Next Thread
Print Thread
Post your plans for New Orleans #127959 04/10/08 12:37 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Are you driving in or Flying?

Are you planing to arrive before the event for sightseeing or are you planing on staying in New Orleans after the Tour for sightseeing?

Are you heading east after the event to see other lighthouses along the Gulf Coast?

Are you staying at the LeRich or are you staying elsewhere?

I ask these questions because if two or more are planing the same things and you know who else has the same ideas. Wouldn't it be more fun to do it together?

So post your plans and lets see what happens!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127960 04/10/08 01:36 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We will be driving.

We will be arriving Thurs. afternoon and will be staying at the LeRich. I've never been to New Orleans. So I hope to get in some sightseeing Thursday and Friday.

We will have to head back home Monday night after we return back to New Orleans. I have a meeting I have to be at on Tuesday evening.

Cyndi
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127961 04/10/08 04:31 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am coming in on Friday at 5:32Pm after work(ugh).I am staying at the LaRich with Kay and plan on going home on Tuesday. We are driving with Cyndi (Thanks So MUCH). I cant wait to go and before you know it its over. Then I have to plan the one at Ohio. I hope the weather is perfect for us.
Fran

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127962 04/10/08 06:02 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Stan and I are driving and leaving CT on Wednesday, arriving at LaRich on Friday. On Tuesday, 6/10, we travel through Texas to Brownsville and Point Isabel Light. We'll begin the trek back along the coast and inland to photograph lights on the inland lakes and see as many of that state's 14 lights (faux and remains included) as possible.

If we can find a boat or plane in Venice, LA we'll see what we can on the Gulf Coast. We'll then travel to see what we can of Mississippi's remaining lights. Alabama's next with a stop at Robinson Iron Company in Alexander City where the Mobile Point (Range Rear) light sits awaiting restoration when funding is obtained.

We'll then travel the Florida coastline from Pensacola to Port Boca Grande Light, then across and up the coastline to try to get shots of Cape Canaveral Light (3rd try). We'll arrive back in CT around June 21st or 22nd. Should have enough pictures to keep me busy for the rest of the year.

BTW, my car's big enough for 2 more people to ride comfortably. Let me know if you want to ride with us while in New Orleans.

vhappy vhappy vhappy vhappy

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127963 04/22/08 06:17 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bringing this back to the top. Let us hear from more of you.

I will be driving. Haven't desided yet if I will come earlie or just get up earlie Sat. morning to drive over (it's only 135 miles, 2 1/2 hrs).

I've been to N.O. so many times, that there isn't much that I can say that I haven't already seen. But I do want to get there earlie enough that I have time to go to the Cafe Du Monde for Beignets.(It's a tradition... I can't go within 50 miles of N.O. without makeing a detour to the French Quarters for Beignets at Cafe Du Monde) So I'm leaning towards staying Friday night at LeRich being that it will be a long long day even without the earlie morning drive from Mobile.

Oh that reminds me for those of you who also like to visit the Natioanl Parks on you trips. The visitor center for the New Orleans Zass National Park is just behind the Cafe Du Monde. Between Cafe Du Monde and the river. I looked for this visitors center for years before I finaly found it, and I had been right there!!

Stephanie

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127964 05/07/08 10:19 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bringing this back to the top again.

Come on now I know there's more than 4 of us going.

Stephanie

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127965 05/08/08 02:32 AM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Driving be there Thursday pm
RIP

RIP
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127966 05/27/08 01:58 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
For those of you who want to visit some of the Historical Homes and Museums of the French Quarters. Here is a walking tour and map.

Historic French Quarters

Stephanie

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127967 05/28/08 02:16 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Stephanie for the information. Now I just need to get my laptop hooked up to a printer to print it out.
The storm here last night didn't just take out the power and trees all over town, but my cumputer also. My husband has this laptop for training classes he does at the fire dept. This is the first time I have used it. My son uses his laptop all the time and loves it, I think once I get use to it I will like using it.

Cyndi
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127968 05/29/08 03:49 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wish I could be there... I ran across this link that indicated Flying Tours of Lighthouses I imagine you don't have a spare minute on this upcoming trip.

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127969 05/29/08 10:42 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
'Tis a very small world that we live in thanks to the internet. . . .

