Next Thread
Print Thread
Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123256 02/17/04 11:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Continuation of this thread

We're getting closer. Today Harbour Lights received the paint samples of the very special very limited exclusive available for those attending the 2004 Door County Event. They are very excited about this piece. This is something of a first for Harbour Lights.

The price and details on distribution will be worked out in the next week and we may be able to post more information within the next two weeks.

If you haven't made plans yet to attend the Door County gathering, better do so soon.

The dinner portion of the event is fully-booked with over 100, but we're going to check with the restaurant to see if we can accomodate more. We'll definitely have a wait list for the dinner event.

However, the lighthouse visitation and comraderie with fellow Harbour Lights collectors and your forum friends will go on all weekend so there's good reason to go.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123257 02/17/04 11:31 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
If you have not already emailed me that you plan to attend, you need to do so ASAP. Use e v e n t @ lighthousekeepers.com (take out the extra spaces). As John mentioned, we are at capacity at this point. We MAY be able to accomodate more, but you do need to respond soon. At the end of this month I will be sending out payment instructions for the dinner, and if you have not responded you will not receive that information (or what I have already sent out with hotel information). We are planning on having a great weekend of lighthousing fun for the Wacko Family.

FWIW, the one way to pretty much guarantee you will be able to get an event piece will be to join us at the event. Production numbers will be low...

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123258 02/18/04 12:52 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There is a posting on the Door County Maritime Museum site about the upcoming Door County Lighthouse Walk. It says that new for this year they will have the Cana Island tower open for climbing.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123259 02/18/04 02:37 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
This year at Door County Lighthouse Walk, I believe will be just very exciting!! I can't wait smile

If you all have not been to one of our "walks", please try to make this one! You will not regret it, and by the way...the more of our friends there the better. We do tend to have a great time! wink

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123260 02/18/04 02:59 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Let me know if you are interested in going to the Pottawatomie lighthouse Open House and Dedication Ceremony on Saturday May 15th (see prior thread). I will try to work out car pools for the ferry.

Several of us also plan to take a boat trip on Sunday. Let me know if you are interested in signing up for one of those.

The Door County Lighthouse Walk this year should be lots of fun!

Suzanne Murphy

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123261 02/24/04 02:17 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
New information has been posted regarding the Door County Lighthouse Walk: http://www.dcmm.org/lighthouse_walk.html

Tickets available on March 1.

NEW THIS YEAR!

1. Access to Cana Island's Tower!

2. Access to Tour the Inside of Sherwood Point!

3. Boat Tour to View Chambers Island Lighthouse

4. Grand Re-Opening Celebration of Pottawatomie Lighthouse

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123262 02/24/04 01:53 PM
TD Offline
WOW!
NEW THIS YEAR!

1. Access to Cana Island's Tower!

2. Access to Tour the Inside of Sherwood Point!

This is great news! I really want to see Cana Island Tower.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123263 02/25/04 01:45 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne...are we going to try to pick a boat tour for the WACKOS to all go on before the March 1st sign-up?

I like the Island Clipper boat tour. Could we do this on Saturday and be able to be part of the re-dedication ceremony for Pottawatomie lighthouse?

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123264 02/25/04 11:10 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Yes, I am considering doing that boat tour on Saturday which would get us to Pottawatomie on Saturday. I am going to see if I can find out the approximate timing for the landing on Rock Island. I am not sure if it will match the ceremony or not, but it might be good enough and would ensure that we are all back in time for the HL mini-event.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123265 02/26/04 04:24 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here is the info for the Rock Island Ferry:

Rock Island Ferry

And for more information on Washington Island:

Washington Island Information

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123266 02/28/04 01:27 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I called the boat company and I think this boat trip will work the best for us on Saturday May 15th. It will let us see several lights, go to the Pottawatomie open house, and return in time for the HL mini-event. Plus, we only need to take one boat, not two ferries.

Gills Rock Boat Cruises
Island Clipper - Leave from Gills Rock Dock. This tour extends into Lake Michigan past St. Martin & Poverty Islands, then docks on Rock Island for a one mile hike to the Pottawatomie Light. Bring your own sack lunch. Pilot & Plum Islands will be circled on the return trip. Great way to experience the Grand Reopening of Pottawatomie Light!

