Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Speedy recovery wishes #118806 07/09/01 12:53 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
In an email from Bruce (lightseeker) he told me of a mishap he had recently. He had a motor scooter accident and shattered his tibia. This required extensive surgury and Bruce will be laid up for some time. He did this on a trip involving lighthousing! Although this trip was cut short he did manage some nice photos prior to the accident which I believe he'll be posting.

Get well Bruce!

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118807 07/09/01 01:10 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I second that! Get Well Soon, Lightseeker! While you're recuperating, you can visit the forums!

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118808 07/09/01 01:20 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bruce,

I hope you have a speedy, pain free recovery. Is there a good lighthouse book you been meaning to read? Now you have the time.

Get well soon!

-Todd

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118809 07/09/01 10:54 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bruce,
Along with the others I am praying for a speedy recovery, and I ditto the remark that this will be a good time to visit the forums and lay back and enjoy some lighthouse books.

Rusty

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118810 07/09/01 12:41 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OUCH!!!!

Be careful!!!!

Walk!!!!

Take Care and have a restful recovery!

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118811 07/09/01 01:52 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bruce, Take care! You should know that a scooter is no match with a tower.

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118812 07/09/01 10:17 PM
RRohweder Offline
Get better quickly Bruce. And I have to agree with the idea of "Be Careful!"

Rich

------------------

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118813 07/10/01 01:34 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Bruce,

Hope you have an uneventful and hopefully speedy recovery from your surgery. Now that Mombo has us all wondering, you are going to have to share the story with us. Hopefully you will also share some of your other lighthousing exploits.

Dave

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118814 07/12/01 02:40 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
So sorry to hear about your scooter mishap, Bruce. Hopefully you are healing well. Let's hear the story sometime soon.
Derith

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118815 07/12/01 05:56 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes, and a special thanks to Sue for soliciting them.

Not much of a story. We flew to Bermuda on Saturday, 6/23 for a planned week's stay at the (Fairmont) Hamilton Princess. On Sunday, Claudia was a bit under the weather, so we got a late start, but did manage to get out to St David's Light. It doesn't compare to Gibb's Hill light in stature or location, but I think it's a picturesque little light that would make a good Collectors' Club "Gift". Probably not significant enough to be a regular LE.

Anyway . . . Monday morning we did get an early start and, after breakfast, decided to head to the beach at the Southampton Princess. We've driven the motor scooters on previous trips with no problems, but this time, while rounding a downhill curve, I couldn't get it to slow down. I was off the road, trying to get it back on, and foolishly put my left foot down on the ground. Heard a slight "pop", eventually got the scooter stopped, put both feet on the ground to steady it, and thought I'd wrenched my knee a bit. When I went to step off the bike completely, I went down like a ton of bricks.

Claudia was up ahead; by the time she suspected trouble and came back, a very nice Bermudian gentleman had stopped to help. He called an ambulance for us, the ER had x-rays taken, and an Orthopedic Surgeon on staff advised returning to the states for surgery. Came home Tuesday in a leg brace. US Airways managed to get us into first class, so the flight was comfortable.

Found a terrific Orthopedic Surgeon at Bryn Mawr hospital who spent about six hours on July 3 putting the top of my tibia back together with screws, plates, and probably duct tape. He even came in on the Fourth (in bbq garb) to check on me. I have a ten-inch incision down the front of my leg, and a five-inch one beside it. The 47 staples come out this coming Monday. It should be about ten weeks total before I can walk on it at all, and significant rehab thereafter. Expected outcome: nearly full function.

Claudia and I certainly celebrated our 36th wedding Anniversary on July 3rd in a unique way. Can't recommend it, but we'll never find ourselves saying "where were we on our 36th?"

Wish there were more of a lighthouse tie-in to this story, but we honestly weren't planning to go to Gibb's Hill till later in the week. One really good thing: we took out vacation insurance, so will get a refund of a significant portion of the cost of the trip. That will go into a fund for our return, which will hopefully be SOON!

I have a few St. David's pictures on PhotoPoint. I'm still working on putting the link on the Forums. It's not as easy as emailing the link, but I know if I go back far enough in the Forum on Using These Forums, I'll find the right info.

Again, thanks for all the good wishes, they mean a lot to me.

Bruce

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118816 07/13/01 01:37 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
He even came in on the Fourth (in bbq garb) to check on me.

Now, the real question is "did he bring you anything from the BBQ?" or were you stuck with hospital food?

So glad you found a good surgeon and that the expected outcome will be nearly full use. They just keep getting better and better at fixin what we manage to break! Hope your recovery goes by as quickly as possible, and that you are able to get out to East Point next month to see Nancy and your fellow connected collectors.

Here is a link that may be helpful in your picture posting, courtesy of Saint Tim:
How to post pictures from Photopoint with your messages

Dave

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118817 07/13/01 05:49 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Dave,

He didn't bring me any food from the bbq on the fourth, but that may be where he got the extra bone to pack into my tibia on the third. Actually, Bryn Mawr Hospital has pretty good food, and I mean not just for a hospital.

Thanks for the link. I had tried using Tim's technique, which displays the image right in the posting. However, after a day or so, it displays a message from Photopoint that it's no longer available, even though it still appears in the Photopoint album. Apparently the actual picture location changes periodically. The address of the album containing the photos apparently stays constant. So what I'm trying to do is post the link so it will appear as a link, and clicking on it will take you to the album.

In other words, I'd like to insert a link in my post that is more like the link you gave me to get me to Tim's info. The url is: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1747540&a=13455882. I believe there's a prefix and suffix I have to wrap around it to get it to act as a link. I have plenty of time to work on it.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Bruce

Sonuvagun, it IS a link. Right now Photopoint appears to be down (even trying their home-page), but when it's back up, I presume this'll work. If so, I'll stick it in a post in the Wish List Forum - I think maybe more people go there.

[This message has been edited by Lightseeker (edited 07-13-2001).]

Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118818 07/13/01 08:07 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Thanks lightseeker I was getting a bit teed off at photopoint tech support Email and got an auto response saying they would get back to me in 24 - 48 hrs i was about ready to tell them to shove photopoint.trying to get info from a machine is maddening.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Speedy recovery wishes #118819 07/14/01 12:32 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Lightseeker - check the Forum \'Bout These Forums for a way to do links like you want.

Hope your leg is up and running soon! :-)
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 07-13-2001).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,466 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users