OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bill Younger

Date: Sat. November 13, 1999
Dealer: Christmas Collection
Phone: (407) 327-7244
Time: 11-1pm

Map:
http://maps.expedia.com/default.asp?C=28.66408,0&A=16& OX=0&OY=0&L=WLD0409&Pr=0&P=28.66408,0,1,749+SR%2D436%0D%0AAltamonte+Springs%2C+F L+32714&Title=749+SR%2D436%0D%0AAltamonte+Springs%2C+FL+32714&L=WLD0409

www.christmascollection.com/

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 11-10-99).]

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125955 11/11/99 06:14 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I can't remember being this excited about anything since I was a kid at Christmas!

Anybody out there going? I'll be there and I hope that I get to meet some other Wackos.

Joanne

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125956 11/12/99 04:15 PM
JeffB Offline
I know how you feel Joanne. I still have a week to go and I can't wait. I'm even giving up watching the Cowboys play that day!!

Jeff
Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125957 11/13/99 09:26 AM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Just a few hours to go. I have my pieces to be signed all packed up. I'll bring my camera and hopefully will get some photos of other Wackos and Newbies.

Joanne

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125958 11/13/99 02:41 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Somebody else needs to go -- and get a picture of Joanne with Bill. I think her hands will be shaking too much to get a clear shot. LOL.

Have Fun!

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125959 11/13/99 08:23 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Well it was quite an event for me.

I asked my mother to tag along so she could take three of my HL's to be signed. (She took my photo with Bill. Hopefully, Bill and I will both have the tops of our heads in the photo. My mother is notorious for lobotomy pictures.)

We got there at 10:35 because the signing was to start at 11:00 and I wanted to get there early to look around. Holy Cow! There were already 46 people on line for signings and purchases. It was a good thing that I did prepay for my East Quoddy. I didn't have to get on the payment line (lesson learned here). So I was #46 on the signing line. Everyone on line was busy comparing their pieces and all you could hear was ooh and ahh when someone took out a rare piece.

The configuration of the store was not a simple one. Bill was in the back room and in order to get there, you waited on line that went through the store and past this huge Christmas tree. I'd hate to see the condition of that now. It was not easy trying to maneuver around it. Yesterday I said I felt like a kid before Christmas and today it came true. There I was standing in line in a store fully decorated for Christmas, with holiday music playing and my mother with me. I thought I was five years old again when my mother took me to Macys at Herald Square to see Santa. Well now that I'm 41, Santa has turned to Bill Younger.

He was so pleasant and so friendly. He was surprised to see my HL badge, courtesy of St. John's post a few months back. I did bring my Panama set to be signed and was I surprised, he did sign both pieces! I asked him if we would be seeing a Pharos lighthouse and his comment was, "Pharos doesn't exist". So I guess I got my answer. So as he signed my pieces, I tried to put Panama back and couldn't quite fit the styrofoam back on. (I was smarter with my mother's three pieces, I had them wrapped in bubblewrap and put in one large box.) Right away Bill takes the box and shows me how to put it on. Of course part of the problem was that I had left the certificate in that box and it was blocking the top from sliding in. Figures, I took it out on the other two boxes, so I wouldn't lose them, and I forget to that that one out. But the cover slid in as if it knew it was him.

But, the best of all was that the store had commissioned a local artist to do a painting of the Kilauea piece and they had it printed for those who bought pieces. I already had Kilauea but they gave it to me since I bought East Quoddy. Bill signed them, "Keep the Flame" and his name. That's getting framed tomorrow.

Unfortunately I did not get to meet anyone from the forum but by the time we left at 11:15, the line was clear into the parking lot.

Please forgive my babbling on, but I'm sure you all remember your first meeting with Bill.

JEFFB: Get there early next week!

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 11-13-99).]

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125960 11/13/99 09:40 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great Report, Joanne - we'll be looking for the picture soon. Loved the Bill as Santa analogy.

Not only have you finally met the 'elf' behind Harbour Lights, you've also heard one of his patented replies:

Quote:
I asked him if we would be seeing a Pharos lighthouse and his comment was, "Pharos doesn't exist".

