Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128295 05/24/99 08:43 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anyone going to the Roberts event this weekend?

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128296 05/27/99 02:54 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Bill and Woody sure are gonna be lonely!

Moby
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128297 05/27/99 03:36 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Thought about it, gave it some serious thought. In the end 13+ hours driving round trip in a day is a bit much, even to see Bill. We'll have to wait until he comes inland a bit.

Rick

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128298 05/27/99 05:36 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I thought about it also, and decided, even though I love the Outer Banks(Used to live in Kill Devil Hills) I don't want to drive that far, just for one night. But I'm planning on going to the Signing in Cary NC the next day!

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 05-27-99).]

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128299 05/27/99 09:43 PM
B
bmaddux Offline
B
My wife and I are driving up to Nags Head from Charleston SC tomorrow, we definitely plan to attend the event (our first). We love going to the Outer Banks, try to make a trip there every couple of years. This might be our last for a while, however, since we're transferring from Charleston to Memphis TN later this summer (just when its starting to look like the Morris Island lighthouse restoration will actually happen). On Sunday, we plan to drive down to Buxton to check out the Cape Hatteras activities.

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128300 05/27/99 11:40 PM
W
wclark Offline
W
I have been to the signings at Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts the past two years on Memorial Day weekend. However, this year I'll go to Cary,N.C. on Sunday. Only a few miles from home. Lighthouses won't have as far to travel to get signed. Nice people at Aggies in Cary.

Warren

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128301 05/28/99 07:07 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
bmaddux

Where do they stand on the Morris Island relief effort? Can it be saved? Will it be saved?

Do you know anywhere where pictures can be seen that show its deterioration over time? Newpaper?

Have you climbed her?

I may wait for Bill's visit this fall in Hampton. Outer Banks traffic real bad in season and especially on holidays in the summer.

Moby
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128302 05/30/99 12:10 AM
B
bmaddux Offline
B
The Morris Island SC light was purchased this past February by a nonprofit organization called Save the Light Inc. They intend to restore the light to the extent possible, then turn it over to the state of South Carolina.

The Army Corps of Engineers is currently conducting a six-month engineering study of the light (required by the state prior to taking title). The study primarily addresses the condition of the submerged foundation. It is anticipated that restoration will include shoring up the foundation (assuming this is possible), replacing missing doors, stairs, & windows, repairing cracked or missing masonry and brickwork, and repainting. There are no plans to restore the lighting mechanisms or to relight the light. Also, there are no plans to move the light onto dry land, or to allow visitors into the lighthouse itself. A more formal viewing area may one day be established on the old Coast Guard station on adjacent Folly Island.

If no major foundation flaws are found, it is estimated that it will cost 1 to 1.5 million dollars for restoration.

Save the Light has a web page located at www.savethelight.org which provides more details about the ongoing study and fundraising activities. This site also includes extensive historical and current photographs of the light.

I have not climbed the light, but I have viewed it both from Folly Island and by private boat. The light had about a 10 degree lean to seaward.

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128303 05/30/99 06:53 PM
LamarB Offline
bmaddux - Thanks for the Morris Island link. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128304 06/02/99 01:23 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Bmaddux Thanks for the Morris Island Web Page. Bookmarked that sucker and will join society if affordable.

Do you live down there. Here strips matched my Bodie Island.

Moby
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128305 06/02/99 03:42 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW. I finally got to meet Bill Sunday, at Aggies in Cary. The signing was supposed to start at 2pm, but when I got there at 1:15 He was already signing away! I had to get my Kilauea shipped at a later date since they had already sold out! But never fear I still had a piece I had brought with me, for Bill to sign. I told him that the light he was signing was the first non-North Carolina lighthouse I ever saw, he held up the Hillsboro and said "How did that come about?" Lots of fun listening to the stories he told the others in the line and Myself about the lights we had.

------------------
Weasel58

ps The Rep that was also there, said that an Oak Island was in the works. He said that would be all the Major Lights in NC. At first I thought he was joking so I asked him again and he said "it's really in the works."

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 06-02-99).]

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128306 06/03/99 07:24 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Weasel58, How do you get to Oak Island from Tidewater Virginia?

