Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128155 03/21/07 10:50 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Anyone have any reports on how the Bill Younger Orlando signing went?

Anything interesting happen?

How does the Detroit River piece look in person?

Wacko's need to know!!! laugh

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128156 03/23/07 11:07 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I guess there wasn't many CF members who made it to Bill's signing on the 18th. Probably were at the St. Augustine event with Bill on the 17th.

Well, I can now answer one of my questions myself. I decided not to wait for the NJ Challange in October to get a signed Detroit River piece and order one from Terry at the Bronze Lady. First I thought I'll be too much in a rush trying to complete the NJ Challenge this year, and second I was hoping for a low numbered piece. Well as for the low numbered piece thinking, these pieces aren't numbered. frown

Anyway, I also now know why the piece was only $45. It's much smaller then I expected, frown but the detail is great. laugh

Still very happy with the piece. Thanks Terry for the quick shipping. smile

Here's a pic to show the size:

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128157 03/23/07 12:20 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Signing and regional event pieces normally were not numbered. Last year was a glitch.

The smaller piece is intentional, going back to the day when the event pieces represented smaller lights and were done on a much smaller scale. They were kind of a "loss leader" and folks often might purchase more than one piece.

I would bet that there are a number of folks who were drawn to collecting HL because they happened into a store that was having a Bill signing event, saw the smaller and modestly priced event piece, bought it and met Bill while he was signing it. Later they started to look at the other HL offerings, bought some more and it was all downhill from there.....

Some of the earlier signing event pieces remain among my favorites and I'll bet I am not alone. Plus, we hear so much call for smaller sized pieces that take up less display territory.

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128158 03/23/07 01:43 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Shades of Sunken Rock! I like it! These event pieces should be smaller, in my humble opinion.

smile Bob smile

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128159 03/23/07 01:52 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
I'll pile on here. The small size event pieces are cool.
The first photo is very promising. Can't wait to see the piece in person.
DRL is the start or finish mark for the Trans-Erie sailbaot race (alternate direction/alternate years) so I'm a little partial to it.

Dan

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128160 03/24/07 01:09 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Returning back to the small event piece is a great idea.
This allows most people to afford to buy a light so they have a chance at the drawing.
I don’t know about everywhere else but at St Augustine we had to buy a Limited edition to be eligible for the gold store event drawing. I offered to buy the HL collectors guide for $40 for a chance, but I was told I could not get a ticket with that purchase. So I told them they just lost a sale. Did buy the St Aug Lens (It is awesome but smaller than expected) and the society piece for two chances.

DANIEL
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128161 03/24/07 02:09 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I could care less about a drawing...I just ordered one 'cuz it's SMALL and easy to fit/display in my curio...I just don't have anymore room for light stations with 8-inch footprints...

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128162 03/24/07 02:45 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like the size but it doesn't look like it is anything unusual. Unlike Rock I'll buy it for the drawing!
Judy

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128163 03/24/07 03:57 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The rules for entry into either the store event or regional event gold piece draawings are that you purchase a full size piece (either LE or OE) or an Anchor Bay. LL's are not supposed to count to be part of the drawing for gold. St. Augustine was just adhering to the rules as published. There are dealers that are either too greedy for a sale or just don't care about the rules, but I do appreciate St. Augustine honoring the policy even at the cost of a book sale.

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128164 03/25/07 05:14 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Is there a thumbnail being given at signing events?
HCS

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128165 03/25/07 06:08 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
Is there a thumbnail being given at signing events?
HCS
I know there was a thumbnail given out at the St. Augustine signing and their probably will be given one out at the regionals, but I don't think they give them out at every signing event.

Stan M
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128166 03/25/07 08:38 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The thumbnail lights are designed to be given out at signing events. Bill will always have some with him (though I did need to give him one at Alpena a couple years ago - Alpena is not a signing event). When Harry, Kim or Nancy go to a signing they will also usually have some. With fewer signing events last year, the decision was made to also give out thumbnails at the regional events. (There will not be a special thumbnail for the regional events, the Detroit River one should be used.)

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128167 03/25/07 09:16 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Dave for clearing that up. I didn't know they give them out at every signing event. cool laugh

Stan M
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128168 03/26/07 01:29 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
The rules for entry into either the store event or regional event gold piece drawings are that you purchase a full size piece (either LE or OE) or an Anchor Bay.
I knew that you couldn't purchase a LLOM or a Ornament for a ticket, I learned that one last year.

Well I just figured that since the book was in the price range of the Event piece that they would give out a ticket for buying the book.

Bill also was misinformed and was telling collectors to buy the book for a chance for the gold. When I found out that you couldn't get a ticket with the Book I went back and informed Bill. He was surprised.

DANIEL
Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128169 03/27/07 02:15 PM
H
HL Kathy Offline
H
On Behalf of Tony Constantino:

Good Tuesday Morning!

I was happy to read that Collectors like the size of the 2007 Event Replica!

Experience has taught that Signing Event pieces are most often an impulse buy. Collectors traditionally want to buy full size Limited Editions at signing Events and the
Event piece is most often a bonus.

In speaking with Harry, he is confident that Harbour Lights historians will remember that the first several Signing Event Replicas were of the same size as Detroit River.

Harbour Lights worked very hard to develop a piece with great detail and an interesting history.

Re: Bill Younger signing in Orlando #128170 03/27/07 05:31 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Here are some images thatg have been sent to me of the Detroit River thumbnail. Remember, these images may make the thumbhail look larger than it really is. Do have to say that there does appear to be great detail on the piece!

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users