I was unable to edit a previous review written some time ago, and since I considered the additional information somewhat important, I've had to repost it. The new passage is outlined in quotes. I hope you all will view this with tolerance.

The original post read:

I've just finished another lighthouse book which is outside the mainstream of LH books we usually see advertised. While I have some mixed feelings regarding it, I'd recommend it for the beautiful photographs alone.

"Lighthouses - A Photographic Tour",
ISBN 1563139251
captions by Julie Stetzko Taff,
Browntrout Publishers, Inc.
P.O. Box 280070
San Francisco, CA 94128-0070
1-800-777-7812
www.browntrout.com

Published in 1998, hardcover, 9" x 12", 114 pages, $25.95. (I got mine from Barnes & Noble.com for 30% off, or $18.16 plus shipping)

The pros are: wonderful colorful photographs, some of which are two-page spreads and are the product of almost 100 photographers, good color printing, registration, and rendition, and glossy stock paper.

The cons are: a number of mislabeled photos or captions which are misleading or quite inaccurate. Examples are:

Page 60 - Mendota (Bete Grise) Light, Michigan. The caption places the light in Mendota Heights, Minnesota. This is two miles from my home in suburban St. Paul, an odd place for any lighthouse.

Page 68 - Duluth North Breakwater Outer Lighthouse is miscaptioned as "South".

Page 72 - The caption calls this light "Whitefish Point", when actually it's Forty Mile Point. The caption belongs on page 75 by the proper photo, and this photo has the caption from Forty Mile Point.

"While there is an index, it's a random one and is not arranged alphabetically, nor by state or region. This forces you to read the entire index list when trying to locate a particular light. This is both awkward and time-consuming."

There are several other minor (but irritating) errors, but in the overall scheme of things I felt this book offered good value. There are unique photos from first class photographers, and you should enjoy your photographic tour of some of the most photogenic lighthouses in the world.

"**** (4 stars out of 5: recommended. Would be a 5-star publication had it not been for the index complaint)"

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild