Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Future of HL Events? #126464 07/11/08 10:29 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I am starting this thread to make people think.

Have you ever attended an in-store or regional event?

In the heyday of collecting there used to be lots and lots of store events. Bill and Nancy were also younger (chronologically) and able to travel. I doubt there are many who could maintain the travel schedule Bill used to keep. As time went on, the number of signing events started to decrease.

With the sale of HL and the desire of Bill and Nancy to actually retire, the event schedule became even more thinned out. To the credit of Lighthouse Marketing, they did ask for Bill to continue to do a number of signing and regional events. Of course, the number of events has been significantly reduced as the Younger’s have tried to enjoy their well earned retirement.

In recent years the attendance at many of the signing events has significantly decreased. For a signing event to be worthwhile to a dealer, they have to sell a fair amount of product which means they have to have a fair number of customers. If dealers don’t have successful events they are not likely to want to have another.

For the past three years we have tried to move the regionals around. We have had one in the northeast, one in the mid-Atlantic, one in the western GL, one on the Gulf coast and one in the Midwest. We have done reasonably well on attendance at most of the events, but I believe we need to hit at least 100 participants at each to make them appear to be worthwhile to HL.

Now before we start up with the choruses of “well, you didn’t have a signing or regional event in my backyard” please remember that it just isn’t possible to go to everyone’s neighborhood. That is why we have tried to move the regional events around, to give more collectors an opportunity every once in a while. I have also tried to add some additional lighthousing opportunities to 5 of the 6 regionals over the past three years to give people an additional incentive to attend. Tony has continued to provide great prizes and give-aways for the events. For the past three years we have invited a local dealer to set up on site to allow you to purchase the regional piece. Starting last year, Tony agreed to make the regional event also a signing event so collectors could easily obtain the signing event piece if they wanted one.

I am looking at possible locations for future regionals. Probably not inclined to go back to the same old locations over and over. If we were going to do that, we would find a way to revive the ICE shows and hold regionals on those weekends. They were always the best attended regionals, and the central Great Lakes area would be ideal for me . . .

I fully realize that participation is driven by many things: your ability to get time off; the cost of travel; the cost of life in general; your changing collecting interests. We have tried to make the regional events a good value for the cost to participate. I think I have been pretty successful at doing that. I do fully realize that with the cost of things today many just can’t travel as they once did. I also realize that those who are able to participate have a great time hanging out and visiting with their friends and learning what is happening with their favorite collectible – and maybe doing a little quality lighthousing along the way.

What are your thoughts? Have your interests changed? Do you have thoughts for regional locations? If so, feel free to email them to me along with your reasoning. Those that know me will realize that while I will accept ideas, I won’t generally comment on pros or cons or give ideas of what the “short list” of locations might be. Who knows, maybe your locations have already been considered . . .

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126465 07/12/08 02:24 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about something on the west coast -- perhaps the greater Seattle area

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126466 07/12/08 03:32 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My opinion will most likely tick some people off, but here go's...

With the Store Singings being limited to such a low number per year now. And with so few people in attendance. I think that HL should just drop them altogether.

As for the Regional's... I love them as they are today, with the addition of your Lighthouseing Trips. In days past they were just Big Signing Events. But now that you have added the side trips for group Lighthouseing, I think more people go the distance to attend. However with the distance involved for most people to travel to get there. I think most people can only afford to attend one event a year.

So my proposal would be to drop the Regional's too. And instead just do One Big Yearly Reunion that would last several days including Lighthouseing Trips. Each year as in the past, be in different parts of the country. One year on the West Coast, the next year on the East Coast, the next on the Great Lakes...etc. I think more people would take a week of vacation to attend one such event. And could better afford the travel involved.

IMHO

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126467 07/12/08 08:55 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think that the Regional events have become almost mini-reunions with the addition of lighthousing trips. They attract more collectors than signing events because they have the potential of several days of enjoyment with more friends, almost a mini-vacation which does not require a substantial investment.

In addition, many of us have lost our local dealers and would have to drive a substantial distance to get to a signing event. With the largest dealers getting the signing events, we see the same locations year after year, and I personally don't want to go to the same place I went last year and the year before that.

After watching some of the planning process for a Reunion and seeing how much work goes into the event, I think it's unlikely that we will see more, and certainly not one per year. I think the answer is to drop the store events and have 3 or 4 regionals in rotating locations around the country. With the pressure of high gas and grocery prices affecting everyone's budget they are affordable and I think every person who attended the most recent regional in New Orleans will tell you, meaningful as well.