"Pharos doesn't exist" is NOT an answer to your question. It's a statement of fact designed to throw you off the rumor sniffing trail. We all know the ORIGINAL doesn't exist anymore (and there are conflicting descriptions of what it looked like.) Your question "Will we be seeing a Pharos soon" was a perfect pitch from a "straight-man" to Bill.

Now for those of you who haven't been to a Bill signing yet - check the list of events and see if you can make it to one of the remaining few this year. We've got three in Arizona the first weekend in December. It might be many months before there is another opportunity. You need advice on overnight places to stay, email me. I'll be at all three.

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125961 11/14/99 12:37 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great report Joanne, the events with Bill are alot of fun. I also like all the talking going on between the collectors in line. There are many great stories of how they found their "favorite" piece.

Rusty

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125962 11/15/99 12:11 PM
JeffB Offline
I'll be there bright and early Joanne! Can't wait and counting the hours. I stopped in this weekend and prepaid Kilahuea, so I should be all set.!! Can't wait to see the pics of Joanne and "Santa" !

------------------
Jeff

Jeff
Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125963 11/15/99 10:54 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Well, I fell right into the trap. Next time I am lucky enough to go to an event signing, I'm going to put my questions, carefully scrutinized, on a cue card. Quite a sly person, that Mr. Younger. LOL

Joanne

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125964 11/21/99 10:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Joanne,

I am so glad that your wish to meet BY came true for you..Those signings are a lot of fun. I was in TN visiting a friend or I would have been there.

Your line about meeting HL Wackos there...I have found that there are lots of collectors that do not realize that the web page is so much fun. We will just have to get together sometime soon....

What rare pieces did you see, a Coquille or Hatteras?
Derith

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125965 11/22/99 10:25 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline
K
Hi Joanne!
I was just feeling the excitement, again! When you mention meeting Bill Younger, at the Christmas Collection, in Spring, Florida!
I first met Bill Younger, in December of 1998 at Marylyn's Collectibles!
Saturday, December 5, from 10am to 12 noon!
I still have the mailer sent by Marylyn's Collectibles with Bill Youngers picture!
As I recall, I remember just looking at him; when I arrived at the front of the line. I was speechless! Just like a teenager!
I haven't felt this way in years!
But finally, when I regained my composure; I was able to ask question and learned, so much in such a sort time!
He is an exceptionally nice person! Just in the short time spent; I learned so much about him and Harbour Lights! It will be an experience, I will never forget.
Bill Younger will be in Arizona in December and I am looking forward to seeing him again!
Also might meet other Harbour Lights WACKO'S; if I am lucky!
I have been working real hard at becoming a WACKO; before the Arizona Store Event!
Karen :-)

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125966 11/22/99 10:25 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline
K
Hi Joanne!
I was just feeling the excitement, again! When you mention meeting Bill Younger, at the Christmas Collection, in Spring, Florida!
I first met Bill Younger, in December of 1998 at Marylyn's Collectibles!
Saturday, December 5, from 10am to 12 noon!
I still have the mailer sent by Marylyn's Collectibles with Bill Youngers picture!
As I recall, I remember just looking at him; when I arrived at the front of the line. I was speechless! Just like a teenager!
I haven't felt this way in years!
But finally, when I regained my composure; I was able to ask question and learned, so much in such a sort time!
He is an exceptionally nice person! Just in the short time spent; I learned so much about him and Harbour Lights! It will be an experience, I will never forget.
Bill Younger will be in Arizona in December and I am looking forward to seeing him again!
Also might meet other Harbour Lights WACKO'S; if I am lucky!
I have been working real hard at becoming a WACKO; before the Arizona Store Event!
Karen :-)

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125967 11/22/99 10:29 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline
K
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!
I now have (2) of the same article!
Honestly, I was not trying to cheat to meet my goal of 50! Somehow, it just happened!
OUCH!
Karen :-(

Re: Nov.13 "Christmas Collection" Almonte Springs, FL #125968 11/22/99 10:31 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Making WACKO before the Arizona Signings should be no problemo, Karen -- that one above was your 49th.

See you there.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 593 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users