Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wacko Plans around the San Diego Regional July 26... #124891 07/03/03 09:22 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We're working on plans for a WACKO get together around the San Diego Regional Event...

Don't have everything tied down just yet, but you can hold these dates and times for now:

A couple of recommended hotels:

Comfort Inn, La Mesa CA. La Mesa is one town west of El Cajon, home of Harbour Lights and about 25 minutes from the Mission Bay area.

Quality Inn, Admiral Nimitz Blvd, San Diego . This one is located closer to Mission Bay and the SD Airport.

Rates are about the same for both. Some of us already have reservations at each of these. Take your pick.

Friday evening in the San Diego area - a WACKO get together for those who plan to be in town. Time and place to be determined. (Perhaps Old Town?)

Saturday - the event itself on 'Vacation Isle' in the Mission Bay area. Close to Sea World. The event is scheduled for 10 to 3 PM. Here\'s a map to the location

Following the Regional - car pool out the peninsula to Cabrillo National Monument to visit Old Point Loma Lighthouse. The Monument's visitors center will be open until 5 PM. Normally the grounds are closed at 6 PM, but we're trying to make arrangements to be able to stay out in the area until 7 PM. This has not yet been confirmed. However, right now the Old Point Loma Lighthouse is CLOSED because of construction in that area. I will try to get information early next week on the possibility of it being open on July 26.

However -- a special treat -- New Point Loma Lighthouse will be open for touring starting at 3:30 PM until about 5 PM. Thanks to Dave Hannum for making arrangements for this tour.

Remember when you travel out to the Cabrillo National Monument area, you may pass through a US Navy base and base security. I'm told that Catalina Boulevard out to peninsula will be 'wide open until 8 PM on Saturday' so that should not be a problem.

As I recall, there aren't places to eat or get snacks out at the end of the peninsula, so you may need to take a snack along if you didn't get your fill at the Regional.

Saturday evening, after we visit the two lighthouses, we'll gather again for a dinner, time and place TBD, but probably around Mission Bay.

I'm awaiting word on one more possible event that might happen either Friday PM before our dinner or Sunday AM or noonish. I won't have a confirmation on when and if until early next week, however.

If you took the survey, you'll see it mentioned a possible visit to the Harbour Lights office in El Cajon, so it's not a secret, but it's not a given yet either.

Finally, here's San Diego weather, sunets and sunrises for July

Any suggestions on where to eat Friday and Saturday? Looks like from the Survey, most any arrangements on food will work for most people.

Re: Wacko Plans around the San Diego Regional July 26... #124892 07/03/03 09:27 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
While looking at hotel information, I ran across this interesting extra 'charge':

Quote:

There is a $150.00 charge for smoking in guestrooms.
At the Comfort Inn Sea World Area -- not the hotel mentioned above.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,825 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users