So thanks to HL for providing support, Dave for planning, and let's all visit a lighthouse or two together.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126468 07/12/08 10:39 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Store Events

I think the store events are up to the dealer and Harbour lights, it is up to them for how many and who. If they have them I will go if they are in my area of 200 miles. I attend a store for give always, a chance for the gold and a chance to ask Bill more questions about the early years of HL. Many of the store events have nothing to do and all we can do is stand around until the drawing.

But: With all this doomsday talk about less and less everything, there has been one big major change this year and I hope it will keep following thru. Both at the N.O. regional and at the St Aug Store event HL gave out AP’s. If you keep the store events going make it everyone’s worthwhile. Give out more free stuff and chances for AP’s or low numbers.
If I am going to travel 400 miles round trip to a store event and pay $75 for gas, make it worth my while. All store events should have a thumbnail or button that you can only get at a store event not regional. All store events should have some AP’s or single digit give always or at least some double-digit giveaways. If you want people to go to the stores make it worth every ones time and money. Also never give up the gold; it is still a good collector attraction for going to store events.
If Bill can't go to a store event I am okay with Harry.

Regional Events:

I think the regional is the way to go, they are fun and we have many collectors that travel many miles to go to them. I think anyone that goes to a regional will say it was worth the time and money to go to it. I went to N.O Regional with my family and I am very thankful we went. My four kids had a good time and there is always something to do at the regional even for kids.

I agree with the statement above, make it four regionals instead of two. Try to spread it out across the country so that as many collectors as possible can go. If this takes away from store events than so be it.

If we are going to have only two regionals next year, I think the south Atlantic states have sat here patiently waiting for its turn. I feel the best choice for a southern reunion is Charleston, SC. It has not been chosen before, has a lot to offer and it is very centrally located for the southern collectors and still in a reasonalble traveling distance for the mid atlantic states.

I feel the second regional for next year should again be up in either the great lakes or north/mid atlantic states, but a new and different location. I am not familiar enoft with the northen lighthouses or cites to pick a location, but I feel that area is the strongest with collectors and lighthouse, and should always have a regional.

If we had a third regional then it should be on the west coast. My concern for having a regional on the west coast, specially at the North pacific area, is what kind of turn over would it get.

Fourth regional: Texas never had a regional and there is a lot to do there.

Reunions:

Reunions are a different animal and it should never effect regionals or store events. Reunions are in a different price range and we should never give up any store events or regionals so that there can be a reunion.

St Augustine Event:

There has been much talk about the St Augustine event being the Same-O, Same-O each year and many collectors are ready for a change. I love the St Aug store event, it has become a family tradition and I would hate to lose this event, but I must admit, it somehow needs to be spicen’ed up. Maybe we could have lighthouses races up to the light and back for the gold? vhappy

Rich and I had been playing around with an idea for the St Aug Event. We could make a second day and use the companies café at where I work. It over looks the river in Jacksonville and we can have the Café all day {cost is not an issue). We could set up stuff in the large foyer adjacent to it, like the old days of regionals and invite HL dealers of Florida and different lighthouse organizations. Rich and I could bring some of our old lighthouses and I could bring some of my variation collection in person. Compare a California to a Canadian, to a Malaysian. Get collectors excited in the old collectables again?

DANIEL
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126469 07/12/08 12:57 PM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
I will second Charleston, SC for a regional event. For in store events, I was spoiled for several years when Bill had a massive travel schedule and came to my local Harbour Lights dealer which was about five miles away. Then when he reduced his schedule due to his retirement (well deserved BTW) last year I went to a store signing about 200 miles away(my limit). This fall I plan to go to another in store sigining event about the same distance. I have yet to attend a regional and would love to do so. I'm just unable to due to driving distances/travel costs. Also, having just lost my job to outsourcing outside the USA doesn't help the matter either.

Charleston would be perfect for a regional and offer plenty of side trips for lighthouse exploration. I think there would be a very good crowd if Charleston was chosen in the future for a regional.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126470 07/12/08 01:51 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I heard there is supposed to be a Florida Lighthouse Challenge next April. Would be good if a regional could be somehow combined with that, maybe even in Georgia or South Carolina.
HCS

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126471 07/12/08 04:05 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've attended many in-store events and can see doing away with those at this point. I wonder how not having regional sales reps any more will affect those events?

I would like to see the time, effort and expense all directed into regional events even though, of course they can't always be in everyone's neighborhood.

An area I would like to see for a regional would be the extreme northeast, a Canadian location with plenty to organize as side trips. PEI, Nova Scotia...

Judy

Judy
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126472 07/12/08 04:36 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll give my two cents even though I probably don't have a right to until I start going to regional & store signing events.

I think the focus going forward should be on regional events. The two each year is a good amount. The regional plus Dave's lighthouse tour sounds like a good package. I wouldn't have anymore store signing events, maybe one or two at the most. This way Bill Younger could focus more on his retirement and only have to fit a few days a year, for the regional events, into his schedule.

