Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mayo Clinic Info #119775 11/16/05 02:32 PM
kory63 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I've been very lax on paying attention to or participating on the Forums since the Reunion due to a number of issues.
The biggest one is that my doctor is out of suggestions for dealing with a health issue I have and has suggested and has referred me to the Mayo Clinic. The issue seems to be related to the 2 back surgeries I endured in 2003 and is not considered life threatening.
I'm looking to the WACKO Nation for any information or experiences you or someone you know may have had at the Clinic.
I have found little on the internet and my doctor has not made a referral in several years.
I'm hoping there are folks out there who can provide some info on what to expect and how things might work when I get there. I've been told that I will be contacted by the Clinic at some point but right now I am just beginning the referral process and in a "waiting" mode. So any info would be appreciated. I know of it's great reputation, my doctor refers to it as a "center of excellence" but that's about all.
Again, any info that anyone might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated as well as your good thoughts and prayers for some positive answers to my problem.
Thanks,
Rick

Re: Mayo Clinic Info #119776 11/16/05 03:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Rick --

It's amazing what the people from the CF can do to help.

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ. My wife has worked for Mayo Clinic/Scottsdale for the past 5.5 years and during that time, I've been under their health plan. Excellent care, highly recommended.

You usually do NOT need a referral to make an appointment and get care at Mayo.

Obviously, the more information you and your present and past care-providers can give at your first Mayo appointment, the better - including X-rays, scans, lab test results, etc.

I don't know your health insurance situation, but some health plan providers will pay for Mayo Care. Some may want you to have exhausted care from your plan participants before covering your Mayo bills.

If you are on medicare. You will be asked to sign a medicare waiver which basically says if medicare won't cover your bill, you will. Medicare WILL cover some or all bills.

My now-75 year-old mother-in-law had a Mayo encounter winter before last while visiting us for a 2 week trip -- which turned into a 2 week stay at the Mayo Clinic Hospital (Phoenix) and 2 more months with us afterwards. Her total out of pocket was zero. She has a medicare supplement.

There are several Mayo websites.

Here\'s the one you want to start at

Quote:
Appointments at Mayo Clinic are prioritized on the basis of medical need. Appointment requirements will vary depending on the specialty. Timely appointments are available for urgent problems.

Most specialty areas at Mayo do not require a doctor's referral, but a few do. Many insurance plans require a referral from a plan doctor in order to get access to Mayo Clinic. You should check with your insurance company to determine what, if any, requirements it has for obtaining care at Mayo Clinic.
Here\'s a page with information on back pain treatment through Mayo -- not much info on it, but several links.

There are three Mayo Clinic locations. In addition to Scottsdale, there's one in Jacksonville FL and the main, largest and oldest in Rochester, MN.

(Of course the one closest to any lighthouses is Jacksonville.) If you head out to Arizona, I'll be happy to stop in and see you and we've got a few other Desert dwellers who would be glad to do the same.

Lots of places to stay around this one and the others. At the Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, there is a Marriott Courtyard on the grounds.

Good luck. You'll get the best of care at Mayo.

The Mayo Clinics are famed for their 'team approach' to care. Many different disciplines and testing all focusing on your care.

I'll email you my phone number if you want to chat further.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,351 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users