cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Tidewater Bug #127898 07/02/06 02:51 AM
beachcomber Offline OP
OP Offline
Inquiring minds want to know. Some of us ended up with some type of bug while in Tidewater and I am curious to know if anyone else was affected. Sandy J. and Judy C. started getting sick during the event. I attributed my symptoms to seasickness on Saturday, but I was so sick when I returned home that I ended up in bed for a couple of days - high fever and all the symptoms of an intestinal flu. At the height of it, I slept for almost 36 hours - getting up only to tend to my girls (the dogs). I couldn't even bring myself to drink more than about half a cup of liquid during the entire time despite being warned about dehydration. All I wanted to do was sleep. Anyone else? Or were we the lucky frown few?

beachcomber
Re: The Tidewater Bug #127899 07/02/06 03:33 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My illness started out with a headache on Thursday prior to leaving for the Wolftrap cruise at 4 AM on Friday. The next 3 nights of chills and sweats and lack of appetite for anything but cold liquids, coupled with a headache that just wouldn't go away were diagnosed by my GP as Lyme Disease or its cousin (whose name I can't spell).

The bracelets with half-pearl applying constant pressure to each wrist's pulse to ward off motion sickness worked miracles like they have in the past, so I can't blame either trip for how I felt. I've been on whatever drug it is that's given to treat Lyme Disease since last Monday and felt good enough today to douse myself with bug spray with Deet and venture into the yard to do some weeding.

Stan and I did not eat at the buffet, altho' he did have blueberry pancakes on Sunday morning. Dinner on Saturday was brought by room service but I don't know if that menu was the same offered to everyone at the dinner.

Neither of us could tolerate the faucet water in the bathroom for drinking, but the fountain in the lobby had good, cold water and we filled our water bottles with that when we left on Sunday.

Don't think it was either the food or the beverages, but "forensics" is the field I plan to get into in another life. laugh laugh

Sandy

Re: The Tidewater Bug #127900 07/03/06 12:27 AM
beachcomber Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't think it was the food either. Just thought maybe there was a bug going around. I'm not completely over it, so plan to visit the doctor this week. You missed a fantastic meal Saturday night. The buffet was out of sight! The food was really, really good.

Hey, I've picked the same career for MY next life! It is the most cool field ever! Wish I'd gone into it in THIS life. frown

beachcomber
Re: The Tidewater Bug #127901 07/03/06 05:46 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Susan and I did NOT get sick.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Tidewater Bug #127902 07/05/06 05:22 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Was somewhat seasick during the Saturday boat trip and then again at dinner, both cured with a little Dramamine. Later developed hives on my arms frown , which I think was a reaction to the sunscreen. But thankfully did not have the bug others have mentioned. smile

Melody
Re: The Tidewater Bug #127903 07/05/06 05:36 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by MelJB:
Was somewhat seasick during the Saturday boat trip and then again at dinner, both cured with a little Dramamine. Later developed hives on my arms frown , which I think was a reaction to the sunscreen. But thankfully did not have the bug others have mentioned. smile
What are the possible side effects of dimenhydrinate?
• Stop taking dimenhydrinate and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take dimenhydrinate and talk to your doctor if you experience
· drowsiness or dizziness;
· restlessness, excitation, nervousness, or insomnia;
· blurred or double vision;
· dry mouth, nose, or throat;
· decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
· difficulty urinating; or
· an irregular or fast heartbeat.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

or not... smile

Try ginger capsules about 45 mins before boarding next time; if really sensitive to motion, try tincture in a little club soda, or water...a little now, not a cup; if that seems not enough, try the crystalized ginger and eat a few pieces...if that doesn't work, what the heck you doin' on a boat anyway?!!? laugh

Capsules work fine for me unless it's really, choppy, then everything's coming up ginger(so to speak!! Problem with capsules is as they dry, they lose some potency, and with ginger ale's, most don't have enough REAl ginger to help. Tincture's are made with fresh or as fresh as possible as isthe candied/crystalized.

Don't believe I took anything when we went to the Cape lookout light and we were wave hopping, which surprisingly doesn't make me sick perse, it's the stopping and rocking that kills me!!

Steve wink

BTW, I bought the candied and made some tincture/extract for when we go on vacation...plane and ship!! eek

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: The Tidewater Bug #127904 07/05/06 06:43 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigbird:
Quote:
Originally posted by MelJB:
[b] Was somewhat seasick during the Saturday boat trip and then again at dinner, both cured with a little Dramamine. Later developed hives on my arms frown , which I think was a reaction to the sunscreen. But thankfully did not have the bug others have mentioned. smile
What are the possible side effects of dimenhydrinate?
• Stop taking dimenhydrinate and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take dimenhydrinate and talk to your doctor if you experience
· drowsiness or dizziness;
· restlessness, excitation, nervousness, or insomnia;
· blurred or double vision;
· dry mouth, nose, or throat;
· decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
· difficulty urinating; or
· an irregular or fast heartbeat.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

or not... smile

Try ginger capsules about 45 mins before boarding next time; if really sensitive to motion, try tincture in a little club soda, or water...a little now, not a cup; if that seems not enough, try the crystalized ginger and eat a few pieces...if that doesn't work, what the heck you doin' on a boat anyway?!!? laugh

Capsules work fine for me unless it's really, choppy, then everything's coming up ginger(so to speak!! Problem with capsules is as they dry, they lose some potency, and with ginger ale's, most don't have enough REAl ginger to help. Tincture's are made with fresh or as fresh as possible as isthe candied/crystalized.

Don't believe I took anything when we went to the Cape lookout light and we were wave hopping, which surprisingly doesn't make me sick perse, it's the stopping and rocking that kills me!!

Steve wink

BTW, I bought the candied and made some tincture/extract for when we go on vacation...plane and ship!! eek [/b]
I also heard that eating an apple can prevent sea sickness.
HCS

Re: The Tidewater Bug #127905 07/05/06 11:44 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Apples help settle a sick stomach and replace a few lost fluids, and are gentler to keep down...ginger (and the accupressure bracelets that some swear by) are for not getting there in the first place. wink

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users