After the regional, Stan and I are planning to view and photograph lighthouses in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

I looked into getting a boat to get us to six lighthouses located near Venice, LA--Pass a l'Outre, South Pass, SW Pass (1839), SW Pass (1871), SW Pass Entrance, and Ship Shoal. The lead I got from Lighthouse Friends site no longer had a shallow bottom boat and suggested I contact Gulf South Helicopters. They have a helicopter that seats two and only two--pilot and passenger and I am not carefree enough to hang out the window shooting pictures--that's Stan's job. I find their location(s). Gulf South suggested trying one of the airports. New Orleans Lakefront Airport (one airport that Gulf Coast Aviation flies out of) was within a reasonable travel distance to the lights (MapQuest showed that), so I contacted them and asked if a flight could be arranged through them. Dave Cusiman called me after getting the email and we've set up a trip for June 14th. I mentioned in our phone conversation that none of the Chambers of Commerce or any entity that you would think would know of tour operators (need I tell you I can go overboard in trying to locate someone to take us to area lighthouses?) ever responded to emails or faxes I'd sent and suggested that he give some thought to developing a site spelling out lighthouse tours. Apparently he's done just that. Color me tickled. . . .

Sandy

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127970 05/29/08 11:19 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I found that link for "Lighthouse Aerial Tour" as a Google ad on my gmail. Very small world. I'll have to change that link because he has to pay Google each time someone clicks it - whether they buy or not. (I did change it.)

Maybe you can get a discount if you let him use your lighthouse images to put together a 'gallery' showing the lights that can be seen on such a tour, Sandy....

Ask him if he can set up the window in the plane to fully open. Usually they open out at the bottom about 6". He just has to remove a small bracket that prevents the window from fully opening. When in flight, the window will be held all the way open automatically by the airfoil effect.

On the Cessna, it may only be the pilot's side window that opens; but he can fly from the co-pilot's seat. That way you can get nice clear photos without shooting through Plexiglas. A haze filter or polarizer will enhance the aerials; remember to set the lens for infinity - no need to focus.

Your photos should be worth about $195 for use on his website, I'd say that would be a 'fair trade'. towel

Shoot some photos of the pilot preflighting his plane and from inside the plane during flight. This will give him the full range of 'experiental' photos to use on his 'Lighthouse Tour' page. You can also 'fake' an 'inflight'photo by shooting from the ground looking up at the plane with the sky in the background (engine running - be careful.) Pilot pointing out some interesting 'ground' feature.

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127971 06/02/08 10:42 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
A reminder to bring lots of WARM WEATHER clothing (shorts and tank tops). The weather here today was 96 degrees, although they are predicting a cooling spell of 92 for tomorrow and down to the high 80's by the weekend. With nightly lows in the high 70's. There are also 30% predictions of Isolated Thunderstorms for Fri - Mon. Here that really doesn't mean anything, you may or may not see any rain at all. Let's hope for the may not!

When packing remember that here on the Gulf it's not so much the heat that gets you, it's the humidity!!! So bring more changes of clothing than you think you will need. And don't forget your deodorant! LOL whistling

Stephanie

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127972 06/03/08 01:15 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Stephanie, starting to get things packed now.

Cyndi
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127973 06/03/08 03:40 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was looking for a way to take a flight to see the Pass lights. Cant find a time to do it. Would really like to find the time

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127974 06/04/08 04:05 PM
kikigl Offline
Hey Steph,

I want to go to the Cafe Du Monde for beignets too!
Kay

Kay
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127975 06/05/08 10:06 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Y'all have a great time! I sure wish I could be there with you guys. NO is on my list to do but not this weekend.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127976 06/05/08 10:44 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,

Sorry you can't go! Kay and I will both eat an extra beignet and say that one was for you! laugh

Stephanie

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127977 06/05/08 11:08 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Don't want to get off topic, but what's a "beignet"?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127978 06/05/08 12:58 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
A beignet ([bεɲ.e] pronounced ben–YAY, from the Middle French word for "bump"), in American English, refers to a French doughnut being a pastry made from deep-fried dough and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. Beignets are often found in, and typically associated with, the city of New Orleans, Louisiana. Savory versions of beignets are also popular as an appetizer, with fillings such as crawfish or shrimp.

thanks Steph and Kay

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127979 06/05/08 04:58 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just checked the weather and it is going to be in the 90's and no rain towel . of course that can change at the drop of a hat. OK in NC its past that now so I guess I will survive. I am getting antsy already have had my clothes ready and I will pack tonight. Leaving from work tomorrow at 1:30 for the airport.
applaud

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127980 06/05/08 06:21 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Fran,

Wish that I were going with you. It's a bitch being poor.

bobo

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127981 06/06/08 01:05 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WHo said I had money biglaugh

Re: Post your plans for New Orleans #127982 06/06/08 02:28 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Fran,

That's a very smart idea. cheers

bobo

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users