Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Christmas for Connie Small #118190 11/25/01 02:04 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Henry and I were up to see our good friend, Connie Small, in Portsmouth, NH, this weekend. Within our chat with her, she mentioned that she pretty much has to stay inside the Retirement Home during the winter months, as it is both difficult and not safe for her to go out in the cold and slippery conditions of a New England winter. After all, at 100 plus years of age, she has to be very careful not to get ill, or to fall as she did two years ago. She now needs to walk with the help of a 4 footed cane. Other than that, she is wonderfully alert and talkative, loving to reminisce about her days as a lighthousekeeper's wife at some of the toughest lighthouses in Maine. Having no family to visit her and being indoors, I know she likes to read. I am sure she would love to receive a winter note from you. It would be so nice if you would add her to your Christmas card list this year. Her address is: Connie Small, c/o The Mark Wentworth Home, 346 Pleasant Street, Portsmouth, NH 03801.

She did receive some birthday cards, after I posted last spring, from states far away and even one foreign country, and she was absolutely tickled pink to think that strangers would be so kind to her. (By the way, pink is one of her favorite colors). I hope you will be kind to her again at this Christmas in her 100 year plus 6 months of young age. She is an amazing woman.

For any newcomers here, Connie is basically responsible for convincing the Coast Guard in Maine to give/sell their no-longer wanted lighthouses to non-profit groups, so that they were preserved and saved for all of us to enjoy today.

*** Please see my posting on the General Forum on how you can order her autobiography of life at sea in a lighthouse, for someone on YOUR Christmas list.

Merry Christmas in advance to all of you, and thank you for making a little lady happy in Portsmouth.

Barb Hupp

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Christmas for Connie Small #118191 11/26/01 04:03 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Barb, thanks for updating info on Connie Small. I for one will be sending her a Xmas card this year.

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Christmas for Connie Small #118192 11/26/01 04:13 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Barb;

Count me in. Mrs. Small is now on my Chistmas card list. What a great idea. I can think of no better way to express our thanks for all she has done for lighthouse preservation than to help make Christmas a little bit special for a really special lady. May God bless Connie Small!

Dale

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,786 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users