* Saturday and Sunday - depart at 9 a.m. and return at 3 p.m.
o Adults - $35
o Children 4-11 - $15

The boat company said:
We will be docking at Rock Island for two hours. The time will be approx. 12:15 - 2:30. Arrival at Gills Rock will be closer to 4:00 p.m. These trips are always weather dependant.

Tickets are available March 1st. The boat company said we could also put our names on his list and pay the day of the boat trip.

When you buy boat tickets - sign up for the SATURDAY trip. The boat capacity is 150, but they limit the lighthouse tour to 130 to give folks a little more room.

You can order tickets online here: http://www.dcmm.org/lighthouse_walk.html

Suzanne Murphy

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123267 02/28/04 01:32 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Event Exclusive for the Door County Harbour Lights gathering will be previewed at the chat on March 3 @ 9 PM ET.

Harbour Lights has determined that the edition size for this item will be just 500.

We'll have details on the price and distribution at the chat as well as photos.

About 115 are registered for the dinner on May 15 so far. Dave is checking on whether we can expand this number.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123268 02/28/04 04:01 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey John, ...How do we get to purchase one of these special pieces if we are not present?

confused Bob confused

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123269 02/28/04 06:14 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That's a question we hope to have the answer to by Wednesday.

Right now the one sure way is to be there. Stay tuned.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123270 02/29/04 04:46 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hello,

Although I visited Door County in 2001, this is my first lighthouse walk. I'm having difficulty deciding what to do as there isn't enough time to do it all.

Are any of you planning to go on any of the boat tours on Friday? We only made reserverations for 3 nights (Friday - Sunday). I'm trying to decide if we should leave for Door County on Thursday instead to get there in time to participate in activities on Friday. (We're driving. I think it took us about 6 hours to get there last time.)

What about Sunday? The boat tours sound great. However, I also want to do the self-guided tour and visit some of the lights that haven't allowed access in the past.

Tammy

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123271 02/29/04 05:49 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Tammy - Which boat tour on Friday? Are you talking about the Fire Boat cruises in Sturgeon Bay? I have done that and it is fun, but does not get close enough to Sherwood Point to get a good photo unless you have a really good zoom lens. I had a 200mm with me when I took the cruise and it was not good enough. On the Canal station side, the boat turns between the land light and the pier light, so one cannot get the perspective from out on the water of looking at both.

I am planning on arriving on Thursday to do some early lighthousing and socializing with Wackos on Friday. I will be at Keepers Kin Friday night. Several of us plan to take the Island Clipper boat tour on Saturday and do land lighthouses on Sunday.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123272 02/29/04 08:13 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne,

From what you said, it doesn't sound like the Sturgeon Bay one is worth it. The other boat tour for Friday is the Baileys Harbor Boat Tour. It says that it goes past Old Baileys Harbor Light. I don't recall seeing that light when I visited. Do you know anything about that tour?

Thanks,

Tammy

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123273 02/29/04 09:57 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm with Bob and am awaiting the news to find out if there is any way for a non-attendee to obtain a special piece other than to wait for one to show up on Ebay.

Melody
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123274 02/29/04 10:48 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The Fire Boat cruise was fun, but not worth it if you are going on it to photograph lighthouses.

You can see Old Baileys Harbor from land, don't need the boat tour to see it. The last few years the marshy area near the shore has been dry enough to walk out closer across the water from Old Baileys Harbor for the camera to get a good photo. It does help to have a zoom lens of course. The boat trip might get you closer and at a different angle. Cana Island is somewhat blocked by trees from the water side. You can see the top of the tower. Friday would be a good day to take this boat tour.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123275 02/29/04 10:55 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would think that a good many of us would like to find out how we can get hold of that special piece. I wish and wish and wish that I could make it out there, but alas the opportunity to go is not in the cards.

Bert frown

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123276 03/01/04 02:43 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Tammy -

Pam and I decided to go on the Baileys Harbor Boat tour on Friday at 1:00 p.m.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123277 03/01/04 01:56 PM
TD Offline
Tammy,

I have been on every boat tour for the Lighthouse Walk. Last year I was on the Baily's Harbor boat but we never got to Cana Island. Boat problems! The best boat ride and the longest is: The Island Clipper, you see the most lights than any other ride.
You won't see all the lights over the weekend so I would only do one boat ride.
In my opinion I would do Cana Island first thing on Saturday morning or Sunday morning. You have to take a shuttle bus and then walk to the light.
You will have a great time.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123278 03/01/04 03:29 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
I visited Door County in 2001 and was able to visit ALL the lights in one weekend. I did the Island Clipper cruise on Saturday, then drove quickly to Bailey's Harbor for the bus trip to Cana Island. Sunday was Bailey's Harbor range, Sturgeon Ship canal lights, Sherwoods Point, Eagle Bluff and then the 3:30 cruise to Chambers Island.