Moby

Moby
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128307 06/03/99 01:10 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Robert, Actually I've never been there, but the lighthouse is at Caswell Beach South of the Cape Fear River's Mouth. If you read Art's Travel log for his last vacation I believe he gave the roads names he used. IF you take either Hwy 17 south or Hwy 13 south to Hwy 17, your on the right track. Just Follow 17 until your south of Wilmington, Turn South on NC 87 to Souhport, your in the right area. Check Art's travel log for the rest.

------------------
Weasel58

Hope that Helps a little.

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 06-03-99).]

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128308 06/05/99 02:12 AM
Art Offline
Moby,

There's no good way to get to Oak Island from VA Beach, but you may want to try US-13 West to US-58 West then I-95 South to I-40 East (Exit 81) to SR-132 (Exit 420). Continue on SR-132 South to US-17 West to SR-133 South. Follow 132 until it ends, and continue straight ahead on the local road. You can't miss the lighthouse.

If you plan this trip and you haven't seen Bald Head yet, be sure to stop there too. Spend some time on Bald Head Island and climb the lighthouse. It's not the easiest lighthouse to get to, but it's worth the effort. Oak Island is very easy to get to, but is not much to look at imo, and you can't climb it. Oak Island by itself is not worth the long trip, imo.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128309 06/07/99 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weasel,Moby and Art,

Thanks for the early warning about Oak Island, helps me save those pennies. There are still three more lights in NC that HL hasn't done if they make Oak Island. But I am sure these are considered minority lights. They are Prices Creek,Roanoke River and Diamond Shoals Lights. I saw all but Diamond Shoals last summer and there is no easy way regardless of which direction you are traveling from to get to some of them.

Oak Island isn't in the same league with the other NC lights in my opinion, it is very sterile in comparison. As a teenager I spent sometime at the Baptist camp that is near Oak Island, so I have fond memories of the area.
You can get a distant shot of this light when you are on the ferry that takes you to Bald Head. If you want a nice treat, stay at one of the B&Bs overnight. There was something about the site and condition of Prices Creek that fascinated me.

How happy I am to know about the Morris Island restoration. Haven't gone to the website, but will and plan to join, like Moby, if afforadable. My husband and I were there last summer also and I walked the hot sands of Folly Beach to get photographs. I'll make a return visit after the restoration.

Happy travels,
Derith

PS Just went to the Morris Island site..Oh, my! What a wealth of information!

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-07-99).]

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128310 06/07/99 03:26 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Derith,

If your going to include the "Texas Towers" don't forget "Frying Pan Shoals" thats off Cape Lookout.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 06-07-99).]

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128311 06/07/99 03:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perhaps I am not pulling up all the lights in NC. I thought Frying Pan was a lightship that is in NY harbor as we speak. Set me straight, here and now, please. As a Tar Heel, born and bred, I need to be sure of my facts when I write about the NC lights.
Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-07-99).]

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128312 06/07/99 09:08 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Derith, I goofed Frying Pan Shoals Lighttower is off Cape Fear not Lookout. But yes Frying Pan Shoals is a North Carolina Light!

BTW It's always great to talk to another "Tar Heel."

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128313 06/08/99 12:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good Evening Weasel,

After picking okra and black eyed peas this afternoon after school, I'm hammering away once again on the formum. When I checked my email, I had a very nice email from Terri Hagenlocker who gave me information about both Diamond Shoals and Frying Pan Shoals. Thanks to you both. Somehow, I had let that one slip.

Are you from NC or live there now or both, Weasel?

Derith

Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128314 06/08/99 02:44 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes to Both Derith. I was born here and still live here, been in NC for my whole life except for Three mounths in Tampa, Fl, which was last fall. In fact I used to live in Kill Devil Hills, on the Outer Banks. Thats where I developed my love of Lighhouses. Lots of Great lights there!

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 06-08-99).]

Eric
Re: Outer Banks Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts Event #128315 06/09/99 03:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice to know another TarHeel born and bred!

Did you ever hear of the town of Roanoke Rapids?-born and grew up there. Many summers as I was growing up, my family stayed in the Pappendick cottages across from the Wilbur and Orville Wright motel at the beach. In those days there was only the beach road to get you to the Outer Banks. Not many hotels and motels, either. I could see the Wright Memorial across acres of undeveloped land from where we stayed. Those were the days.

What city do you call home now?

It's unfortunate that I didn't know when you were residing in Tampa. I live in the area, myself.

Derith

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users