Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's your Harbour Lights' Event Memory? #128541 12/13/00 02:27 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The last of the Bill Younger and Rep in-store event has been held and of course the final of the 'Regional Event' is over.

So if you attended one or more of these events in this year, what's your favorite memory?

Re: What's your Harbour Lights' Event Memory? #128542 12/13/00 02:25 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
My Favorite, was the very first event,July 16th in Milwaukee. Although it was a lot of planning and preparation on my part(not having a Rep in the area)Our club really enjoyed hosting The Regional Event. There were about 100 people in attendance and I was running all over the place making sure everything ran smoothly. Now I know how Maureen and the Harbour Lights staff feel at the Reunions, but it was a great time and at the end of the day just to kick back and think what a good day it was. I would like to do it again. Regional Event in Milwaukee in 2001 ????? I'm up for it!! [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=271820&a=3254885&p=29106267[/img]

[This message has been edited by Jim Johnston (edited 12-13-2000).]

Re: What's your Harbour Lights' Event Memory? #128543 01/07/01 04:47 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
The only regional event we had a chance to go to was the one in Milwaukee, Wi, which happens to be my hometown. I cannot say enough about the hard work that Jim and his members put into this event. Walking into the hall, we were met immediately by an overwhelming professional quality of displays, promoting both Harbour Lights, the Great Lakes club itself, but most impressively the work this club has put in on the restoraton of Potawatamie Lighthouse in Door County. Jim's HUGE photos on display left you with no doubt whatsoever that this club is SERIOUS about hands-on help in restoring the lighthouse.

Everyone was exceedingly friendly, but then that is typical of Wisconsin people and the Midwest in general. We were greatly impressed also with how all the club members pitched in to help, not just a few being burdened with the work. This is surely a sign of a worthy club. So impressed, in fact, that I joined the club to support my home state. We look forward to participating in more of their events, as we will be spending more summer vacation time in Wisconsin in the next year.

The idea of regionals is great; but my original unmet expectation and hence suggestion, remains the same. If a regional is to be more than just a meeting of local club members; if its purpose is also to attract HL collectors from farther afield; if it is also to serve as a vehicle to interest prospectives in collecting HL's and becoming interested in real lighthouses ---- then there needs to be more content to the day: everyone would really like to hear Bill give a talk on lighthouses. And those who attend would most likely enjoy hearing more about lighthouses from an additional expert in the field, especially about any local lighthouses. For the amount of money spent to rent a large hall; the money spent by those traveling any distance to attend, possibly staying overnight; and staying on to see local lighthouses; then certainly there needs to be more "meat" to an extended day. Such an agenda would undoubtedly increase attendance at these regionals, if publically advertised in addition to the HL promotion process.

We have in the past expressed our interest in having REAL HL regional "reunions" to complement the big one held every 2 or 3 years. This would be a good way to grow into such an arrangement; and give local clubs a chance to work with HL in creating an extended day with a bit more content. We all looked forward to meeting Bill and getting our pieces signed, and making new friends; but there seemed to be enough time left over to include a program or two.

I have heard from several HL collectors who said they did NOT attend regionals because they wanted more activity to warrant time and the length of travel distance.

I would hope that John will refer these comments to HL for their consideration for planning the 2001 regionals. We look forward to attending one or more this coming year and meeting more HL Forum friends.

Would YOU like to see more program content to be included within a regional?

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users