Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Jersey Bill Challenge #123339 06/13/04 03:43 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
New Event - try to get to three Bill store appearances in one weekend!

First stop, Saturday morning: Susan's Village Collectibles in Smithville. Great shop with several lines of lighthouse collectibles, and featuring a really nice selection of Harbour Lights. They had most of the recent LE's and G.L.O.W.'s and some LE's issued two or three years ago that aren't seen often anymore.

There was a nice turnout, but the only other Connected Collector in attendance was Hank (EASTPOINT) from Millville, NJ. He advised that the exterior restoration of EastPoint is essentially complete, and that they are working with several architects in planning the interior renovations.

The gold event piece was won by Mark Davison, of Iselin, NJ, pictured here with his son and Bill.

Yours truly won a 2004 Collectors Society membership kit. laugh I guess that validates my always waiting till the last minute to re-up. :rolleyes: The Cuckolds piece is large for a Society Gift piece, and is very well done with lots of interesting details. If the Old Cuckolds piece is the same scale, it's gotta be a whopper!

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123340 06/13/04 03:46 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Saturday afternoon: Joy's Hallmark in Burlington, NJ. Typical Hallmark Gold Crown Store, except in the Harbour Lights line they appear to specialize in the New Jersey lights. They had complete sets available of the NJ Lighthouse Challenge LLOM. The proprietors, Ron and Joy Monokian, joined Bill for a photo-op.

Among those bringing (and buying) pieces for Bill to sign was Karen Balon of Mt Laurel, NJ, who's looking forward to this year's NJ Lighthouse Challenge. In the photo, John Borell, of Marlton looks on.

John brought his secret weapon: his daughter Stacie Lin, who received a Three Sisters thumbnail (actually one sister :p )and won a Swarovski crystal ornament and a set of ornament hangers confused and . . . THE GOLD!!!

I understand that Stacie previously won a Hannibal, MO gold piece. She apparently has the Midas touch!

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123341 06/13/04 03:53 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
That wraps up day one. I enjoyed talking with Bill, and his conversations with other collectors, as always. I didn't pick up any new intelligence about HL futures, but I was pleased to hear that Bill's feeling well and looking forward to Oakland in July. But then when he went to his car, I wondered if there was any truth to the rumor that he's developed a fear of flying. confused

Tomorrow, (well, later today, actually) day two in the grueling New Jersey Bill Challenge: Diane's Gifts & Collectibles, Kenvil NJ. Will Lightseeker be up to the task, or will he, like Smarty Jones, succumb to the Philadelphia Curse and lose out on the Triple Crown?

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123342 06/13/04 12:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great report and great photos! Thanks for letting us know about these events and the winners.

Looks like Bill has joined the whole Younger clan on the diet trail. He's looking pretty trim.

As most of you know Bill underwent knee-replacement surgery a short time after the St. Augustine FL Regional Event and the fact that he is back on the 'road' and 'in the air' indicates that the Doctors feel all is well.

God bless!

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123343 06/14/04 04:15 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, Bruce, you got a great illustrated first hald report here. Did you make it to the second half?

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123344 06/14/04 08:54 PM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, there is no joy in Mudville . . .

Actually, the "triple crown" was more of a (poor) joke than anything. I dropped the last location from serious consideration shortly after I located Kenvil in North Jersey, just south of Montreal! I thought about calling up and asking if anyone took digital photos that they'd like to have posted, but since there was a different rep for that store, I decided not to bother them. There's a fine line between "fan" and "stalker".

Maybe another Connected Collector got pix and/or info to post.

John, Bill mentioned the knee replacement - first I'd heard. Apparently it was a resounding success. From the way he's walking, that cane appears to be essentially a fashion accessory at this point.

Bruce

Re: New Jersey Bill Challenge #123345 06/16/04 09:37 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for your excellent coverage of these events Bruce! And yes Bill is sure looking good!

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 805 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users