Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It's Welcome Weekend! #133336 04/09/99 10:43 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome! If you're reading this you have managed to stumble into one of the greatest forums on the web. If this is your first visit, let me be the first to welcome you to the forum attached to a fantastic site about one of the greatest collectibles in the world, Harbour Lights.

Browse through the forum and enjoy the friendly atmosphere of interaction with the Harbour Lights Family of Friends. Take a moment to register which will give you the ability to post new topics and leave replies to current ones. Don't miss out...it's fun! It's free! It's fantastic!

Bob M.

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133337 04/10/99 01:13 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Just a word of caution.
If at first you don't understand it, be patient. These people have been at it for years and there are some things (insider jokes?) that will probably make no sense (or nonsense). Just stick with it. Eventually it will all start to sink in. If you don't know or understand something, don't be afraid to ask. Before you know it you will be out of the "newbie" (a term of endearment) class and into the" wacko" (an earned diploma) catagory.

It's entertaining, informative, and less time comsuming as you start to catch up (Unless our "Newbie" Cruise Director Bob gets dancing fingers again and overflows the data bank - Bob, we only have several million gigabytes ).

Seriously folks, if you're into Harbour Lights collecting (or just wonder what it's all about). If you just love lighthouse and couldn't give a hoot about those little replicas. If you'd like to share experiences with others. There's no finer place to be.

A young feller who for some reason is known as:
The Ancient Mariner

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133338 04/10/99 01:26 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
As we all know, it is hard to talk a trooper out of giving you a ticket, and it's hard to keep Bob from his duties as Cruise Director.
However, in this case he is right, this is the greatest set of forums on the web. Most of the people here are just a little nuts. Some of us are a lot nuts and have risen to wacko status. But the thing that keeps us together is our love of lighthouses in general and Harbour Lights in paticular. On this site you will find a great deal of information and a large number of great people who will help you in a lot of ways. Just ask a question and watch the ERT. Look around, have a great time, and be aware that the virus is catching-it's hard to buy just one!
Jim
Johnson

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133339 04/10/99 01:28 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to all newcommers! I am new both to collecting and to the forums. I can tell you that I was made to feel "at home" with my very first post. You will not find friendlier, more helpful people anywhere. We'd love to hear your collecting and lighthouse visiting experiences. Interacting with fellow collectors has made the "HL Experience" so much more enjoyable!

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133340 04/10/99 01:33 AM
Art Offline
Please, please, PLEASE!!! If you haven't yet registered, do so now. Let's keep Moderator Bob from needing to hold another membership drive. If he loads down these fora with PSAs again, we may have to kill him.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133341 04/10/99 02:14 AM
LamarB Offline
Welcome all to the Harbour Lights Fora.

What a friendly place, what an interesting place.

Read all about Newbies and Wackos in the Fora.

About GLOWs and LE's and REXA's and REXM's in the Fora. If you don't know what these terms mean you can search or browse to see.

Learn about Seans' pet beaver currently in DC raising cain with the cherry trees. Read about Bill's brother Bob and his special relationship with trees.

Maybe everything you've ever wondered about HL is on this web site, masterfully designed and maintained by St. John of the Internet.

But beware, it's addicting; once inside you may never want to leave.

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133342 04/10/99 03:58 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
For goodness sake, if I saw all these people lining up to coax me into their side show tents, telling me how friendly they are and how addicting it can be, I'd wonder if I'd stumbled into a sales convention of real estate people and latte vendors. If you are actually a newcomer, have enough smarts and money to own a computer, collect lighthouse models, and have read this far, don't worry, its not always this schmaltzy. It seems to be a phase we're going through.

And if you are planning a driving trip through Massachusetts, I suggest sticking a lighthouse model to your dashboard like a plastic Jesus. I hear it works better than a Valentine-1.

Smurfily yours from the forum's dark underbelly,
__
/im

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133343 04/10/99 06:16 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome to the "Forum Experience"

As has been said many times before, this is THE site for everything Harbour Lights, and more! Everyone here is always willing to lend a helping hand and to make you feel at home.

So sit back and enjoy the ride. Once you feel comfortable with how things work, jump right in and start posting.

Again, Welcome from the forum even lower than the dark underbelly of the FSB.

Kicking back with "Nothing to Do"

-Todd

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133344 04/10/99 10:57 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
With now over 7,150 messages on these forums, you've got to have a plan if you're don't want to get overwhelmed.

Here's my suggestion. First click on that "Today's Messages" link at the top of the listing of Forums. What you'll next see is a list of threads from various forums and the most recent addition is at the bottom of each thread. But since you're new, you can read the whole thread (or decide it's not for you and click on the browser's BACK button. This will give you a feel for what's 'hot' on the Forums now. Take note of which forum each message is in and take that into account as you read the messages.

From the Forum listing page, you'll note that some forums have 1,656 messages or another has 45, etc. But when you click on that forum, perhaps only 23 threads are listed. That's because the default for reviewing messages is 30 days. If you want to see more and older messages, click on that "Show Topics From Last 30 Days" and change it to one of the longer choices (like "Show Topics From Last Year". Then click on the gray GO button and more threads will appear.

Some Forums were added recently and there may be no messages over 30 days old. Others have been around for over a year.

Read the Forum and the threads in that forum that interest you. Don't be concerned about reading them all. There will NOT be a test later.

If a subject interests you and you can't figure out what lingo someone is using, click on the SEARCH link at the top of each thread listing.

Don't be overwhelmed, And don't spend the time you should be with your family reading these messages!! (You can always print them out and read them at work!)

John

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133345 04/10/99 11:30 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for the advice, John. As Meatloaf said, "You took the words right out of my mouth..."

All "newbies" should look for the messages left by John Chidester and make sure you check them out. They are extremely informative.

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133346 04/11/99 01:30 AM
S
sidd Offline
S
Welcome newbies (that is a enduring term on this site). We are glad you joined us and hope you will register because we would like
to hear from you. This site is for fun,
information and we are a family because of
our love of lights. Remember there is no dumb question, comment--and alot you won't
understand but ask. We learn things from
everybody.
SO WELCOME, new HLers (Harbour Light)

------------------
Sidd

[This message has been edited by sidd (edited 04-10-99).]

Sidd
Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133347 04/11/99 02:52 AM
JoAnn Offline
From one Newbie to another-WELCOME Sometimes a weird or should I say a wacko site,but always interesting & informative!

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133348 04/11/99 05:40 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote" 7150 entries. Did you subtract BOB's recruitment drive? Tell us BOB are you reaching for Saint Hood. LOLROF.

Jake Toering

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133349 04/11/99 06:43 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Jake, ... Just adding another log to the fire. We need to heat this place up a little.

Interaction makes it happen!

Bob

Re: It's Welcome Weekend! #133350 04/12/99 12:25 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
So that's what you mean when you say "log on".
I was wondering Bob. Who said this fora was not informative?

Since this is a great thread for all newcomers to read, I thought I'd bring it back up to the top. It would be nice if some of our newer members come back here after reading some of the other posts and tell everyone (those of us who have been around forever and those of you who are new to all of this) your impressions.
What you think of the site!
Do you read everything
Or just what is of top interest.
What did you learn about getting around in the fora
etc.

Most of us take all of this for granted. But after you been gone for more than a couple of days, the number of posts are amazing. I can only imagine what it is like to someone who has never been here before.

Fred AKA
The Ancient Mariner
and I was a young tad when I started.

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl (edited 04-20-99).]

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users