Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goodbye my friend #118832 12/05/02 10:07 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I said goodbye to my best friend last week. A true companion to the very end. This spring when the car hit him and sped away, the vet said he'd never walk again, "put him down" he'll never be the same. 2 weeks later he was chasing birds and bobbing for goldfish in the backyard pond as he had done as a pup. Everything seemed fine, then this summer we were told he had developed kidney problems and would probably die. After many pills and a strict diet the problem went away. Another close call. Then last month (as if he hadn't went through enough this year) he suddenly started having siezures for no apparent reason. The doctor tried every medicine and every possible combination but nothing could control the daily seizures. The look in his eyes told me that he was ready to finally give up.

We decided that Thanksgiving Day was going to be our day together, our last day. The house was silent, Becky and Ryan were away enjoying the company of family. Enjoying the silence, we sat on the couch, his head laying peacefully on my lap as he had done for the past 9 years, his favorite blanket keeping him warm. The strong drugs that were given to keep him comfortable this last day did their job well. The illness decided to stay away and give us this day, a good day. The ocassional glance and the look in his eyes assured me that he was happy and had enjoyed his short life with us.

The next day he was gone. Until his last breathe, as the strong drug did it's peacefull and humane job his eyes never left mine as I held him in my arms and felt his body go limp. It should have been my job but it was he who was doing the comforting till the very end.

They say animals don't know when they are going to die. Don't believe that for a minute!! Had he gone fast, yes that might have been easiest but I know I will remember that last day together for the rest of my life.

Goodbye my friend, I miss you so much but I know this emptiness will pass and you are waiting for me at the rainbow bridge and at that time we will cross together.

Re: Goodbye my friend #118833 12/05/02 11:11 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sorry to hear about your loss! You had me in tears by the end! The part about holding him to the end brought back memories of my own. My pet of choice is a house rabbit. I once held one of my bunnies in my arms as the vet gave him an injection. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I'll never forget it. Unfortunately my 6 1/2 year old bunny is sick. He doesn't eat enough, and I have to feed him with a syringe and give him 3 medications twice a day.

Anyway, sorry again for your loss. Your dog sounds like he was very special. Treasure your memories!

Re: Goodbye my friend #118834 12/05/02 11:27 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks for sharing your loss with us, Steve. Pets are very much family who love their masters unconditionally. Rest assured that this friend of yours knew you had done everything to keep him with you for as long as you could.
Derith

Re: Goodbye my friend #118835 12/05/02 11:29 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Digger, I'm truly sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how hard that can be. We've been blessed with many wonderful years with some of our animals and despite having had a couple of our cats in our lives for 20+ years and knowing that they've had long, wonderful lives that they've shared with us, it's still never easy to see them go.

Gary

Re: Goodbye my friend #118836 12/05/02 11:56 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Digger, I'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend...it tells me a lot about you though that you stayed right there with him to the end. It was four years ago that I had to make that same decision and although it was very difficult I know in my heart it was the best for my Molly Dog.We will see these fine friends again some day but for now you must grieve for your loss...take care Steve.
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Goodbye my friend #118837 12/05/02 11:58 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sorry to hear about your loss, Digger! It's a sad day when one loses a friend like you did. All my dogs lived to be over 14 years old and eventually died. Believe me when I say I'll never get another, but we now have two instead of one and I love them both.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Goodbye my friend #118838 12/06/02 12:07 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Digger, I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your dog. There have been so many of us this year that have lost our 4 legged friends. frown

Re: Goodbye my friend #118839 12/06/02 12:17 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Sue and I feel your pain, Digger...

Like Mombo said a bunch of us have lost our four legged friends this year... our two new kittens are helping us not forget Comet but remember him all the more..

Paul & Sue

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Goodbye my friend #118840 12/06/02 12:28 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Digger,

As I read your post you had me in tears. We had to put down one of our dogs this summer. It is one of the hardest things to do even if you know it is for the best. Yes, I think they know when it is their time. Cody never complained and was a trooper all through his journey with treatments that in the end didn't work. But in the end he knew it was his time.

Even when another pet enters your life you never forget the things that made the ones before special.

Take care.

Mary and Jeff

Re: Goodbye my friend #118841 12/06/02 02:33 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A very touching tribute to a friend who touched your life for many years, Digger.

Thanks for sharing it.

Re: Goodbye my friend #118842 12/07/02 03:14 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve,

A wonderful tribute to a very special friend. I would say he was lucky to have you in his life, but I think the luck goes both ways. We are all with you in this tough time.

Dave

Re: Goodbye my friend #118843 12/10/02 03:51 PM
lhlover Offline
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. Any one that says a pet isn't a part of the family is wrong; they become as loved and as important as having a child. I love me two girls (cats) very much and hate to think of the day they will have to leave me. Treasure your memories and he will be with you forever.

A lovely tribute - I was moved to tears. Best of luck to you in your time of grief.

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Goodbye my friend #118844 12/13/02 03:34 PM
Mike Hershberger Offline
I've been there too, and I know how tough it is to watch them go like that. It's good that you helped him as long as you could. And really, just being there with him that last day was the best thing in the world you could do for him.

Do you think maybe you could post a picture of him here so we can see what your buddy looked like?

Re: Goodbye my friend #118845 12/13/02 04:55 PM
eskilady Offline
Steve - What a touching tribute to your best friend. I know exactly how you feel as we had to put one of our girls down last fall. In 1997, I lost my best friend when I took him to have his teeth cleaned. I told him that I would see him later but later never came as he died on the table. I know exactly how you feel, Steve; the pain will ease but will never go away. Just remember all the good times that you had with him.

Eskilady

Eskilady

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users