cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13120 10/30/02 06:12 PM
eskilady Offline OP
OP Offline
When Beaconfollower and I did the NJ Challenge, we heard rumor of a NY challenge - anyone know anything about it? I tried checking the internet and came up empty. I would really like to know about it. Who do I ask?

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13121 10/30/02 10:54 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
To do a NY lighthouse challenge someone would have to (1) come up with some type of NY lighthouse association and (2) decide which area you want to cover.

There is a very strong LI Chapter of the USLHS. They might be able to set up a LI challenge.

I believe there is at least a working type group of lights along the Hudson. However, you would need to boat to several of these lights so that would be quite tricky.

The last choice would be to look at a challenge including the lights of the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario). There is an independent club (Eastern Great Lakes Harbour Lights Collectors) but there is not an organization of lighthouse societies.

Ruled out from the git-go would be lights of the upper Seaway Trail unless you are going to make this a boating challenge.

If there was serious talk of a challenge I think we would know about it by now. Among our members we have one of the Hudson keepers (Mike from Hudson-Athens) as well as LI Bob and the LI Stooges (have to go back a ways for that story).

If I lived in NY and wanted to advocate such a challenge I would talk to the LI Chapter and see if they thought it could be done.

Dave

Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13122 10/31/02 01:09 AM
Shirin Offline
Nothing has come across my email regarding a LI Lighthouse challenge. Being the newsletter editor I often get advanced notice of events for the Long Island Chapter but I've heard nothing other than a Maryland chapter for next year.

shirin

Shirin
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13123 10/31/02 11:22 AM
DMancini Offline
It would be difficult to do a LI Lighthouse Challenge, since the majority of lighthouses are offshore.

You could conceivably do Coney Island, Fire Island, Cedar Island, Montauk Point, Horton Point, Old Field Point, and Eaton's Neck.

But, that would be a heck of a lot of driving to do in a single day. Plus, some of these lighthouses are not "open" to the public.

In the case of Cedar Island, it is about a one mile walk (each way) from Cedar Point County Park across a sandy peninsula out to the lighthouse.

Likely it would require more than a single day to do all of these lighthouses.

Diane
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13124 10/31/02 01:23 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
We've held some offshore cruises that have covered an trip to many lighthouses at a time in the past. Last year we did Execution Rock, Stepping Stone and Sands Point. A Beacons cruise that did Orient Pt, Plum Island, Race Rock, and Long Beach Bar.

But a driving challenge on your own would be difficult but not impossible. (it's been thought of already but we're only in the thinking stages.)As Diane said a land challenge requires many miles, and lots of coordination with different owners/operators/societies/accesses for a specific day.

We're looking at a several lighthouse events for 2003, and I'll post them here as always when they're official.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13125 10/31/02 02:06 PM
DMancini Offline
In the past, the LI Chapter has talked about doing some sort of "road rally," but based on the schedule of events we are currently looking at for 2003, that type of event is not included.

But, as Bob said, we are planning some interesting and exciting events for 2003! And we will be celebrating the first annual Suffolk County Lighthouse Day in March (Suffolk is, after all, America's Lighthouse County!) laugh laugh

I'm sure there are enough of us Long Island lighthouse crazies on this board to keep the rest of you informed about what we have coming up. You can always check out our website (www.LILighthouseSociety.org) or email one of us for more information.

Diane
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13126 10/31/02 05:14 PM
eskilady Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, definately keep me informed!! Beaconfollower and I have every intention of getting to Long Island one of these days to see the lights there. We have been to Lake Ontario and to the Hudson so Long Island is our next step. I would love to take one of the cruises if we can fit it into our schedule so please, put us on your list to remind so maybe we can do it next summer. Thanks for everyone's help.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13127 11/09/02 11:52 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Our events coordinator, Toni-Marie, would love to do an event similar to the NJ challenge, and she has asked a few people about the possibility (that's probably where the rumor came from). From my perspective, two issues come immediately to mind:

1. The nasty phone calls and/or mail from the Village of Old Field when hundreds (or more) of tourists go up and down Old Field Road to see the lighthouse, with some of them inevitably knocking on the lighthouse door looking to get stamps, souvenirs, etc.

2. Similar complaints frpm the Village of Asharoken, assuming the CG would even allow Eaton's Neck to be a part of the challenge.

The inevitable tickets that would arise in both villages would also cause ill will.

Such a challenge is possible, and could be tied into Suffolk County Lighthouse Day (which we expect to evolve into a Long Island Lighthouse Festival), but it won't happen in 2003.

Besides, poor Toni- Marie would freak out if we
added to her workload for next year. wink

Bob Muller

Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13128 11/11/02 01:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's what the Long Island Chapter does have for 2003! Last year's Cruise was great and we only did Execution Rock, Stepping Stones, and Sands Point. May 3, 2003 Nassau Lighthouse Cruise

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13129 11/11/02 03:51 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

The cruise sounds great. I'm going to give getting to LI Lights another try. The track record is not good- only one successful attempt out of 4 tries.

I bought my tickets already.

Dennis

Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13130 11/11/02 06:49 PM
eskilady Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW! The cruise does sound like fun!! I want to come! Where is a good place to stay in the neighborhood - we will want to come down on Friday so we are in time for Saturday morning! Nothing like planning ahead, huh? wink

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: NY Lighthouse Challenge????? #13131 11/11/02 08:08 PM
DeDo Offline
The cruise sounds great! I haven't seen any of the lighthouses other than Stepping Stones. Just printed out the info. A Saturday in early May sounds just right in terms of not having beach traffic! wink

Donna

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 944 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users