Print Thread
Hello from a new member #131460 04/02/02 01:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been "lurking" in the shadows for over a year now and thought it about time I became "legal".
I have learned much and found the forums very interesting - Thanks to all of you.
I'm new to Harbour Lights collecting, but not to lighthouses. I grew up in the shadow of Big Red, and have loved lighthouses ever since.
My other passion is riding my Harleys, so I am able to combine both loves by takeing motorcycle trips to visit lighthouses.
Since getting a Big Red as a birthday present 15 months ago, I have managed to collect all the Michigan lights, a Great Lakes stamp set, all four A/B lightships, the fresnel (anxiously awaiting the two new ones), and several other LE's for a current total of around 80 total - so I quess I'm hooked.
My next goal to collect all of the Great Lakes L/E's
Looking forward to participating in the forums, and hope I can contribute something useful

Re: Hello from a new member #131461 04/02/02 02:12 AM
TexasLights Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Welcome to the forums. You will find a great group of people here! Keep us posted on your Harley/Lighthouse adventures.
Terry

Re: Hello from a new member #131462 04/02/02 02:16 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome to the Forums!

Hey why don't you combine the Harley, traveling and lighthouses this October.

Come to NJ for the Lighthouse Challenge 2002. all the landbased Lighthouses in Nj will be open for the 3rd year. some of these lights are very difficult to get into any other time of the year.

We had a large number of Motorcycle Clubs come out last year for the event. We can always find room for more.

Dennis

Re: Hello from a new member #131463 04/02/02 03:00 AM
beckitex Offline
Welcome! This is a great group of people and I'm glad you've decided to become "legal" and officially join us. A Harley lover, too? They're great...my finances don't allow me to afford one...yet.

-------Becki

Becki smile
Re: Hello from a new member #131464 04/02/02 03:35 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Welcome to the Forums R Stam!

Always great to have another voice here. The greatest group of people anywhere on the net as you already know, and the best site by far.

80 in 15 months does sound like you are indeed a wacko for Harbor Lights. I jumped in with about as much ferver as you did. These little jewels can realy get to you can't they.

You are not to far from Chicago, are you going to the Rosemont Collectors show in June? Many Forumites will be there and the Younger crew will be in the same hotel as the rest of us. Should be a great event.

Harleys and Lighthouses, what a great combination. Sounds like some awsome trips.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Don't hesitate to jump right in and give us a taste of your ideas, thoughts wisdom, or opinions any time. It helps make this site what it is, so post often!

Dale

Re: Hello from a new member #131465 04/02/02 08:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome aboard, R Stam! If you've been lurking in the shadows for awhile, you already know what a great spot this is to visit on the Net.

I'll look forward to seeing future post from you.

Bob

Re: Hello from a new member #131466 04/02/02 10:52 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WELCOME! Another Great Laker!! And from our side of the state!

Enjoy

Mary

Re: Hello from a new member #131467 04/02/02 11:14 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hello and welcome

from South Alabama
Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Hello from a new member #131468 04/02/02 05:16 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Hello R Stam ! Just remember, the posts don`t always have to be useful. Heck, if that were the case, I`d only have 1 or 2 posts. :^)
We enjoy opinions, personal views, jokes, ...well you get the picture.
Feel free to post as often as you want.

terry

Re: Hello from a new member #131469 04/02/02 05:55 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Welcome

Wow 80 lights already and Harley's. Is that plural as in more than one Harley? It is obvious to the casual observer that you are a person of discerning taste and only the best will do in light's and bike's.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: Hello from a new member #131470 04/02/02 08:11 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome to the forums! I'm impressed, 80 lights in 15 months. I've been at it for 5 years and I don't believe I have 80 yet.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Hello from a new member #131471 04/02/02 10:36 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Great to have another Michigan light lover. I must say I could be a LITTLE envious as Ive just about wrapped up getting the SW Mi Lights, let alone all the Mi. ones. Oh well! Welcome aboard!
Bud

Bud
Re: Hello from a new member #131472 04/02/02 10:38 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the Forums from the great State of Florida. It's good to hear from you again, although it's a different format.

Rich

Rich
Re: Hello from a new member #131473 04/02/02 11:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A man after my own heart--Harley's and L/H's.

Welcome to a wonderful group on this Forum.

Happy Lighthousing!!!

Harry

Re: Hello from a new member #131474 04/03/02 12:34 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome from another newbie! I was lurking around for about a year, too. I'm sure you won't regret becoming "legal."

80 lights in 15 months--you must be addicted. I know the feeling. (But I don't have that many.) I just bought Rock of Ages and Whitefish Point on Saturday...

I grew up in Wisconsin and now call Minnesota home. I've never been to your home state, but I'm planning to visit the UP in the fall to start visiting the lights.