My focus is to start going to the regional events. It not both, atleast one a year.

Where to have them? Hopefully to tie in a specific lighthouse release, or even just a good place to do some lighthousing.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126473 07/12/08 05:05 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I feel that the store signings(fewer and fewer each year) should continue with Harry taking over from Bill. While I've never attended a Reunion or modern day Regionals(because of my wife's severe back problem) I would forgo the Reunions(way to expensive) and stick with the modern day "Dave" Regional. Seems to me from what I've read that they are just as much fun as the Reunions and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. It really doesn't matter where they are held as my maximum driving distance away from home is 100 miles unless Charleston was chosen and then my wife could visit with her sister that lives in Charleston. Daytona, Jacksonville, Tampa or Charleston are my choices.

Rich
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126474 07/12/08 05:12 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lighthouse Loon, are you going to the Cedar Point Regional?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126475 07/12/08 05:23 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I like your suggestion, Judy..

As Shoeless said in the movie"The Field of Dreams", Dave, if you build it and the Brady's will come!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126476 07/14/08 08:24 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlighthouse:
Lighthouse Loon, are you going to the Cedar Point Regional?
My answer at the moment is NO, but there's still time.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126477 07/15/08 01:01 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like the regionals. N.O. was the first one we attended and we enjoyed the time we spent with different people, sometime as a group or one on one visiting. Visiting lighthouses together as a group. Bill enjoyed the trip and we saw lighthouses that we probably would not have seen on a trip on our own.

Cyndi
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126478 07/24/08 01:34 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sorry for being so long getting back to this thread. Somewhat interesting to me that many of the posts did essentially say what I have thought for the past couple of years: with Bill trying to retire, end the signing events and go with regional events.

A little more background thinking for you:

Reunions are much more work than most realize. One of the reasons they are more expensive is that they are all inclusive; and, the Mackinac gathering had to be completely self sufficient with no HL subsidy other than the prizes. When collectors came to Mackinac, once they gave their keys to the valet parking folks (paid for) they had to spend no money if they did not want to. All their meals, their hotel, the ferry ride to the island, the carriage to the hotel, all the gifts they received were all included with their registration cost. Even the piece of Mackinac fudge was included. That gathering took me to Mackinac a total of five times for 3-5 days each trip. So, reunions just aren't going to happen too often, perhaps not ever again.

It is my belief that the regional events are the best middle ground option available to collectors. By trying to move them around we have tried to give more folks a regional within reach at least once every few years. And, yes, there will hopefully be a regional in the west. By adding lighthousing opportunities I have tried to also make it more of a "destination" gathering for folks so they can make a vacation of the trip - a regional, ligthousing with friends and maybe a little touring on their own. Trust me, there have been some great adventures tied to these gatherings.

Deciding where a regional might go does have some thought behind it. Not only are we looking for somewhere new, but things like what product might be coming out, nearby dealers and other items are taken into consideration. Not going to make everyone happy every year. Not everyone can make every event every year. Especially if we are able to really spread them out, travel can be expensive. And, there is always the "been there, done that" factor that comes into play. Trying to find a location where maybe we can see several lighthouses or related museums has to be considered. In the past I have asked folks where they would like to go for a regional and really don't have a lot of response. Many just wait to see what is on the menu and then decide if the choices are part of their diet . . .

While you can be assured this thread has been read, it is still important that you let Harbour Lights know that you hope they will continue to sponsor collector gatherings of some sort. Of course, it always helps that people show up for the gatherings so HL knows that there really is interest in them.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126479 07/24/08 11:45 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I know I have mentioned this but I will put it in here so maybe others can say Yes or no.
I would love to go to the areas that are harder to get to because you need that boat and there are no charters.
One would be Northern Maine. I love Maine
Washington State. Might have to do it 2 different years there to get it all or most of it
Oregon is one
Northern California
Apostle Islands
I also miss those wild rides in upper Michigan and if there is not to be one ever again that is a consideration.
Florida Keys (I know thats a tough one)
Massachusetts would be great.
THese are my thoughts and I know it might not be anyone elses but you asked so I offered
Of coarse there are many more so maybe people will go where ever you have them if they have the funds to do so.
I will go as long as I have the money or frequent flyer miles and hubby does get crazy about them.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126480 07/24/08 04:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My vote? Cape Cod. And I've seen almost everything there.

Close to many people.

A lot of lights, some harder to see.

Several very strong dealers in the area to support the event.

Potential for pre- and post-excursions all over, from MV/Nantucket to Buzzard's Bay and all the way around New England. Pretty much the centre of the coast.

Some reasonable hotels, including the Lighthouse Inn. (Not as reasonable, but has cachet.)

