Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124511 08/20/03 02:35 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Fred "The Ancient Mariner" Kuhlman is heading East from his home in San Jose, starting out on Sep 2 on a cross-country trip that includes a visit to the Long Island Regional.

I have a tentative itinerary for him and I'd like to have a daily call go out to Fred from different CF members to check on his health and welfare along the route each day.

If you would be available to make a short phone call to Fred around 6-8 pm his local time (along the route) once a week or so, let me know and I'll set up a call list and pass along his cell number.

You can then post his whereabouts to let us know his cross-country progress to Long Island and back.

Thanks

wheresfred@lighthousekeepers.com (Special email address -- but it works)

Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124512 08/20/03 07:12 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Count me in and if he comes down this way we can head to Bolivar, Sabine and send him off New Orleans way. However, if he comes this far south he just might end-up in FL eek laugh now that is a lot of coastline to follow to get to NY from San Jose.

Chuck laugh laugh

bigdragon
Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124513 08/20/03 09:04 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
If Fred follows his normal route, he will go more north, towards his daughter in Michigan. He also has family along that route that he visits on the way.

Let me know what days I am to call, John.

Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124514 08/20/03 10:33 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
For those of us who are fairly new here...please tell us more about Fred. He sounds like a very interesting guy...and I wish him a safe and enjoyable journey.

Judy

Judy
Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124515 08/20/03 11:15 PM
Larry R Offline
If he is heading toward Michigan, I can make a call as he gets close to the Midwest. I've never met Fred, but I haven't met a Wacko I haven't liked, so add me to the list...

Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124516 08/21/03 01:14 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I will start things off, but there are many who know Fred far better than I do. Fred is quite the character, a collector who has had the good fortune to buy all of his HLs at retail, starting with 101.

Several times over the past few years Fred has made the trip east to visit family, including his extended Wacko family. Since Fred carries an oxygen bottle with him flying is not practical. However, as fast as he has made some of his trips he is really flying. One year he showed up in Toledo at a Bill event in November. He has tried to make it to Rosemont most years. He did make it to Baltimore.

On several of these trips we took turns checking in with Fred each day to be sure he was OK and to see how his travels were coming. I think Fred looked forward to getting a call from one of his Wacko family each day.

Here are a couple threads about Fred's recent 75th birthday that will give you a little more insight.

Birthday thread

Birthday follow up thread

Fred is a wonderful person, one liked by everyone who is fortunate enough to meet him. He is incredibly generous - we had the privilege of sitting next to him at the Sunday morning auction in Baltimore where he donated very heavily to lighthouse preservation.

Dave

Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124517 08/21/03 12:26 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would guess Fred might be taking I-80 to NY. I would be happy to give him a call through the Utah area.

Re: The Ancient Mariner Is Heading To Long Island... #124518 08/21/03 02:40 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Since you will be calling Fred on his cell number (out of San Jose), it will be a long-distance call for you (unless you have a cell phone with all calls the same price).

You don't need to plan on calling him as he traverses through your area.

I need a few more volunteers and then I'll email those who have volunteered either by posting here or by emailing me and simply rotate through the dates and names.

Those who will be at the Long Island Regional will, of course, have a chance to meet 'The Ancient Mariner' himself so if you've not had a chance and would like to be in on the call group, you'll have a chance to say "Hi!" in person.

Dittos to all that Dave H has said about Fred.

We're all set for callers now.

You can follow Fred\'s travels here.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users