cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pt. Arena, Calif. #12814 10/15/02 06:47 PM
ga light man Offline OP
OP Offline
I really someone to shed some wisdom with me today!I just purchased this great lighthouse with flag number 3399/9500. I looked on harbour lights website on their table and it estimated there were approx. 2500 made but retired early due to breakage during shipping.Now did HL make just 2500, or did they make more, or did they start numbering this lighthouse with a higher number until they reached approx. 2500?
Can someone help with the confussion?
Rick

Re: Pt. Arena, Calif. #12815 10/15/02 07:31 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Rick, They actually palnned to make 9500 but only made 5428. They stopped making them because of breakage. The thin tower was snapping off at the base and the large rocks at the water's edge were breaking off. They estimate that only about 2500 survived the shipping to the dealer's. Since that time there has been another estimate put out that of the 2500 that survived shipping, only about 2000 are left that have not been damaged by moving, cleaning, handling, etc.

You should look you piece over REAL GOOD as I read somewhere on the Forums(I believe)that another forum member bought a piece from a dealer that had the tower reglued. Look your piece over and make sure that the rocks or tower have not been reglued/repaired and then paint touched up.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Pt. Arena, Calif. #12816 10/15/02 07:33 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Rick, I'm no expert on this piece but let's assume that more than 2500 were shipped to dealers. Pick any number larger than 3399, say 5000. The 2500 edition size would indicate the number of the hypothetical 5000 that did not arrive broken. I, myself have #4729 which is one of the broken ones. The areas on this piece, to the best of my knowledge, that were susceptible to breakage are the rock sections of the base that stick out as well as the tower itself. Mine is one of the ones with the broken tower. You have to look very, very close to see that it was repaired. I bought it because I liked it and got a good price, not intending to ever try to sell it. Pt. Arena is a nice piece but one that a buyer must exercise caution when purchasing to be sure they're getting one of the 2500.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will answer you as well.

Re: Pt. Arena, Calif. #12817 10/15/02 09:49 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Rick, I'm going to give you some information from Jim Rutherford's Harbour Lights Fifth Edition Survival Guide on Point Arena. I quote " This beautiful California lighthouse has an elegantly thin tower and rugged rocks vulnerable to breakage. It was one of the last lighthouses made with styrofoam peanut packing, and it did not ship well at all.

Harbour Lights modified it's packing as it trried to save this design by adding a protective wrapping to the tower and putting styrofoam peanuts in bags to better cushion the rest of the lighthouse. It was not enough. Harbour Lights finally decided to retire Point Arena prematurely.

The last piece number sold of Point Arena was #5428, but that does not tell the whole tale. Breakage was over 30% and may have been as high as 50%. Also, the rocks were a frequent source of post shipping breakage. At most, there are probably under 3500 Point Arenas in existence and possibly only 2000 in "good" condition" end quote.

This is straight from the book and that's why I saidCheck it over real good because a bargain is only a bargain if everyone is happy as Mombo indicated.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Pt. Arena, Calif. #12818 10/16/02 01:31 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Perhaps Paul could do one of his multiple shot animation series of a perfect Point Arena so we could all compare our pieces. I suspect that many of us have these pieces and don't know if they are broken or not if the rocks were touched up after they broke off. I have one that I know was broken, but I am not sure if my others are perfect.
Jim
Johnson

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 811 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users