Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did I miss something? #11939 06/06/09 10:58 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I was about to click on the link that used to appear at the bottom of the CF page and it was gone. Where did the link go that lead to the Harbour Lights web site?

I've been less than attentive to the CF other than a couple of quick daily visits. My new job keeps me very busy. Plus we have purchased a new boat and a new car within the last six weeks. We are trying our best to stimulate the economy. We're making it and spending it. Why work hard if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor. God bless America!

smile Bob

Re: Did I miss something? #11940 06/06/09 11:44 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I changed the bottom-of-the-page link about a week ago. It now takes you to the "Active Topics" list for the CF instead of to HarbourLights.com.

Re: Did I miss something? #11941 06/06/09 02:36 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

Any paticualr reason why this was changed at this point in time?

Dennis

Re: Did I miss something? #11942 06/06/09 02:50 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Nothing evil; it's just easier to type harbourlights.com than lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_daily to get back to the most used page on the site.

Re: Did I miss something? #11943 06/06/09 07:55 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Who said anything about evil?

Just curious as to why after all this time the link to HL was taken off.

I know we went through a big todo in the past when the link from the HL site to the HLCF was taken away.

Dennis

Re: Did I miss something? #11944 06/07/09 10:01 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Nothing evil; it's just easier to type harbourlights.com than lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_daily to get back to the most used page on the site.
HOGWASH

This just doesn’t make sense to me.
We already have a shortcut to today active topics. Now we have two.

We are cutting our connection to Harbour light because it is too hard to type in Lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_daily FOR the most used page site? Just use the shortcut button on the upper right hand side that has been there for over seven years.

Since the title of this forum is the Collectors forum. Any major change like this should be the forum member’s decision. We all have bought our shares into this forum buy buying WP Lighthouses and we should be a part of a major change in the forums.

Vote

DANIEL
Re: Did I miss something? #11945 06/07/09 09:56 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Since the title of this forum is the Collectors forum. Any major change like this should be the forum member’s decision. We all have bought our shares into this forum by buying WP Lighthouses and we should be a part of a major change in the forums.
I feel your statement is somewhat harsh, Dan. If you purchased the remaining WP's, and bought back all those already sold to collectors, you wouldn't be buying a controlling interest in the CF. We would all thank you for your generous donation, but that would be about it.

Every person who takes the time to post information at the CF has an interest in it. A very small group of individual have kept this forum going for many years. Many of them have sacrificed thousands of hours over a very lengthy time span so the rest of us can enjoy our visits. The CF has lead to many great times and the establishment of friendships that will last until the end of time.

Is this a Harbour lights Forum? One could imagine it as that. I sincerely believe we have contributed to the overall success of Harbour Lights through the good times and provided a communication link for those collectors who still remain faithful to the line in the not-so-good times. You must keep in mind that Harbour Lights is not the only topic of conversations at the CF. We all love to hear about member's adventures, posts concerning family members,and certainly enjoy the personal photography works of many of our members.

Members of this forum do not always agree on everything. Keeping that fact in mind, there are some topics we avoid because they can be controversial and would not serve the memberships' needs for interaction. We avoid arguments that can drive people away, but do enjoy a spirited discussion that draws interest thus encouraging people to visit and post.

Lets not be judgmental on decisions made by those who give their all to keep this thing going. Decisions must be made and they won't always be popular. Negativity will drive people away, and that's the last thing we want when we are all trying hard to keep the CF alive. We are all on the same team so think positive to keep this favorite site ongoing for many years to come.

Bob

Re: Did I miss something? #11946 06/07/09 11:03 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Is a link to Harbour Lights really that important? Have you ever considered adding a bookmark?

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Did I miss something? #11947 06/08/09 12:21 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I guess I am looking at this differently. Maybe everyone looks at this as a bookmarker problem. I look as this as us cutting off our forum affiliation to Harbour Lights. John has just retired from Harbour Lights and then takes away the shortcut.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally Agree that John has done alot for this forum and for Harbour Lights. I respect John and I apologues that I sounded harsh. I just think this is a bigger issue than just a short cut and we were given a pacifier answer, not the truth.
That is why I made a big deal out of this. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing.

I honestly always try to speak out for the collector and do what is best for them. Apparently I am the minority. That is why it is best that I retire from this forum.
I will no longer participate on this forum except to sell my collection.

I will still take question on the secondary market on my email.

Good Bye

DANIEL
Re: Did I miss something? #11948 06/08/09 12:40 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Over react much?

But hey if you can't take someone disagreeing with you with out trowing a tantrum, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Eric
Re: Did I miss something? #11949 06/08/09 08:03 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Gee, I asked a simple question about a link that has always been there, disappears, and suddenly a big controversy erupts. I asked the question because I was curious. Isn't that why we ask questions?

