cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Welcome Student Mike #132741 10/10/03 03:45 PM
Ron Offline OP
OP Offline
Student Mike, Let me be the Firt person from the First state, to welcome you to the Fourms. Enjoy.

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132742 10/10/03 03:48 PM
Shirin Offline
Welcome aboard!

Shirin
Re: Welcome Student Mike #132743 10/10/03 03:58 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome Student Mike!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Welcome Student Mike #132744 10/10/03 04:28 PM
S
student Mike Offline
S
Hi, thanks for the quick welcome replies. You sure know how to make a new member feel right at home!

My stay may be short-lived since I found this forum as part of my research for a marketing plan I'm writing about HL lighthouses. It's due in a week, so I'm trying to get some quick insight into the minds and buying criteria for HL products compared to other collectibles.

Prior to finding this forum, I sent a somewhat lengthy list of questions to one of the resident gurus, John Chidester. Rather than repeat those questions, I'll wait for a reply from him first, then we can add to the discussion.

However, if you have something you would just love to share about your reason for starting to collect HL or your thoughts about people's buying criteria, please reply at will.

FYI, hello to Bob; I'm originally from N.Attleboro too. In fact the Emerald Square Mall is now where my house used to be.

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132745 10/10/03 07:44 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the Forums. Hopefully we'll grow on you and even after your done you will be back, because you will be HOOKED on Harbour Lights.

Rich
Re: Welcome Student Mike #132746 10/10/03 08:10 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You got me curious, Mike. I remember Duke's Autobody at the corner of Allens Ave and Rte 1, and next door was a foreign car dealer, maybe it was called "Savard's" or something like that. I also remember my former milkman, Al Evans, clearing the trees and brush from that land when they originally thought of building some stores (early to mid 60's) there long before there were any plans to build a super mall at that location.

Did you live on Rte 1 or were you from Allens Ave. I'm still in town and live off of Kelley Blvd.

Well anyways, welcome aboard and I hope you stay a little longer than just doing a project. If you need any further info, don't be afraid to ask here at the forum, or you can email any one of us by clicking the icon above each post.

smile Bob smile

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132747 10/10/03 10:05 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome MIke. The forums are a great place to get info on HL or lighthouses in general. FYI I started to collect HL's when I spotted Beavertail Light at the Emerald Mall (I'm from Bellingham). I fished off Beavertail for many years with my uncle, and had visited there one day. On the way back we stopped at the Emerald Mall and I spotted the HL of Beavertail. Two years later I began to get more until I now have almost 90 of them, including every light HL has made of a New England Lighthouse. New England is my area of focus. Then I get what strikes my fancy!

Good luck on your project, You may want to share the info with us when you're done.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Welcome Student Mike #132748 10/12/03 01:48 AM
S
student Mike Offline
S
Well Bob, I'm impressed. You know your Red Rock Hilll history. Yes, I grew up on Allen Ave, right across the street from the school. Remember when Dukes used to build custom dune buggies and they would have piles of shells out front? Usually I was across the street at the Red Rock Diner stocking up on candy.

I must admit that HL products are seem pretty interesting. I've been collecting Hess Trucks for about 15 years, of course, they only produce one truck a year and it sells for about $15 MSRP so you can imagine that the investment potential is pretty limited. I'm impressed by how well informed the HL collectors are. Are there are channels besides the regional meetings, special Events and chat and newsletters that the collectors use?

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132749 10/12/03 11:50 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike I forwarded your request to Kim Andrews and asked her to either respond or give her permission for me to respond to your questions. I expect I'll hear from her on Monday, but I'm leaving on a trip on Wednesday.

Now that I know you've got a tight deadline, I'll try to get some answers to you later today.

We did a poll here on the Forums sometime back asking how people first learned about HLs and others that asked about collecting reasons, etc.

Some of our past polls may be helpful to you. Here's a link which may provide you with some insight for your paper.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin...=1000&submit=Go

One of these asks how they first learned about Harbour Lights.

Welcome to the Forums.

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132750 10/12/03 04:34 PM
2 Floor U Offline
Hi Mike
Hope you will get hooked like the rest of us. I was opposed to anyone collecting anything! But our last family together was at the Outer Banks where we climbed a lighthouse together. It was a very memorable time for us. The next Christmas my husband bought me my first lighthouse. This was way back early '90's. Then I saw another one and another one. Then I joined the collectors club. So now I have to rotate my collections to enjoy them all. And each new piece gets better and better. I enjoy then all. By the way Harbour Lights are the best! Just ask any of us we will tell you the truth. wink This lead us to do Lighthouse preservation. Hugging a lighthouse is a good thing and give us great pleasure.
Hooked
Cindy and Doyne

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132751 10/13/03 12:35 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forums from Meeeechegan. Glad to have you with us. smile

Dan

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132752 10/13/03 10:34 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
welcome

good friends mean good times
Re: Welcome Student Mike #132753 10/16/03 01:03 AM
S
student Mike Offline
S
Why is it that I always have a smile on my face when I'm finished reading everyone's postings?
laugh
I'm really impressed with the way this group supports each other and communicates in such a positive manner. Many other forums could learn some lessons from you all. THANK YOU!

John, I understand that some of my questions are a bit sensitive from a business perspective so I'll understand if Kim elects not to respond. The link you included to prior polls has been very helpful. Thanks.

Re: Welcome Student Mike #132754 10/16/03 07:41 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Mike, ...When you stumbled on this site, you found some of the most helpful and friendly people in the world. These folks will go out of their way to help perfect strangers out. They are the best on the Net!

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users