Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where are you from? (Part 4) #134658 11/27/99 03:54 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Oops! I've fallen asleep at the switch! I'm involved in running my high school reunion this weekend and I accidently let the number of posts slip by 50.

I'm extremely pleased to see so many people responding to this thread and I hope all the new people will stop by and share a few words with us all.

So, therefore, ....Where are you from?

Bob

Part I

Part II

Part III

To add links to first three parts of Where are you from?

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 11-27-99).]

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134659 11/27/99 06:15 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome Skip. You will love to visit here, lots of information and a great group of people. Ask anything that you don't understand and enjoy those HLs.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134660 12/04/99 09:06 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Things have been pretty quiet in this thread. If you're new, don't be shy. Leaves us a reply and let us all know who you are and where you're from.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134661 12/04/99 05:34 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome to all the newbies. For the rest of you who have looked, but not posted please do so. Everytime someone begins to put their information in it adds to the value of the forums, and knowledge of our love of HL collecting. I have only been a part of this forum for a few months and have obtained a ton of information that has helped me in my collection. We value your participation.

Rusty

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134662 12/12/99 11:36 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's nice to see that the Collector Forums registered membership is now at 581. This number, slowly but continually, increases each week. Maybe we'll see an even greater increase as people receive computers as gifts during the holiday season.

Come on and join the fun at the Collector Forum. It's fun and it's free!

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134663 12/12/99 03:29 PM
S
sooner Offline
S
I finally got up the nerve to post here on the forum. Have been reading it for awhile and enjoy it very much. I am landlocked in the midwest and have only seen one lighthouse (St. Augie) but there is certainly something about them. I recently began my HL collection so have a long ways to go. My work keeps me away a lot but will join in when I have the opportunity. Hello to all on the forum and keep the info flowing.
Foy

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134664 12/12/99 05:21 PM
D
D'Wanda Offline
D
It is interesting to read the "Where are you from" forum. I live in central Arkansas, Conway, to be exact. No real lighthouses around here and having a hard time finding HLs. A pharmacy in town has recently started selling them, so I immediately ordered Coquille River. Haven't received it yet, but haven't givine up hope. The day after Christmas I'm flying to Oregon to visit my brother who lives very near the Bandon area and will definitely make a "pilgrimage" to the light. Also hope to see the Cape Blanco, Cape Mears and both Heceta lights. I don't know about the Umpqua light. I don't know what the condition of any of them are or if they are even open, but I plan on finding out. I can't wait!

Reading an much earlier posting Derith mentioned she was going to fly over Burrow's Island. I didn't see any further mention of her trip, but would be interested in knowing how it looks now. I saw an aerial photo of the island light station in a lighthouse book, but the former Officer-in-Charge's house is no longer there. That aroused my curiosity since the large two-family house is still there as is the boat house and the light and a few out buildings. So, I was hoping to find an update on how the island looks now, compared to when I lived there 33 years ago.

Our hobbies include anything to do with aviation: flying r/c airplanes, going to airshows, teaching our grandsons to fly r/c, collecting aviation memorabilia and toys, and I, of course, collect Harbour Lights, specifically the Pacific Northwest lights, Oregon in particular, since I grew up there and spent lots of days at the beach. We both work in the aviation industry, I work at an international corporate jet completion/maintenance center in the completion inspection department (I don't inspect anything, I just help do FAA paperwork after the aircraft is completed and ready to deliver). My husband works for a company that does repairs and maintenance on all types of aircraft, but he works in the corporate jet division as Lead Man in the Hawker aircraft department. The company is the one that the President always flies into their facility when he comes to Little Rock.

Grammy
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134665 12/14/99 06:39 PM
K
KevinBit Offline
K
I live just outside Boston, and spend a lot of time on Cape Cod. I got started in the "addiction" through my hobbies of birding and photography. Being down on the water, taking pictures, of course I needed spectacular backgrounds.

I initally found Harbour Lights after getting a few of the lesser quality figures available. When I compared them to the actual lighthouse, I found them lacking. I found the HL web site, and read the forums top to bottom. That convinced me to start purchasing HLs - just for artisitic puposes, you know.

My first was Chatham, and then I joined the society. On a trip to Hyannis, I found a shop that had HLs on sale for 40 to 60% off. Needless to say, I am now at 8 lighthouses, with East Quoddy and Panama Canal on order, and a first name basis with the local dealer. But it's not an addiction, honest.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134666 12/14/99 11:47 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Dear Sooner, D'Wanda and KevinBit,

It's very nice to meet you and I hope you have many enjoyable hours on the forum. You'll find everyone is happy to answer questions and just be a big family. Welcome.

Joanne

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134667 12/15/99 09:35 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
A big HELLO and Welcome to the forum to all the newbies!!!