It can be done.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123279 03/01/04 05:15 PM
TD Offline
Wow! I am impressed. That is really moving to see them all in one weekend.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123280 03/01/04 10:52 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
First off, the bad news - there will probably NOT be a preview of the special event piece this week at the chat. HL has asked us to wait until all the distribution details are worked out.

From some of the "off line" conversations I have had with folks, I want to make sure everyone understands several things:

• The Walk is a self-guided tour of the mainland based lights. Unless you buy a ticket for the tram tour, you have to get from light to light on your own. The one exception is Cana Island, where you MUST take the shuttle from Baileys Harbor. HL will be set up at the BH shuttle station.

• We encourage folks to car pool as much as possible. Not only is parking limited at many places, the roads are crowded. Also, to see Eagle Bluff you have to enter into a WI State Park. They don't do anything at all to help support the concept of the weekend, and it will cost you $10 a car load to get in. (How many people can you legally fit into your vehicle???) This is also the closest light to our hotels (I believe) so perhaps a trip up there and then to other places.

• The Friday evening shindig at the museum in Sturgeon Bay (Keepers & Kin) is a desert reception, not a dinner. It should be a nice event, and Kim will be one of the speakers.

• Don't even think about speeding in Door County.

We should have a meeting/gathering room available at one of the hotels on Friday and Saturday evening. We will encourage everyone to make use of them to visit and set up tour plans for the weekend.

I expect to send out instructions on how to pay for the Saturday dinner in the next week or so.

Dave

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123281 03/01/04 11:25 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I tried to buy tickets online today for the Lighthouse Walk and the Island Clipper boat tour. The site was not working properly so I went ahead and just called them on the phone.

Suzanne also reported that the site was not yet working but was told it would be up in a couple of days.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123282 03/01/04 11:42 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
You're right Lorie, I found it just as easy to call them. It is a fast, and courteous service.

A note to all that are going to buy their walk tickets at the time of the walk, they are $3.00 more. After April 30, 2004 the walk tickets will be $15.00.
Also, the time to buy the boat tickets is now, as the popular boat trips can fill up fast.
The Island Clipper which leaves from Gills Rock that will eventually get us over to the Pottawatomie Grand Reopening may fill quite fast because of this special event on Saturday!

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123283 03/02/04 01:29 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
People will probably want to car pool with Wisconsin cars to Eagle Bluff, the park sticker isn't as expensive. I usually get a year sticker for Wisconsin State Parks anyway.

Suzanne Murphy

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123284 03/02/04 10:40 PM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
We just bought Island Clipper tickets online and it worked. Looking forward to the event and seeing everyone. smile

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123285 03/02/04 10:45 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
How many of you WACKO's out there are planning on going on the Island Clipper boat cruise on Saturday May 15th. I understand they won't be docking until 4pm. Will this give us enough time to get cleaned up and to the Harbour Lights Fish Boil dinner in Bailey's Harbor by 5pm?? Any thoughts or ideas out there?? I was wondering if Sunday would be a better time or is everyone wanting to be there for the reopening ceremony? I am perplexed as to what to do!! confused confused confused confused

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123286 03/02/04 11:33 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Kat,

A direct shot from Gill's Rock to Baileys Harbor for dinner will be about 40 minutes. The route will take you past the Birchwood, not far from the Somerset. You may not make the start of the event (if we do start at 5), but we won't schedule the dinner until 6-6:30 or so. Go for the trip - the dedication won't happen again, and you will be in the company of a lot of your lighthousing friends.

I'll probably have to pass on the trip, but I will do everything I can to work around the timing of the trip. No matter what happens, you know everyone will have a good time.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123287 03/03/04 10:00 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When I tried to buy my tickets on-line last night, the price for the island clipper was showing as $70 a person. I tried again today, and the on-line store was temporarily closed. So, I called to order my tickets today.

