Next Thread
Print Thread
Block's Hallmark Event Report #128123 09/19/99 08:39 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi everyone!

Marla & I just returned from the Bill Younger signing at Block's. Judging from the attendance, it was a huge success. The event was to begin at noon, but we arrived at 11:45 and the line was already 5 people deep.

We went over to the display to check out the new releases of Fisgard, La Coruna, and Tarrytown. As always, they are so much better in person than in pictures. We also talked with Nelson, our local HL Rep. He is always a joy to talk to and very informative. He works the crowd well, generating interest in the line to onlookers. In Anchor Bay news, Nelson stated that the advance orders for the U.S.C.G. Motor Lifeboat are much higher than any other AB to date. The outlook for a fast retirement looks good. We also spoke with a family who had been to Cape Hatteras before and during the move. A small crowd gathered around as they described climbing the 270 some steps of the tower and viewing the large yellow "X" on the spot where the tower was to be moved. They also related their experiences of the move in progress. The stories stirred a lot of excitement in the crowd.

We then went over to talk to Bill. I had brought my Kilauea that Nancy had signed, the edition of "Legacy" that contained a photo of Bill and I, and I bought a Nobska at the store. Bill graciously signed all of them. I was wearing my best Hawaiian shirt for the event (I commented to Bill that it wasn't as nice as Paul's shirt)and Marla and I had our "Connected Collector" badges on. Bill got a good chuckle out of Marla's which said "Harbour Lights Widow" under her name. We also reminiced about how Bill's Brother-in-Law was the principal at my old high school. (We discussed it last year, but it had slipped my mind until Bill brought it up again. Small World!)

Due to the large crowd, Block's ran out of the event piece at 12:20, just 20 minutes after the event was scheduled to begin! (They had received 18 for the event). The names of the people who couldn't get one at the event were taken, and they will be sent a signed one at a later date. Other Harbour Lights were flying off the shelves as well. While I was there, there was always a line at the check out, and most people I saw were purchasing the event piece as well as an additional piece. Cinnamon doughnuts and Apple Cider were served also.

We had to leave to go to Marla's company picnic, so I wasn't able to meet up with fellow collecter Jim, AKA DR. Who?, AKA drwhok9. Jim, we left at 12:40, so you will have to pick up the report from here!

My thanks to Bill, Nelson, Donna and the rest of the staff at Block's for a great event!

-Todd

Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128124 09/20/99 01:15 AM
drwhok9 Offline
Hello Todd and all other collectors -

Todd - I must have just missed you. We probably passed at the door as I think I arrived just as you and your wife were leaving. I had wanted to meet you and I even wore my collector badge just for you. I hope to meet you sometime at another event.

The store was crowded all the time, thining out only about 15 minutes before the end of the event. I heard Nelson ask the owner of the store, Mr. Block, about sales and number of items sold was estimated at over 50. I do not know if that includes the 18 event pieces but the store's inventory of HLs shrunk quite a bit. I accounted for 3 pieces - Old Mission Point, Mi., La Coruna, Spain, and Kilauea, Hi. The Kilauea had been held for someone who after seeing it did not want it. I had spoken to Donna, the store manager, about ordering one, so she sold that one to my Father, who I invited to the event to meet Bill. My Father was then kind enough to give the LH to me as a gift - Ha, Ha. So sometimes it pays to arrive late.

I had Bill sign several items I brought with me and he was kept VERY busy signing and talking with everyone. Many people were having pictures taken, I did too of course. One very funny thing happened when a picture was being taken. There was some concern that the camera being used was not working as the flash was not going off. Bill said that there was plenty of light coming in through the large windows. Some comment was made about 'glare' from someone's bald head, and Bill said that was no need to be 'nasty'. Everyone in the area was laughing very loudly and the woman who made the comment went and hid behind a display of Hallmark Christmas decorations. She was finally allowed back near the signing table.

I had taken my Bob Memorial tree to show my Father as I had told him the story about Bob. Several people had heard about it, but had not seen it. When I brought it in to the store it was quite a hit. Several people wanted to know how to order it and details about the birth and death of Bob.
Bill was even nice to sign my tree and provided a comentary about what happened at Rosemont when he was presented with all his Bob gifts to those people standing in the area who did not know about that.

All in all it was a very fun time. Some people were informed about these forums, and the weekly chats. We may have some new visitors soon. I agree with Todd that all the people working at Block's were very helpful and patient with all of us collectors. To anyone in the area of Saginaw I would recommend a visit to this store just to see their large display of HLs.

If I think of anything else to say I will post a new message, but I think I covered just about everything. I know this is a long post, sorry, but I just wanted to try and cover everything.

Jim
aka - drwhok9
aka - Dr. Who?

P.S. My Father enjoyed meeting Bill and listening to him talk about the lighthouses. He learned how they are made, how to care for them and was impressed with the time Bill took with everyone and how Bill told some of the people who carried their pieces to be signed wrapped in towels in laundry baskets how to better pack the LH in the towels so not to damage them. I also was happy my Father could be there with me.

P.P.S.
To Bill Younger - thank you for your time this busy weekend. Two visits at stores in the Detroit area on Sat. and then in Saginaw on Sun. I hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to meeting you again.

[This message has been edited by drwhok9 (edited 09-19-99).]

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128125 09/20/99 02:39 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Todd and Jim for the great reports from you both!

Too bad you didn't hook up with each other, but two great reports.

John

Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128126 10/18/99 10:34 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just thought you would like to see the great shirt I wore that day:

-Todd

Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128127 10/19/99 11:26 AM
O
orv Offline
O
Great Shirt Todd, I was going to wear one to the event last Sat, but Teresa doesn't like to be seen with me in public when I wear my Hawaiian Shirt. I wonder why.

ORV
Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128128 10/19/99 04:46 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Looks like you didn't get the memo Todd. After Long Beach Expo, NO MORE ALOHA WEAR.

Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128129 10/24/99 09:48 PM
drwhok9 Offline
Hi gang.

Well I finally had the last of my Aug. vacation photos developed which included a couple of photos of Bill Younger and myself at the signing at Block's. I also finally figured out how to use Photopoint for storing my photos and how to link them to here. So I just thought I would let all of you see what I look like behind all my crazy postings.

I will also try to find time to get a copy of the photo sent to HL for use in their magazine section of Bill & Me.

I will also be putting some lighthouse photos from my vacation in an album at Photopoint sometime and will post the information when available.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128130 10/25/99 02:06 AM
JeffB Offline
I have the same feeling Todd. Seems like November 21 will never get here!

Jeff
Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128131 10/25/99 02:08 AM
JeffB Offline
AAck!! I mean Sean!

Jeff
Re: Block's Hallmark Event Report #128132 10/26/99 01:52 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the photos, Todd and Jim. Appreciate the time and effort involved.

Mombo

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users