Glad to see new people joining

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134668 12/15/99 07:41 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
That convinced me to start purchasing HLs - just for artisitic puposes, you know.

When I started, mine were for medicinal purposes.

A BIG welcome to all Newbies. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134669 12/15/99 11:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me add my hello to all you new kids on the block. It is always great meeting other HL collectors. I really find it interesting finding out why and how you got started on this great adventure with HLs.

D'Wanda, I sent you a message and I need you to let me know if you got it. I have had some trouble with my email lately.

Welcome all....
Derith

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134670 12/16/99 06:45 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's great to hear from some new contributors. See how easy it is? You're off to a good start now...don't stop here! There are a lot more threads that need your attention!

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134671 12/17/99 01:07 PM
JeffB Offline
Welcome to all the Newbies. I know you'll have a great time, and y'all will be Wackos before you know it!

Jeff
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134672 12/23/99 03:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just joined the forum tonight (12/22). I'm from "THE COLONY, Texas). There was already a place named "COLONY" so they added the "THE" in front of it. We are just north of Dallas. I started colecting HL last spring and I have gotten carried away. I officially visited my first lighthouse as a HL collector earlier this month by going to see the Point Bolivar LH just east of Galveston. It was beautiful and you can get very close. I got some excellent photos. Although I was raised in the northeast, the only other lighthouse I can remember ever visiting was the one on the southern tip of the island of COZUMEL and I DID get to climb that one. I'm really enjoying my new hobby & have a close friend ho collects as well but I'm really in a bing for a suitable display case. I plan to use the forum to help me with this and other mistifying questions I have about HL!! Regards!

------------------
JB

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134673 12/23/99 09:35 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Welcome to the forum JB!!!

The best web site on the planet!!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134674 12/23/99 11:21 AM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Welcome to the forum JB. You've just given yourself a wonderful holiday present. The forum is a great deal of fun and you won't find a more supportive, helpful group of people anywhere.

Joanne

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134675 12/23/99 03:45 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
JB
Always happy to see another collector join us. As my grandfather would say "Pull up a chair and sit a spell." You'll find anything you want to know about our shared sickness, except a cure! (LOL) Again welcom to the forums JB

Eric
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134676 12/23/99 04:57 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
...except a cure!

We've found the cure: more HL.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134677 12/23/99 10:26 PM
drwhok9 Offline
Hi JUL

Welcome to the Wacko World of Wonderful Harbour Lights collectors. This is a great time to join as you will get to hear all about the new additions everyone receives for the Holidays.

If you use the search feature near the top of the page and search for 'cabinets' or 'curios' you will find many useful discussions on this subject. Many of us have the same problem as you and there are just as many solutions.

I hope you and yours have a Great Holiday Season.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134678 12/27/99 05:00 PM
Art Offline
Quote:
We've found the cure: more HL.

That would be a "fix", Lamar, not a "cure".

-Art
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134679 12/27/99 11:56 PM
LamarB Offline
Oh.

Sure seems like a cure for a while.

I always wondered why it came back after some period of time.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134680 12/29/99 01:00 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When my wife gave me our first HL on our first wedding anniversary in 1997, we aid we would just pick one up once and awhile. However, it triggered the HL addiction in me. Since that
day in March of 1997, we have gotten all but 6 of the LEs. We have all the GLOWS, Society, Event, and Xmas pieces. My wife even got the Bill Younger statue and HL watch at the Providence Reunion. Needless to say, we both are hooked. Now if we only had room enough to display all of them.

Randy

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134681 12/30/99 03:24 PM
JeffB Offline
Hi JB. I'm not far from you. I live in Allen and work in Plano. Welcome to the Forums, you'll have a good time.

Jeff
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134682 12/30/99 04:46 PM
Marzipan Offline
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year to you all. I've been stopping by often and enjoying all the messages on the boards. I decided to register and be among the first 600 registered users. I'm far behind everyone in my HL collection. My only two were Christmas gifts this year (which I hinted for loudly and often!!). We (my husband and I, although I am the wacko) decided to collect only those we have visited, so our extensive collection of two consists of Point Judith and Old Field Point both of which we saw this summer. We didn't know that Old Field Light was closed to the public when we entered the grounds to look around and take a few pictures. Didn't notice any "No Tresspassing" signs, just saw an open gate. Only found out we broke the law after returning home and scanning the LongIslandLighthouses.com page. Oops -- we'll do our homework next time.