Now we are embroiled in a controversy that has members at odds with another member. This type of conduct is becoming more prevalent in our society. Some people aren't kind to other people because they disagree with an action taken by that other person. People are often beaten up or killed just because they did something the other person doesn't agree with.

Daniel, you have been a great contributor to the CF. You have worked hard sharing your research and I find your posts both interesting and informative. I do not want to see that end. You should reconsider and stay. You have ruffled some feathers but I think those people who were offended will find it in their hearts to forgive you. If they can't forgive and forget then shame on them. I, for one,want you to continue to post.

Bob

Re: Did I miss something? #11950 06/08/09 10:48 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Daniel, Please don't leave the forums. This is too minor an issues to say goodbye over. I for one enjoy your posts. STAY !!!

This was obviously something important to you and you spoke out on it. Isn't that what these forums are for. Plus there are others who agree with you, based on the poll results.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Did I miss something? #11951 06/08/09 01:00 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I have not commented on this post as it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other how I get to the HLs webpage (I presently have it bookmarked). I also think it will be a great loss to the Forums to have Daniel leave over such an unimportant issue as the removal of a link (my opinion) but obviously not Daniel's opinion.

What does matter to me is how some of our members have reacted to Daniel's post with their remarks. These Forums are for everyone's enjoyment and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should be free to voice that opinion unless it degrades another person or concerns politics or religion. While I don't agree with Daniel's decision to leave the Forums, I can certainly understand his reason for doing it. John must have had a reason for doing what he did, but, it would have been nice for John to let us know that he was thinking of deleting the link and at least ask was it being used before he took action. In John's defense, he is the Webmaster and can do what he wants. In Daniel's defense, he was only stating that for the past 5-6 years the Forums have been supported through donations from the members and through the sale of the Exclusives. This makes all members a part owner of the Forums even though John is the Webmaster. I see both point's of view and feel John and Daniel have simply a disaggreement over what transpired, however, John as Webmaster should have the final say on his website.

Daniel stated his thoughts and concerns over this matter and was immediately chastised by members in both this topic and another separate topic. I think that DANIEL SHOULD BE FREE TO POST HIS OPINIONS AND NOT BE CHASTISED FOR DOING SO. I had the same criticism when I was lobbying for the Opportunity Drawing and several comments were made concerning my numerous posts on the subject. I felt I had a responsibility as a member of the committee to make sure everyone was aware of the drawing and that is why I posted so often. We have many visitors and members that read only the most recent posts instead of reading all the posts. These members may or may not have missed the Opportunity Drawing announcements and I was making sure they were given a fair chance of seeing it.

I think what I'm trying to say is everyone should walk a mile in the other person's shoe before they start making negative comments on another person's post. This goes for ALL involved in this situation. I hope Daniel will reconsider his decision, but if he doesn't, I can certainly understand where his decision is coming from. I also hope that others will sit back and realize that some members have ideas and thoughts that may or may not align with their's. If you don't agree with these thoughts and ideas, email that person and let your feelings be known in private.

Rich
Re: Did I miss something? #11952 06/09/09 12:56 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

I agree with everything Rich has said. Daniel, please, please stay.

bobo

Re: Did I miss something? #11953 06/09/09 01:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We seem to have a dilemna here. If I can't post to this forum a topic or reply to a topic without first wondering how it will effect those reading my post, than to *&^%$# bad. A forum is an OPEN discussion of thoughts. We should not treat this as to what will people think of me if I do or don't agree with a post. Reminds me of the question, "Do you still beat your wife?" Either a yes or no reply is a negative. There was a time when I did feel intimidated by some of this forums members. In fact, I recommended this site to other lighthouse fanatics, and they described it as "clique". Move on. There has to be more relevant things to discuss.

Re: Did I miss something? #11954 06/09/09 04:15 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wickywacky:
Move on. There has to be more relevant things to discuss.
How about we talk about the new release's? Isn't that how most of us found this site?

** Please see the Collectors Choice thread in the Lastest Models forum. **

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Did I miss something? #11955 06/09/09 06:04 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Move on. There has to be more relevant things to discuss.
Great advice, Wicky!

smile Bob

Re: Did I miss something? #11956 06/18/09 10:15 PM
B
Bill Bowen Offline
B
I have not posted on the forum since this subject first appeared, and am somewhat saddened by what I have read on both sides of this issue. Differences of opinion on any issue should not in my view take on a personal tone. Perhaps we all should step away from this matter, calm down, take a few deep breaths, and return to the true purpose of the forum. I do agree with those who advise, "Let's move on".

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users