to 'get away to'. The only stipulation is that she has to bring me along.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13573 03/28/00 09:56 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I too have purchased and recieved my copy of the book. It livesa up to it's description. Well worth it without any tie in to a donation. That just makes it all the better. The toughest part is deciding which one to stay at. Dennis

Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13574 04/03/00 09:48 PM
D
dcadman Offline
D
I'm glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the book so much! Other than friends and family who've given me some early feedback, this is the first opportunity I've had to hear people do or don't like the book.

I want all of you to know there were five orders in March, so I'll be sending $20 to the Morris Lighthouse Foundation. Assuming the check comes through, we already have our first April order.

------------------
Dana L. Cadman
Fit To Print
http://f2p.com
877-FIT-PRNT (348-7768)

Dana L. Cadman
Fit To Print
http://f2p.com
877-FIT-PRNT (348-7768)
Re: How ANYONE can help Morris Island lighthouse fund #13575 04/04/00 12:19 AM
DeDo Offline
I dropped the check into the box on the way to work this AM. I'm looking forward to receiving the book and using it! It is twice as nice that the author is donating to the Morris Island fund.

Donna

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users