Bill Younger

Date: Sun. November 21, 1999
Dealer: Accents & Gifts
Phone: (972) 316-0064
Time: 1-3pm

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 11-11-99).]

Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128789 11/11/99 01:43 PM
JeffB Offline
The address for this should read as 2401 S. Stemmons. It is in the Vista Ridge shopping center. Here's the map link, hopefully this will work.

http://maps.expedia.com/QMResults.asp?Region=244&street=2401+S+Stemmons+Fwy&city=Lewisville& state=TX&zip=75067&place=&A=16&Lat=33.00716 0&Long= -96.971997&Tab=1&L=USA0409

------------------
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 11-11-99).]

Jeff
Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128790 11/11/99 06:33 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the correction Jeff. I was close. Corrected your map link, now it should be working.

Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128791 11/23/99 02:11 PM
JeffB Offline
What I looked forward to for so long, turned out to be better then even I imagined! The whole weekend turned into a lot of surprises, and ended up being an early Christmas! This is going to be one of my longer ones, so please bear with me. The excitement still flows!

Sunday morning, my wife and I headed out to the mall to meet Bill Younger. Heeding Joannes advice, I planned to get there about an hour early. As it was, we got there about 45 minutes early, and that was fine. Texans start their days slow. As we walked through the mall towards Accents and Gifts, I spotted Bill walking the other way, along with the area rep. Guess he had some last minute shopping to do. I pointed him out to my wife, and she said I was behaving like a kid. Oh well!

They had everything setup outside of the store, in the mall itself. They had 3 tables set up with various HL's for sale, and one table for Bill, along with various decorations on it. We were there early enough, that we were 3rd in line. So far, everything was going good. I was greeted by one of the store owners, and asked if I had ordered the event piece. I gave her my recipt, and she told me to wait there, she would get it for me. She soon returned with Kilauea, and a door prize drawing coupon, and a ticket to have 2 pieces signed. Well, I only had the one with me! My darling wife said we needed to take care of that, and went over and bought the Panama Canal set right there! Is there any doubt why I married that woman? Well, for buying that set, they ent and gave her two more coupons for the door prize drawing. We filled out all three, and dropped them in the box.

About this time, Bill returned from his shopping spree, and was itching to get started! The first thing he did was make them remove all the decorations from his table. He wanted to make sure he had room to sign! He then began just talking to us while they cleaned up around him, and also set up a table to pre order Liberty.

By 1 o'clock, the signing began. It was great being at the front of the line, because you were still part of the conversations going on. At this time, it was still a fairly small turn out, although it did pick up later. This was good, because everything could be kept at a laid back pace. We never felt rushed. Also, Bill didn't keep to the 2 HL rule. If you brought 100, he signed 100!

Once I was up at the table, Bill greeted me and Mary as if he knew us his entire life. He then proceeded to give me a hard time. Me, of all people! He told me if I had never been to the Panama Canal, I wasn't allowed to own it. Tol him too late, I had bought it! He said then he wouldn't sign it (with a big smile on his face!) Mary told him her brother had been through it with the Navy, so he signed it for her! He then proceeded to tell me if I didn't take Mary to Hawaii within a year, Kilauea would dissolve before my eyes! Guess I'm going on a trip! It was really great to meet him, he was just as I pictured him to be.

On the way home that afternoon, we stopped at a furniture store, and just had to buy the beautiful curio that they had on display. It get's delivered in 2 to 4 weeks.

Later that afternoon, I got a call from Accents and Gifts. It turns out that I had won 2 door prizes, and Mary had won one! The girl calling had no idea what we had won though. I told her I would stop by Monday evening.

So all day Monday, I'm sitting at work, wondering what we may have won. That afternoon, I got a call from another Accents and Gifts, the one nearest my home where I do most of my buying. Lynn told me she had good news, bad news, and good news for me. The good news was that my Pt. Fermin mini had finally arrived. The bad news was that the Sea Girt ornament was on back order, and would probably not be there in time for Christmas. Then she said the other good news was that the HL rep had been there that morning with Bill, and she had had him sign my mini! I thought it was so cool! I told her I would be there that evening, but I had to stop at their other store first!

Well, I finally got there, and told the girl behind the counter that I was told I won some door prizes. She went back to check, and came back with a surprised look on her face. She said yes, you won three. The first was a deck of the HL trading cards, which are really cute. The second was a Mark Sherman water color of PT. Pinos. I thought that was great, what could be better? Well, the third was the Pigeon Point HL, signed by Bill! The week was getting better every minute! I thanked the clerk many times, she probably thinks I'm some sort of a nut, and then got in my car to drive across town for Pt. Fermin!

Once I got there, I started to talk to the girl behind the counter. She was also an HL collector, but had not been there in the morning, so she missed seeing Bill. I showed her where he signed Pt. Fermin, and she said yes, he also signed some of the display items too. Well, I had to take a look. Sitting there was the Grosse Point GLOW, signed by Bill. You see, living mosto fo our lives in Milwaukee, WI, and with a sister in Illinois, Mary and I used to drive past Grosse Point all the time, with their big freeway exit sign. We had been planning on getting this one as a rememberance of those drives, and this seemed to be the perfect time! So I called Mary, told her about it, and she said get it! (Yes, I do check with her before spending money!)

So..That night I returned home with 3 new HLs, a Mark Sherman print, and trading cards. All this the day after getting 2 HLs (technically 3, I guess), a curio cabinet, and Finally after all this time, meeting Bill Younger!

The only question now is....what do I do this coming weekend?

Jeff
Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128792 11/23/99 03:45 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow Jeff! Sounds like you had a great day! Great luck winning three prizes as well. Thanks for the great report!

-Todd

Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128793 11/23/99 04:09 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Jeff,

I'm so excited and happy for you. That was a great report and, it seems, a great day for you. You're a lucky man, in both the drawings and marrying your wife. I think this weekend should be spent doing whatever Mary wants to do (as long as it involves HL!) LOL.

Joanne

Re: Nov.21 "Accents & Gifts" Lewisville, TX #128794 11/23/99 10:38 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Beyond your wildest dreams, Jeff...

I've been following your count-down to the signing postings and I'm so glad they turned out great! Great luck, too.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users