Next Thread
Print Thread
New Jersey Challenge #123560 10/19/07 04:19 PM
Tony C Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Good Friday Afternoon!

Early this morning,I had a call from Kim (Andrews) Ely; Kim is on her way to New Jersey.

See her at Hereford Inlet Light!

AJC

Re: New Jersey Challenge #123561 10/19/07 04:47 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Tony....is she there for both days or just Saturday?

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: New Jersey Challenge #123562 10/22/07 12:01 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well....we didn't get to Hereford early enough to meet Kim. frown We got off to a late start and ended up getting there at around 4:00pm. She had left at around 3:00pm. Maybe next time. However, we did get to say hello to SeaGirt "Greg". It was good to see him again working at the SeaGirt lighthouse...of course!
We completed tthe Challenge...even made a few climbs this year! We did the night climb at Absecon. The view of Atlantic City at night was AWESOME from the top of the tallest lighthouse in NJ! The weather for this years challenge was PERFECT here in NJ...75-77 degrees both days and sunny! Thanks to all those who volunteered to make this very enjoyeable!

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Re: New Jersey Challenge #123563 10/22/07 04:16 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Beacon Bob, looks like is was a great weekend for the challenge. Is this the second year in a row you've completed it?

One note: Barnegat light is one foot taller then Absecon. I know the people outside Absecon tell you it's the tallest in NJ.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: New Jersey Challenge #123564 10/22/07 07:14 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Regarding the heights...

According to the NPS database (what I'd consider the most "official" source available, being assembled by the government over many years), Barnegat is, in fact, 172 feet to Absecon's 169.

HOWEVER...Absecon's focal plane IS higher...167 to Barnegat's 165. So that might be what they're going by.

We could go on for eons when it comes to tower height, though. There's too many factors, and at the upper reaches, it's especially confusing as the competition leads to the use of different figures.

Re: New Jersey Challenge #123565 10/22/07 07:21 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
We could go on for eons when it comes to tower height, though. There's too many factors, and at the upper reaches, it's especially confusing as the competition leads to the use of different figures.
Greg, If you where to speak in english, are you trying to say: "You can make numbers say anything you want". wink

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: New Jersey Challenge #123566 10/22/07 10:43 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Beacon Bob, looks like is was a great weekend for the challenge. Is this the second year in a row you've completed it?

One note: Barnegat light is one foot taller then Absecon. I know the people outside Absecon tell you it's the tallest in NJ.
Yes...this is the second year in a row that we completed it! towel
I guess the tallest was my bad...I was only going on the fact that it had the most steps to climb of all the NJ lights and that also was what the back of the shirt implies too!

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,173 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users