------------------
~Dale

~Dale Anne
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134683 12/30/99 07:27 PM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Welcome to all the new kids on the block, May I extend to you a Happy New Year and Good Luck in your HL Hunts.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134684 12/30/99 11:05 PM
E
easy Offline
E
Happy New Year from a newbie! I am a State Marine Patrolman from the mid-west and have been actively collecting HL's for about 2 years. My wife and I took our first lighthouse trip to Va and the outer banks last summer. We also bought a computer a month ago, so here I am. See Ya!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134685 01/07/00 01:06 AM
N
NiagaraLady Offline
N
Welcome all - soon you will be HL "hooked" and all your friends and relatives will give
you lighthouses gifts for Xmas

Received: 4 Lighthouse Calendars
1 Lighthouse Blanket
1 Lighthouse CD rack
2 Lighthouse candles
1 Lighthouse waterfall
4 Lighthouse coffeemugs
2 Lighthouse ornaments
1 Lighthouse sweatshirt
2 HARBOUR LIGHTS (Panama Canal
and Selkirk)

and on the 6th day of January, my co-worker
gave to me - 1 used 1999 Lighthouse calendar!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134686 01/17/00 10:27 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Let me welcome all the new members since I've been absent from the forums. It will take me a while keep everyone straight. Harbour Lights collectors are a great bunch of folks even if we are a little wacky.

Once again, WELCOME to Wacko Land.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134687 01/29/00 03:11 AM
Medicman Offline
Richard & Cindy Danhauer
Henderson, KY
Last summer the wife wanted to redecorate the bedroom in lighthouses. I wasn't too wild about the idea but I gave in. We saw some at a local gift shop. Saw right off that HL was the better quality so I bought her Cape Hatteras #401 and joined her up for the Society. We vacationed on Hilton Head that summer and saw our first lighthouse which was Sea Pines. Cindy was upset it wasn't a "real" one. But she quickly forgot about that the next day after seeing Tybee Island and Cockspur. Driving North, we saw Hunting Island, Morris Island, and Sulivan's. It was a very nice "lighthouse" vacation. Add in the round of golf with my son and the shark fishing with the whole family made it complete!
Since then we have added to our collection which now is 15 (and proud of em). And we are anxious for May to get here for our Hatteras trip which we have plans to see C.Lookout, Ocracoke, C.Hatteras, Bill's signing, Bodie, Currituck, and then on the way back home, Cape Henry and Old Point Comfort in VA.
Can't wait !!! Looking forward to meeting folks there... Saints, Wackos, and other Newbies.

[This message has been edited by Medicman (edited 01-29-2000).]

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134688 01/29/00 11:55 AM
L
la2atl Offline
L
Hello everyone. I just registered today. I guess that makes me the newest of the newbies. Anyway I've been collecting HL now for only about a month and a half and Im already addicted and cant stop buying them. I currently live in the Atlanta GA area and just got back from visiting my second lighthouse in St. Augustine. Man, that was neat. I was able to climb to the top and get some great pictures. The only other lighthouse that I've seen is Alcatraz and thats been a long time since. My wife and I wanted to see in person all the lighthouses that we collected from HL but in that 1 1/2 months we already have some 12 pieces. I guess were in for the long haul. Look forward to all the interesting info in the forums.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134689 01/29/00 02:04 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome la2atl!

You have came to the right place. Harbour Lights are addictive and all of us here are certainly addicted.

Glad to have you aboard!

-Todd

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134690 01/29/00 02:19 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome La2atl. You've come to the right place to find support for you HL sickness, however there is no cure. The only known treatment is a steady supply of Hl sculptures, and a steady dose of the forms.
Don't forget that there are a few great lighhouses in GA. Tybee Island just East of Savanah. Little Cockspur, which is just about a mile west of Tybee. St Simmons light, near Brunswick. And finally the hard to reach, but recently restored Sapelo Island Light on Sapelo Island.

Welcome again.

Don't forget to mark your calander for May 4-7 for the Atlanta Collectibles Exposition. If you go you will get to meet some of the great people who bring us Harbour Lights, including founder Bill Younger. Bill is always an interesting person to talk to. Or just hang around and isten to some of his "lighthousing" adventures.

Eric
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134691 01/29/00 02:54 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome La2atl - glad you found us and joined the forums. We look forward to reading your comments on these Forums.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134692 01/29/00 10:20 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Welcome to the HL Forum, la2atl.

At the moment, I am in Roswell, visiting my daughter and grandtwins. Home is Tampa area.

You have certainly joined a terrific group of HL collectors. HLs are addictive for sure and we will help spur you on.

Derith

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134693 01/29/00 10:46 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hello la2atl

I'm glad you have joined the forum. It's a great group of people who have enough knowledge on lighthouses to answer just about any question. I learn something new here just about everyday.

Joanne

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134694 01/30/00 03:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
la2atl- Does this indicate a transplant from LA to Atlanta? Welcome to the forums. Lots to learn from a lot of good folks, so hang on!

