Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carmen Slice Memorial Fund - An Update #122026 12/18/00 07:05 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I received a very moving letter from Cullen Chambers, Director of the Tybee Island Historical Society, in today's mail.

I expect others who contributed to Carmen Slice's Memorial Fund also will be receiving this letter:

Quote:
Dear John,

I am writing this letter to you to thank you for your donation to the Carmen Slice Memorial Fund. Because of your donation her name will be added to the Honorary Keepers' plaque and on a memorial brick at the Tybee Light Station. These type of letters are the most difficult to write, especially when the loss is so tragic and untimely. There are no adequate words to express the feelings of those who become involved after the tragedy, to console the loved ones left behind.

We have become an extended family, those of us involved in the preservation and appreciation of lighthouses. We share a universal love and appreciation of their past and an awareness, and alarm over their future. We form a bond through that mutual love, a bond that bridges all other differences and all distances. A death, especially such a tragic one such as Carmen's breaks for a moment that bond, as we sense the loss of one of our own. However, in our close-knit family we close our ranks and extend to her loved ones and to each other a hand of understanding, regret, and reflection.

It is obvious, based on how Carmen is described by her loved ones, that she lived her life as a light in the darkness, "always bright cheerful, supportive." Carmen's death, as tragic as it is, causes those of us within the lighthouse community to pause and remember that while we may differ in our past, our paths lead to the same destiny and destination. Her untimely and tragic death sends a signal much like the light from a lighthouse to warn us of how limited our time on earth is and how much we need to acknowledge and appreciate each other more, as we travel life's' uncharted dangers. Her "brightness, her support" much like the beam from a lighthouse continues on beyond her passing. Those who knew and loved Carmen had their lives made brighter. I did not know Carmen, personally, however, having learned so much from those who did, I think of her each time I watch the Tybee Lighthouse at night. If you will do the same whenever you pass a lighthouse, you will keep Carmen's brightness among us. Her brightness will not dim but will merge with those who have gone on before, lighting the way for the rest of us to follow, so that we too, shall find our way -- safely home.

Sincerely,

Cullen Chambers
Director

Cullen certainly has a way with words.

Re: Carmen Slice Memorial Fund - An Update #122027 12/19/00 12:36 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I, too, received this letter today. I have to say it is a very powerful and well written letter, one that truly is worthy of being re-read from time to time.

Dave

Re: Carmen Slice Memorial Fund - An Update #122028 12/19/00 12:56 AM
Torchbearer Offline
We also received our letter today. I too found it very powerful, and eloquently written. Obviously it was penned by a very compassionate individual, whose skill of words moved my heart each time it was read. My heart goes out to Carmen's family and loved ones.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Carmen Slice Memorial Fund - An Update #122029 12/19/00 01:15 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
We also received our letter today from Cullen Chambers. I can only agree with what the others have said. A Great letter written by a Great person about something so very important!

Paul and Sue Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Carmen Slice Memorial Fund - An Update #122030 12/19/00 01:50 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We also received our letter from Tybee Island Historical Island...How nice it was for them to take the time to acknowledge each and every person that participated in the memorial for Carmen...this says so much...

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users