Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Orelans regional - wrap up #126166 06/13/08 12:15 AM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
This past Saturday was the New Orleans regional event. I will leave some of the lighthousing portion to others, but I wanted to share the regional from my perspective.

After gathering by the hotel pool at 0830 we were off to our first stop – the Port Pontchartrain Light (sometimes called the Milneburg Light by locals). While this light is in plain sight it is easy to miss as it is tucked between two office buildings. Fortunately, my contact with the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation had made contact with one of their volunteers who also happens to work at the University of New Orleans. They had told the rent-a-cops that we would be visiting that morning and had allowed us to park next to one of their lots. (I’ll tell you about our adventure with the office building rent-a-cop later.)

Arriving at the light we were met by my contact, Anne Rheams (Deputy Director of the LPBF) and one of their volunteers, Sharon White.

After a little introduction and sharing of information we took our pictures and headed for the next stop. Not much to photograph as we were not supposed to walk out on the ground around the light.

Next stop was by Bayou St. John where there were remnants of an old fort. Anne told us that the first light in NO was in this area and also the significance of the Bayou and the flooding from Katrina. The flood gates will hopefully help in the future.

In this area you could still see homes that were marked with the infamous “X” notation from rescue searchers. There were also a large number of homes being worked on as well as ones that appeared to be abandoned. A great diversity of homes from very modest ones up to McMansions.

Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126167 06/13/08 12:15 AM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
Our next stop was the one that proved to be incredibly significant for the day. It was the location where the New Canal Light had stood and would be rebuilt. We parked in a restaurant parking lot next to the location and gathered in the shade for Anne to speak to us about LPBF’s plans for the rebuilding of the light. She had pictures of the light as well as a site plan to show where things would go.

She mentioned that the rebuilt light would be on stilts to help protect it from future flooding. At this point one of those magical moments happened – Sharon mentioned that she had purchased 6 New Canal Little Lights and planned to sell them, donating the proceeds to the rebuilding fund.

Bill asked if we could buy one, to which the reply was that we certainly could. He then asked “how much?” Sharon responded that she wasn’t sure, but would quickly research it and let us know. Anne jokingly said “$1,000 each.” Bill said he would take one at $1,000, with Anne saying she was just teasing. At this point he took out $1000 to present to Anne and Sharon.

Anne was starting to tear up at Bill’s generosity. Others then jumped in and purchased the rest of the lights for either $100 or $50. It wasn’t until this point in time that Anne and Sharon discovered that this was “the” Bill Younger which made the moment even more special. After pictures were taken and lights were signed we moved over to the former Ops Building that was being remodeled to allow for a classroom to be used in the LPBF education programs.

Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126168 06/13/08 12:15 AM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
Next stop was the New Orleans Yacht Club where the regional itself was held. Anne and Sharon passed out goodie bags for folks and set up shop to sell the regional and signing event pieces that were available as well as some of their own products. Bill set up to sign the lights while folks visited. Rip ‘n Roy made the rounds selling opportunity drawing tickets for the prizes Tony brought. Everyone gets one entry, but with the great prizes people wanted more opportunities. A little after noon we enjoyed a lunch of red beans and rice and jambalaya along with some great desserts.

As we approached the time for drawings I mentioned that we were a little shy of the nice round figure of $300, so folks dug a little deeper until we ended up with $302. Off to the drawings for some great prizes. Next, Bill auctioned off a really great piece of history: a set of old nails from the light in a box made from wood salvaged from the light. I believe the McBee’s bought that item. Then we auctioned off one of the AP’s – one for the brand new Cape San Blas piece, so new it isn’t even in stores yet. As Bill was busy getting ready for the gold piece drawing I somehow ended up doing the auctioning. Let me say that I was thrown a little by the wonderful bidding between Sandy and Rip. With the bid at $950 Rip deferred to Sandy. What a wonderful gesture by both of these great folks. By this point, I think Anne was showing a bit of disbelief at the generosity of the group. Don’t think I mentioned that earlier Paul had generously paid $150 for the privilege of having the “first signed” event piece.

As Bill drew the winner of the gold piece, Paul mentioned that the winner needed to go to the front of the room to receive the prize. As Bill walked toward the closest table, he asked if he could just hand it to the winner. He then handed it to Judy who said it couldn’t be hers, so Bill basically said “fine, I’ve always wanted a gold piece” and started to turn away. At that point Judy wised up and accepted her winnings.

I asked Tony to come forward. Mentioning his recent ordination as a permanent Deacon in the Roman Catholic church, I presented him with a gift on behalf of Harbour Lights collectors. The gift was a stole, a vestment worn by Deacons. The stole is a beautiful hunter green (the color worn during ordinary times of the church) embroidered with an image of the Boston Light since Tony lives in Boston. I think it is fair to say we caught Tony off guard with a gift that will be forever special to him.

(this image is from Judy Rath)

As we brought the regional to a close, there was one last presentation. We asked Anne to come forward. I had brought Fred’s New Canal piece with me (well, Paul and Sue actually brought it with them…) Bill noted that he might get a little choked up with what he was going to say and then proceeded to spend a couple minutes talking about Fred – his travel adventures, his incredible generosity and what a great example he was. In accepting the light, Anne stated that it would sit on her desk until the New Canal light was rebuilt at which time it would be displayed there.

What a regional this turned out to be. Lot smaller crowd then hoped for, but what a quality group it was. I can honestly say that the generosity shown made me proud to be a Harbour Lights collector. Anne later told me that their gross sales for the day were $5400. People at the office just couldn’t believe it when she showed up with the funds given by that generous group of lighthouse collectors and lovers that she had spent her Saturday with.

As Paul likes to say, “it just doesn’t get any better than this!”

Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126169 06/13/08 02:01 PM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
I'm sure Paul and others will be along with images from this day - this gathering was just special enough that I wanted to share my thoughts with everyone.

Leaving the regional, we headed for Berwick and Southwest Reef light and then on to dinner at Prejeans in Lafayette. I'm sure Paul and others will be along with lots of images and thoughts on the rest of the trip, and perhaps with their thoughts on the regional itself.

Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126170 06/13/08 02:09 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow!
But I'm not surprised, this is what these gathering are all about!
Congrats to all who attended, I'm extremely jealous.
Bob vhappy

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126171 06/14/08 01:45 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a great group of collectors to be associated with! smile

I sure would have rather been there then my 2 weeks of moving. tired

Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126172 06/15/08 12:33 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like the event was great. Sorry I had to miss this one.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: New Orelans regional - wrap up #126173 06/15/08 01:56 AM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Loved all the pictures from the regional. Hope now that I am situated in Kansas City near my grandkids, I'll be able to participate in some of the Lighthouse Keepers events and meet those of you who post regularly. towel

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users