Dave

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134695 02/05/00 01:29 AM
L
Ladybear Offline
L
Finally getting around to joining the forum...been hopping in and out checking post for a while now. I've learned quite a bit about Harbour Lights in the past couple of years...even have a few of my own.

I live on the Outer Banks of NC, so I get to see lighthouses any time I want to. I am sure I will be stopping in here again and again. BTW, hope you are having a great visit with your daughter and grandtwins, Derith. *s*

Charlene

Charlene
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134696 02/05/00 01:43 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi there Charlene,

It's great to have you join us on the Forum.

I am looking for an OE of Coquille. Know where I can get one?

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Derith

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134697 02/05/00 02:50 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Ladybear - Now you know a lot of us are headed your way over Memorial Day weekend. So how about having us all over for donuts and coffee??

Welcome aboard!

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 02-04-2000).]

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134698 02/06/00 02:38 PM
GerryBu Offline
Have been reading these forums for a while and just got around to registering. My wife and I live in Colorado, (not many lighthouses), but have visited a few of them in Florida and the Outer Banks. I really enjoy these forums and learn a lot from them. I have been collecting Harbour Lights for about two years.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134699 02/06/00 03:28 PM
easya Offline
GerryBu, Welcome to the Forum!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134700 02/06/00 03:37 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Welcome Gerrybu and Ladybear.

So glad you decided to join the forum. You'll be very happy that you did. This is a great group of people, more like family actually.

Joanne

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134701 02/06/00 06:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome Gerry Bu - glad to have you among the 'posters'. Pipe right in and provide your comments or ask questions.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134702 02/06/00 11:22 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome to the latest folks to join us at the Collector Forums. It's always great to meet and make new friends! I hope you'll visit us often.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134703 02/10/00 07:57 PM
L
la2atl Offline
L
Hi Dave H.
Well your exactly right. A transplant I am. LA to Atlanta. You are the first person to pick up on that. And are you kidding me....The new Harbour Lights "Liberty" Piece is already retired? I have not even got close enough to smell one. Hope everyones fine. Collect On!

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134704 02/10/00 08:38 PM
LamarB Offline
Welcome to all the new registered members. I look forward to reading your posts. These Fora are inhabited by a great bunch of beople with an enormous amount of HL knowledge and opinion. Feel free to ask questions and share your opinions and insights, too.

In case you feel a little shy and/or you're embarrassed to ask a "dumb" question, remember there are no dumb questions; there are only questions to which you don't know the answer, yet.

So, just jump in here.

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134705 02/19/00 07:28 PM
Brent Offline
I'm from Martinsville, Virgina which is located at the southern border near North Carolina. I'm origionally from Michigan...and thats where I first developed a love for the "Lights". Here, in Martinsville I'm a good 5 hours from any Light which causes "problems" from time to time....LOL! But, we manage to get to the coast about 2 or 3 times a year. I really enjoy this site alot....and its good to know that I'm in "good company" with other Lighthouse "nuts" like myself. ....B

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134706 02/19/00 10:23 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome to the Forums Brent!

We are glad you're here. You are off to a good start too. Thanks for you insights and posts so far. I am looking forward to more.

There is a wealth of information here, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

-Todd

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134707 02/20/00 10:15 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome..Brent! It's great to have new people joining the group of Harbour Light Collectors. As you well know, there is a wealth of information to be found at this site. I look forward to hearing from you many times at this site.

Bob

Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134708 02/20/00 02:33 PM
RFoster Offline
It's nice to hear from new people in these Forums.

GerryBu, I have a step-sister in Steamboat Springs. You guys have some beautiful country in Colorado. Which lighthouses did you visit in FL?

Ladybear (Charlene) you are fortunate to live in the outerbanks. MJ and I have wanted to visit the lighthouses of the Outer Banks for years, but have not been able to find the time (when we have the money) or the money (when we have the time).

la2atl and Brent, I'm looking forward to hearing about lighthouses from your areas too, as well as your experiences in collecting Harbour Lights.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134709 02/20/00 10:15 PM
J
jimirwin Offline
J
When I posted my hello the first time I recieved many warm responses. I have neglected to do so to other new members, so to all of you that I have missed, HELLO, and you have my Aplogy in writing, right here. To those who answere and welcome new members, I say thank you, I know how it feels to be welcomed by this group.

------------------
JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

JIM "POPZ" IRWIN
Re: Where are you from? (Part 4) #134710 02/21/00 01:13 AM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the warm responces. I really feel like I'm part of a wonderful family of Lighthouse & Harbour Lights Lovers, who are truly some of the finest folks in the world!!!

BRENT

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users