Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
technical information #129501 01/28/04 04:34 PM
K
KLD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I apologize if this is not the right website to ask this question, as I realize that this is a collector's site, but I couldn't find any other open forums on lighthouse discussions.

I looking for information that tells how a lighthouse works: how it guides the ships in and how it works in conjunction with a front range beacon. I've searched all over the web, but I've not been able to find anything.

Can anyone provide any direction?
Thank you,
KLD

Re: technical information #129502 02/02/04 03:12 PM
J
jaxbeacon Offline
J
hey, i found a book at "barns and noble" book store entitled "anatomy of a lighthouse". i believe this may be what your looking for! you could also try your search engine by just typing in "anatomy of a lighthouse"

russ
Re: technical information #129503 02/02/04 03:33 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome KLD - you've posted in the right place. We love lighthouses as well as collect them.

The "Anatomy Of A Lighthouse" book is a good source. But you asked specifically about a Front Range light.

In some cases, two lighthouses were used, one was farther back and higher (above the water level) and the other is closer to the water line and lower (above the water level.)

The two lights were positioned in such a way that from the water, when you lined the lights one above the other, you were lined up to make a safe passage into port. If you saw the upper light to the left of the lower light, you needed to steer to starboard to align them.

Both lights were generally operated and maintained by the same lighthousekeeper in the old days.

An example in Georgia are the Sapelo Island lights.

Here\'s a good description of how the Doubling Point Range Lights in Maine are used to navigate the Kennebec River. (P.S. Watch our for the Fog Signal!)

Re: technical information #129504 02/02/04 09:23 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome to the forums. Above are two great examles of the help one can find on the forums. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, as they say.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: technical information #129505 02/02/04 11:47 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
The books mentioned above are excellent resources, along with many other books. However, one of the best ways that I found out about the function of lighthouse, channel markers, and other navigational aids was to take trips on the water with someone who is not only willing to talk about how they work, but show you examples. Such things as how a front range light aligns with a rear range light, and how each lighthouse has it's own unique signature from the water persepective is an eye opening experience.

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users