We're going on the 1 pm Bailey's Harbour Boat Tour on Friday that Suzanne and Pam are going on, the Friday night reception, the self-guided walk and the Island Clipper.

According to the lady who helped me, 12 people have signed up for the Island Clipper on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. I don't know if she was counting those who've ordered on-line.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Tammy

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123288 03/03/04 10:20 PM
LightHog_dup1 Offline
I ordered tickets yesterday, by phone, for AK and I. We plan on going on the Island Clipper boat cruise on Saturday May 15th, the 6:00pm Keepers Kin reception on Fri. and the walking tour on Sunday. We have reservations at The Birchwood for Fri, Sat, and Sun and plan to attend the Sat night WACKO festivities.
Looking forward to seeing old friends again and making some new ones.
Roger

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123289 03/04/04 12:25 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Okay Dave I took your advice and booked Larry and I on the Saturday Island Clipper boat trip so its up to you to save me and Larry a seat at the dinner laugh :rolleyes: :p wink smile . I am sure going to the reopening of the Pottawatomie Lighthouse will be worth it. And by the way we purchased out tickets online...its working just fine now for anyone interested in getting their tickets via computer.

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123290 03/04/04 04:42 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
KAT,
Dave better save all our seats eek
It will be nice to see you and Larry again..of course we will be seeing you in St Augustine first??
Have a safe trip!

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123291 03/04/04 07:57 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
The director of liquid refreshment is a go for this event! smile

Arriving Green Bay Friday around Noon, room at the Birchwood for 3 nights. Also booked the 9am boat ride on Saturday and ordered the walk ticket.
(The website was down again this afternoon so I called.)

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123292 03/04/04 08:46 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY... laugh IT'S TIME TO PARTY!! So glad to hear you are coming, it's really going to be fun, fun, fun...
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123293 03/04/04 10:06 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sure glad you're going to come party with us Sue. laugh

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123294 03/04/04 11:08 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Sue will be driving the old milk truck that has been repainted in a polka dot theme. It is now known as the "keg-mobile" and comes complete with 3 taps on each side for your liquid refreshment. Some of you folks will have to be helping her get the keg onto the Island Clipper - Roger, can we count on you to coordinate the loading? (Sue will already be loaded)

Sue is concerned that one keg may not be enough for the trip, but when I reminded her that the keg would have to stay on the boat while everyone hiked to the lighthouse, she decided one keg should do it. She hopes to be able to find a keg of Black Label laying around somewhere for the boat trip.

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123295 03/04/04 11:24 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I could always send the truck on ahead via the 2 ferry route....

Polka dot trucks and fish boil? Yah, it's Wisconsin alright. Yust dontcha make me eat no lutefiske and lefse. laugh

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123296 03/04/04 11:51 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
I am so happy you're coming Sue!! Polka dot truck and all!
You know, I have a picture in my mind right now what that would look like...you coming down the road perhaps wearing a purple dress driving your truck filled with kegs of who knows what.....

Anyway, it will be one HUGE party and lots of fun seeing everyone!!

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123297 03/04/04 11:57 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yo...Terry says he will stand by and take care of the keg :rolleyes: when we all walk to the lighthouse...not sure how much will be left when we get back though... laugh
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123298 03/05/04 10:02 AM
LightHog_dup1 Offline
Sue,
Glad to hear you'll be making the trip. The visual I have of the truck, just won't go away. laugh

Dave - of course you can count on me to load the keg, or was that get loaded with the keg :rolleyes:

See Ya'll soon
Roger

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123299 03/05/04 01:44 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Do you have a sidecar for that machine of yours Roger? We can just load it in there! laugh

Looking forward to seeing old friends at this event and meeting some new ones! smile

OK, question. I didn't order a ticket for the boat to Chambers Island. Should I do that? The description says it goes by Eagle Bluff Lighthouse also. Is this a better alternative to seeing Eagle Bluff by land (not having to pay the $10 admission)?

Another question. Is the light going to be returned to the lantern room at Pottawatamie?

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123300 03/05/04 03:01 PM
dkhemming Offline
The Hemmings will be on the Clipper too.

laugh laugh laugh

Kate & Dave
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123301 03/05/04 03:07 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Sue,
I just got this in from Suzanne....