Tammy

Re: Hello from a new member #131475 04/03/02 01:49 AM
RFoster Offline
From one "R" to another "R"
Wecome to the Collector Forums!! I'm pleased that you have joined us here and look forward to reading your posts, especially your cycle trips to the lighthouses. You have certainly built quite a collection of Harbour Lights in a very short time.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Hello from a new member #131476 04/03/02 11:52 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Hi R Stam and welcome aboard. We are certainly happy you have finally become "legal." We look forward to hearing more from you here, in the greatest forums on the web.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Hello from a new member #131477 04/03/02 03:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
Welcome to the Forums!

Come to NJ for the Lighthouse Challenge 2002. all the landbased Lighthouses in Nj will be open for the 3rd year. some of these lights are very difficult to get into any other time of the year.

We had a large number of Motorcycle Clubs come out last year for the event. We can always find room for more.

Dennis

Re: Hello from a new member #131478 04/03/02 03:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OPP, sorry I goofed up the reply.
Thanks for the invite to Lighthouse Challage 2002 Wheland. Where can I get more info on this event? That time of year the weather is a little "iffy" for bike travel, but I like to look into the possibility.

QUOTE]Originally posted by wheland:
Welcome to the Forums!

Dennis
[/QUOTE]

Re: Hello from a new member #131479 04/03/02 03:28 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome aboard R Stam!

Great to have another Michigander here in the forums. We look forward to your participation.

-Todd

Re: Hello from a new member #131480 04/03/02 03:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW, what a wonderfull welcome. The rumors are true - this is a GREAT bunch of people. Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

I'm surprised to learn that so many of you are interested in Harleys - I'll be happy to keep you posted on the trips. I'm planning a trip out East this summer, and plan to post a request for suggestions in The Map Room. Each year I also plan and lead a trip called the Nautical Adventure for my Harley Club. Last year we took the S.S. Badger across Lake Michigan, did Dorr county and then followed the lake north up the coastline, across the UP of Mich and back home. This year we are going north up the Lake Huron shore, across the bridge and follow Lake Superior coast for awhile, them drop down to Lake Michigan and follow it east across the UP and south down the Lower Pennisula. Keep you posted.

Wheland - Yes, that is multiple Harleys. One long distance touring bike, and one Hot Rod.

BobM - I've learned a lot from your knowledge and experience - please keep it up.

Tammy Wolfe - thanks for the welcome, and I hope you enjoy your trip to one of the best lighthouse touring areas in the country. I'll leave a post on your topic with some recommendations from my experiences in the UP.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome

R Stam

Re: Hello from a new member #131481 04/03/02 08:39 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome R Stam!

I have always been jealous of someone who at one time or another lives that close to a lighthouse! Make yourself at home here, we're all pretty friendly!

Re: Hello from a new member #131482 04/03/02 09:07 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
R Stam,

Here's the website for NJLHS. It will have updated info on the 2002 Lighthouse Challenge Weekend. No updates yet.
http://njlhs.burlco.org/

Here's the e-mail address to request info, etc.

NJLHS@burlco.org

If you contact me directly off list I can send you some of the info from the last two Challenges after this weekend. I'll be at the Regional and we (NJLHS) are the host Organization and I can get some info then.

Basically it's the 3rd weekend in October every year (as of now) and the NJLHS and the individual Lighthouse Organizations arrange for all 11 land based Lighthouses in NJ to be open for tours on a Sat & Sun from about 8 AM until about 6 PM.

It is very difficult to get into many of these Lighthouses as they are only open for tours on a very limited basis.

The challenge is to get to all 11 over the two days. you are given a sheet with spaces for stamps of each Lighthouse. When you fill in all 11 you get a certificate that you met the challenge and are entered into a contest for some type of artifact, souvenir from one of the Lighthouses.

It's not as easy as it sounds- depending on where you start and end and spend the overnight it can take 400 miles to get to all of them and about 8-10 hours of driving.
It's fun I did the first one as a participant and then voluntered at the second one. I'll be a volunteer again this year.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Re: Hello from a new member #131483 04/04/02 01:33 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome R Stam

We still live in the shawdow of Big Red and also the Grand Haven lights. Yes I would say you are hooked with 80 in 15 months. But so is everyone else on this forum hooked on Harbour Lights.

Have fun with your collection.

2beacons

[This message has been edited by 2beacons (edited 04-03-2002).]

Re: Hello from a new member #131484 04/29/02 10:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi!

Welcome to the forums. I've already seen a bunch of notes from you on the lighthouse photography forum. Hope to see some photos from you there soon too!

Gary
aka lighthouse_photo

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 04-30-2002).]

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users