Not bad in the spring -- I was there in late May (weekend after Memorial Day, but how it broke this year, it was more like a shoulder weekend). Could easily get good rates on hotels and low traffic.

I've done the Cape lights twice now, but if there was a great event in the area, I'd definitely consider going back.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126481 07/25/08 12:56 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
If there's any chance of seeing Matinicus Rock and Mount Desert in Maine as part of a trip, count us in. Those are the only two we haven't seen in Maine and getting to see them has become an obsession for me. They're so far off shore small planes don't go there and the charge to go by boat is way too much--especially now.

Sandy

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126482 07/27/08 12:03 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have only been to one regional and that was a long time ago. It was the St. Augustine Regional and then after the event we toured Cape Canveral and other Florida lights with Dave as our tour guide. It was wonderful and a lot of fun with other WACKOs.

In light of our rotten economy I would vote for no more than two regionals. If we knew ahead of time we could pencil the dates in on our calendars and start saving up. That is critical because calendars tend to get filled up early. Even we retirees are busy!!

My vote would be for Southern CA and Charleston, SC for selfish reasons since we have not done those lights yet. Judy has a good idea with her suggestion of PEI and Nova Scotia. That would be unique since HL has not done an international tour and that would probably be less expensive than others out of the country.

Regarding the in-store events, we had Harry a while back and he is delightful. This year in an effort to help a good dealer we will probably do one with help from our ex-rep who still cares for her dealers and our club. They also allow us to have opportunity drawings which is basically the only way we have of raising funds for our adopted lighthouse.

Judy

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126483 07/27/08 11:46 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Attended one store event in Stillwater. Store closed a few years later.

Attended the Maine Regional in 2006. Had a great time. We were able to attend this regional because it was in October. The regionals in June usually conflict with other plans. Hope to attend another one in the future.

I agree with Fran's comment about seeing lighthouses that are hard to get to.

Re: The Future of HL Events? #126484 07/28/08 03:01 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have only attended one regional event which was the one in Portsmouth VA a couple of years ago. Was nice because my family home is just across the way in Hampton and I was able to combine the trip with a visit with my family. Had a wonderful time and especially enjoyed begin able to enter and climb Old Point Comfort, a light that I had seen numerous times as my husband was stationed at Ft. Monroe. What a thrill to be able to climb that light!

A couple of regional's a year would be nice, with advance notice so that I could try to save the $$ to go and ask for the time off from work. I would like to be able to go to these events, but seems there is always a conflict of one sort or another, or I don't have the $$ at that time.

I will miss the signing events, that is where I really grew to love HLs, meeting Bill, Nancy, Kim and Harry!

Melody
Re: The Future of HL Events? #126485 07/29/08 05:48 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The following are just my opinions around each event. I am speaking for myself and not as President of our club.

In-Store Signing Events
I think that the time has come for these to fade away. With Bill and Nancy retired and Harry tied to a VERY important full-time job at HL, it is more and more difficult to make them happen for HL. While my wife and I have enjoyed the ones that have happened in our area, the reality is the people we all most want to see, talk to and have pieces autographed by are just not going to be available. Let these events fade away.

Regional Events
Two or three regional events a year spread out around the country with Bill, Nancy, or Harry at the event would be great. The expense for people to attend would be less than a reunion (hopefully, if gas prices don't keep climbing) and HL could more easily schedule Bill, Nancy, and Harry to attend. Making them a signing event would increase participation. With Dave's add-on lighthouse tours, you would have a winning package in my opinion. I think a big help to everyone would be knowing, as far in advance as possible, approximately when and where a year's regionals would be so people could plan ahead and start saving up for the regional they want to attend.

Reunions
This is a tough one. My wife and I have been to three on the four (missed the first). With all the lighthousing, gifts, and events that occur, these have been some our most enjoyable vacations. At the same time, they require a tremendous amount of time to organize and pull off. Since a reunion must be self-supporting, they are more expensive for people to attend. My thought here would be to hold a reunion every five years, with the next one in 2010 or 2011. Then everyone involved can plan ahead, similar to High School or College reunions. That would allow our fearless leader and organizer, Dave, more time to prepare and give HL more lead time for "THE BIG SHOW". It would allow all of us lighthouse wackos to plan ahead and save for the big event as well. One last thought, and one that I am sure will not be welcome by all, would be to not hold any regionals the year of a reunion. It would allow all the time and effort for that year to be centered on just one thing.
The down side to this is that no reunion location can hold all of the people that could potential want to attend as we have seen in the past.

Well those are my thoughts. I want to close by giving a big THANK YOU to Dave for all the lighthouse events and trips he has put on. My wife and I have had a great time on each one we have gone on. We have been able to see and visit places we could never do on our own.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users