Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just for Newbies #130610 04/28/00 04:14 PM
S
Schtuke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey fellow Newbies! I just thought it'd be nice to say welcome to each other. I really gain a lot of insight tuning in to the Wackos, Cruise Directors, and Saints out there. How about you? How long have you been an HL fan? Me, just recently, but I'm continually impressed with the knowledge I gain just "listening" to our fellow (more experienced)fans.

[This message has been edited by Schtuke (edited 04-28-2000).]

Re: Just for Newbies #130611 04/28/00 04:49 PM
kikigl Offline
I'm a Newbie,also!
I have been into Harbour Lights for about a year and a half. I have been interested in lighthouses forever. I am from Maine originally and we have a good supply up there. I now live in Florida and have seen quite a few of the lights here. Looking forward to seeing them all. Kay

Kay
Re: Just for Newbies #130612 04/28/00 05:53 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Hello Schtuke and Kay! I am from Wisconsin. I have been a member of the Harbour Lights Collector Club for the last three years, but I just joined this forum this month. I became very interested in lighthouses during the last 8 years when I started traveling around the Great Lakes Region. I been interested in historical places much longer than that. I really enjoy taking a vacation exploring lighthouses. HL are a good way of extending that pleasure of visiting the actual lighthouse.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Just for Newbies #130613 04/28/00 06:32 PM
S
Schtuke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey you two! thanks for responding. Kikigl, I've been to Florida a couple times. Beautiful. I actually saw Sanibel once. It was really cool.
Suzanne, I've been to Michigan once. Saw Grand Haven. Another keeper. you two are in two great lighthouse states alright!

[This message has been edited by Schtuke (edited 04-28-2000).]

Re: Just for Newbies #130614 04/28/00 09:16 PM
kikigl Offline
Hi Suzanne,
I agree with you about lighthouse vacations! What's a vacation without lighthouses?
One of the times that I was in Maine last summer, I took a day cruise out of Camden. It was on the Lively Lady 11 and we were out all day, complete with a picnic lunch. I would highly recommend this if you are ever in Maine. We went out five and a half miles and saw seven lighthouses. They got in close enough so that we got really good pictures. I plan to go back this year and go on a different one.
Also if you should go to Maine be sure to visit Lighthouse Depot. It's the largest lighthouse store in the world.
Kay

Kay
Re: Just for Newbies #130615 04/28/00 10:06 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I would love to visit Maine lighthouses! My brother lives in New Hampshire and I have been on a whale watch cruise out of Portsmouth with him. We went past Whaleback and Isle of Shoals Lighthouses. The area is very beautiful. I am collecting information on lighthouses in Maine, but don't really know where to start if I planned a trip. Is there a good area to start with? So many lighthouses are off shore. I get Lighthouse Depot's catalog, but I hear they have much more merchandise in the store. I am eyeing a map of Maine Lighthouses at my local lighthouse gift store. I already have a book on Maine lighthouses and just bought a video tour of Maine Lighthouses. I will have to check out where Camden is.

Schtuke - I have visited most of the lighthouses on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior that one can drive to and a few that are off shore. Grand Haven is nice! Did you visit White Lake, Holland Harbor, Big Sable, and Point Betsie?

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Just for Newbies #130616 04/29/00 01:37 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Suzanne,
Go to the Map Room sub heading under Lighthouses (about 2/3 of the way down the list of forums. In the upper right hand section of the page is a pull down pick list that says "show topics from....." - pull down the list and select "from the past year". Browse the list and read the threads. If you still want more, post a new topic and ask your questions. Tell folks what type of info you are looking for and I bet you'll get plenty of answers.

Welcome to the forums to you, Schtuke, and kikigl. We'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Dave

Re: Just for Newbies #130617 04/29/00 01:11 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
MY NAME IS TERRY AND I..... AM...... A......NEWBIE . IS THIS WHERE I SIGN ON FOR THE 50+ STEP PROGRAM? I STARTED MY HL ADDICTION ON CHRISTMAS OF 99. THAT WAS BACK WHEN I HAD SPENDING CABBAGE AND THE SKY WAS JUST A BLUE BLUR. I, AS YOU CAN TELL, NEED PLENTY OF HELP AND SUPPORT FROM MY FELLOW FORUM PEERS.