"My answer is no, that boat trip is not a better alternative because you cannot see Eagle Bluff very well from the water. I wouldn't worry about the state park fee. We plan to load people into cars and split the cost. If we can load people into Wisconsin cars, the cost is only $5.00. Eagle Bluff is a lighthouse that you can tour inside. It is a museum and has a gift shop."

"Also, no the light is not going to be returned to the lantern room at Pottawatomie. They do not own it."

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123302 03/05/04 06:22 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
OK Pam, thanks for the answers. So I guess I just skip Chambers Island, not sure whether you got to stop there or only view it anyway. And yes, I understand about combining folks to save on the entrance fee to Eagle Harbor. I'll have a rental car, from Wisco, so would think the $5 rate would apply there too? Will be happy to fill it up if needed! smile

(We spend all this money to go and then go crazy trying to save a few bucks on that entrance fee. Sounds like a woman kind of thing, lol! But also I guess it's a protest of the State not giving us a break for the weekend. Being from NY I can certainly appreciate that!!!)

Hmm, owning the light? Does that have to be a requirement to having a lighthouse relit? It seems that Hudson Athens was lit prior to it's being owned, while it was still leased... Well it's not always practical to relight anyway. Some have so many trees blocking the view, etc. Personally I think every lighthouse that could reasonably be relit should be, once they're restored. That was the whole point of their having been built.

(Sorry to go so far off subject. I'll be still now.)

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123303 03/05/04 10:17 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Sue, I am with you on trying to save a few bucks, even though we spent Mega $$ getting some where. It is a woman thing, because most men probably wouldn't admit to something like that!! wink

I will probably drive the van, so I can fit a lot eek of folks in it too!

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123304 03/06/04 01:16 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Sue - I didn't mean that they didn't own the lighthouse, I meant that Pottawatomie does not have the Fresnel light that was in the lighthouse. It was removed years ago when the lantern room was removed from Pottawatomie and a modern beacon was put on a pole where the lantern room used to be. Then that was removed and nothing was there. The light was placed on a tower next to the lighthouse and is still being used.

So, there is no light to put in the restored beacon room. Harbour lights did donate one of their fresnel lights to use as an example to show in the lantern room. I am sure the Friends of Rock Island would love to have a real fresnel lens to put there.

Here is the story of the fresnel lens: Coast Guardsmen manned the station until 1944, automating the lighthouse in 1945 with a battery-powered flashing beacon. In the 1980’s the lantern room was disassembled, the lens removed and stored in a crate in the basement of the lighthouse. The lens has since disappeared. Its whereabouts is a mystery. A battery-powered beacon was placed on the lantern deck. In 1986, solar panels replaced the batteries. Three years later the Coast Guard with the aid of a helicopter, erected the present steel tower west of the dwelling and moved the beacon to it.

- - -

I am sorry people are upset about the park fee, but our state is in a terrible budget crisis and Peninsula state park is a very beautiful park to be in. Park fees are the only way to afford upkeep of the park. I would hate to lose such a treasure.

When I was visiting New York last September we paid much more than $10.00 crossing bridges and going through tunnels!

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123305 03/06/04 01:30 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Last week I asked the DCMM & LPS about the Chambers Island trip to find out about it going past the lighthouse. In the past this trip used to dock and people would hike 1.5 miles to the lighthouse. This is not the same trip as then. But, there is a clear view of Chambers Island lighthouse from the water, so you would be able to see it and photograph it.

Eagles Bluff lighthouse is not very viewable from the water due to the bluff, trees and the stone wall in front of it. They have cut down some trees and it is better than it was, but still not a clear view.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123306 03/06/04 02:22 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the additional information Suzanne.

Many of the lighthouses that are currently being relit do not have fresnel lenses, just the more modern optics which function quite nicely such as those installed in the Lake Champlain lighthouses that have been relit. The new lights are very similar to those that were removed from the nearbly towers. Maybe when we go to Pottawatamie we can move the light from the tower to the lantern room. Do we have a volunteer to climb the steel tower? eek

Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123307 03/07/04 06:23 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Pottawatomie Lighthouse Restoration:

http://www.harbourlights.com/lighthouses/potawatomie/

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Door County WACKO Gathering May 04 #123308 03/07/04 10:58 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Continued in Part 3 .

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users