Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111452 03/22/01 07:50 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There's been of another School Shooting in California -- this one in El Cajon. Authorities say gunfire erupted at the Granite Hills High School this afternoon and at least one person is injured. TV reports say as many as three people were shot. One person is said to be in custody.

The shooting comes less than three weeks after a shooting at Santana high school in nearby Santee.

I called Harbour Lights and they do have one employee who has a student there, thankfully he is fine. I told Harbour Lights that they will have a lot of collectors sending prayers out their way.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111453 03/22/01 08:30 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for posting this Paul...I too was concerned about any HL employee with children at that school...Sure makes you wonder if these shootings will ever end...

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111454 03/22/01 09:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harbour Lights also has an employee whose mother is a teacher at the school. She is OK and was sent home after the incident at the school.
Update of the information about the shooting....
The El Cajon Police Department confirms several shots were fired this afternoon
At Granite Hills High School, home to 29-hundred students. There were no fatalities. Two teenage boys were injured and taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital. One of the boys in his late teens, is the alleged shooter. Witnesses say the suspect, armed with a rifle and handun, was wrestled to the ground by police at the scene. The suspect exchanged gunfire with a police officer and was injured as a result. The officer was not hurt. Two deputies were at the school at the time of the shooting "for a totally unrelated incident". Students filed out of Granite Hills High School and walked to a nearby Grade School where they were picked up by their parents.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111455 03/22/01 10:31 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Thank you for the information.
I also was wondering when I read the news.
Prayers for safety for all students and their families everywhere!

This just has to stop.

Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111456 03/23/01 12:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's very difficult to understand what goes through the mind of a person who would commit such a dastardly deed. They aren't always the ones to blame.

Give your kids a hug each and every day and tell them you love them. This is the best preventative maintenance you can do.

Bob

Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111457 03/23/01 06:45 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
As each day passes it makes me glad I'm not a teenager in today's society. Things aren't as kind and as simple as they once were. When I was growing up, a parent could control a child by a simple look. Is the answer that parents don't discipline kids as we were or is it that they're over-disciplined? I knew if I did something wrong, I was going to get punished and that was deterrent enough. Do today's kids think there is no price to pay for your action?

I'm just glad that no one appears seriously hurt and I'll be happy when my nieces and nephews have all graduated.

Joanne

Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111458 03/23/01 10:23 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
There will always be some people in our society who cannot handle their problems other than by striking out at innocent victims. But they don't have to do it with guns. Years ago folks fought with their fists but they seldom killed. Bullets kill.

On a lighter note, sort of, here in Syracuse today a local school became alarmed when hearing gunshots. It was a military funeral at a neighboring cemetary!

Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111459 03/27/01 12:34 AM
Jake Offline
Being a high schooler now is sometimes a scary proposition. When this stuff happens, you know that there are going to be copy-cats, but where? Would your school be next? Your friends? Teachers? YOU?? They don't see wrong in what they do, some see revenge, some are so blinded by rage, they probably don't see anything when they're doing it, and others see glory. It is almost 2 years since Columbine, and we're still talking about it. The library long since sealed off, shooters long dead, memorial made, a town's innocence taken away, and 2 year later, when something happens, the first words every news anchor says: "Columbine." But there are others. "Littleboro." "Santee." "Pearl." and there are, sadly enough, many more. So many people made immortal because they killed someone, and more often than not, someone that they never meant to kill. The media makes them immortal, and drills them into our heads so we'll never forget. Yet nothing changes. Many safety precautions springing from Columbine have had some good results, but the truth is, if the people want to do it, they will. In my school alone, everyone knows about the one door that's always open. You get there a little after school, you can go just about anywhere and do just about anything, and see no one. About the only thing you can do is hope that it doesn't happen here. Hope that the security measures work, hope that someone says something. In conclusion, I'd say that silence is truly golden, but also deadly. Silence of the media can prevent glorification and copycats, but silence of someone who has been told can be deadly. It's all just a vicious cycle.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111460 03/27/01 02:53 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
IMHO, there is only one true dependable security system that can work against this violence, caring people that listen to their sons, daughters or friends. To have the strength and courage to listen and to help with the problems long before it gets to this point.

Re: Shooting at High School in El Cajon #111461 03/27/01 05:20 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Stephen, you said it all so well. As adults we can talk about it and talk about it and never really find a solution to this growing problem. You and your fellow students at your school and other schools have the only true solution. That is to let an adult know when a young person appears to be "loosing it." You obviously recognize that from your comment... "I'd say that silence is truly golden, but also deadly." The best comment you made however is... "Silence of the media can prevent glorification and copycats." I think the question then should be how can the we make the media understand that we don't feel the need to hear all the gruesome details of these shootings. When asked why they do this kind of reporting their usual statement is "it's the public's right to know." Well I don't know about the rest of you here but I have never been asked if I wanted this kind of reporting. Stephen, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users