[This message has been edited by TERRY BARFIELD (edited 04-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TERRY BARFIELD (edited 04-29-2000).]

Re: Just for Newbies #130618 04/29/00 01:14 PM
kikigl Offline
Suzanne,

The map of Maine lighthouses is really good. I have one and it has directions that are pretty easy to follow to get to the lighthouses.

Kay

Kay
Re: Just for Newbies #130619 04/30/00 04:02 AM
S
Schtuke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Terry, Your location states, "yes all three." What state is that in? Welcome to the forum.

Re: Just for Newbies #130620 04/30/00 10:49 AM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Schtuke:
Terry, Your location states, "yes all three." What state is that in? Welcome to the forum.

HI FELLOW NEWBIE,I`M IN CONCORD,N.C.-I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE CUTE. I THINK I`LL GO BACK AND CHANGE IT.

Re: Just for Newbies #130621 04/30/00 07:52 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Dave - Thanks for the tips on where to find information on lighthousing in Maine!

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Just for Newbies #130622 05/04/00 06:09 PM
S
Snowluver Offline
S
Hello Everyone,

I am another newbie. I have always enjoyed light houses but until the last couple of years I would never go out of my way to visit one. Since I started collecting HL's last summer I now seen to plan my trips around lighthouse. I was in Michigan the past several winters on snowmobile trips. I visited quite a few on Lakes Michigan and Superior by snowmobile on those trips. I visited others, that are not accessable by snowmobile, by car while there.

About 5 years ago, before I was so interested in Lighthouse, I was in northern Wisconsin on a snowmobile trip. It was an extremely cold winter and Lake Superior was frozen solid. Some of the guys in my group actually rode their snowmobiles to a couple of offshore lighthouses. I thought they were crazy at the time but now I wish I had gone along.

This summer I plan on visiting the Outer Banks over Memorial Weekend and attending the
ceremonies and signing at Cape Hatteras on the 27th. I also have a Tarpon fishing trip to Boca Grande in June so I plan on visiting that one also. Hope to get to Cape Cod later in the summer and catch some of those also.

I am sure glad that my wife enjoys them also!

Jim Thomas

Re: Just for Newbies #130623 05/05/00 01:47 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Welcome Snowluver!
Lake Superior lighthouses on a frozen lake would be a wonderful sight! You will just have to go back and see them sometime. You are so lucky to have a supportive spouse! It is wonderful when one can explore lighthouses with someone they enjoy being with! Sounds like you have the lighthouse fever. Have fun on your trips!

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Just for Newbies #130624 05/05/00 12:44 PM
S
Snowluver Offline
S
Hi Suzzanne,

I see a lot of lighthouses boating on the Chesapeake in the summertime. But visiting them in the wintertime is an altogether different feeling. Everything is so quiet and beautiful when covered with ice and snow. I think the most memorable one was Whitefish Point this past winter. The place was totally deserted with awsome amounts of snow all over. The only negative was that the shipwreck museum was closed for the winter.
Guess I will have to go back in the summer to see that!

Jim

Re: Just for Newbies #130625 05/05/00 07:13 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Sounds awesome! Last time I was at Whitefish point it was too late in the day for the museum to be open, but it was pretty to see the sunset there. I have been to the museum before, but every year they are adding to it and fixing up more buildings. That just means I have to visit again. I haven't ventured "Up North" in the winter yet. The pictures of ice on lighthouses makes me want to go, just too busy in the winter. I read an article in Lake Superior Magazine about exploring around the Apostle Islands in the winter. It told how one can walk out to the snow caves on the Lake. It sounded real neat!

I have never been to Chesapeake. Having a boat really helps when it comes to exploring lighthouses!

Suzanne Murphy

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,260 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users